Is There a Ring Homomorphism for All Unital Rings in Evaluation Homomorphism?

• Thread starter Monobrow
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and uniqueness of a ring homomorphism from a polynomial ring to a given unital ring, specifically in the case of noncommutative rings. It is proven that this property does not hold for polynomial rings in noncommutative settings, but it does hold for free algebras. The discussion also touches on the concept of evaluation and division algorithms in noncommutative polynomial rings.
Monobrow
Is it true that for any unital ring (not necessarily commutative), that we have a ring homomorphism for all a = (a_1, ...,a_n)[itex]\in R, from R[X_1,...,X_n] → R given by sending a polynomial f to f(a)? I have only ever seen this for fields. I cannot think of any possible reason it would be false for general rings but I just wanted to make sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not true.

Take for example the Weyl-algebra. This is [itex]W=\mathbb{Z}<a,b> / (ab-ba-1)[/itex]. So it is the algebra generated by a and b such that [a,b]=1.

Anyway, consider the polynomial ring [itex]W[X,Y][/itex]. There does not exist a homomorphism T such that T(X)=a and T(Y)=b.

Indeed. If it would exist, then T(XY)=ab and T(YX)=ba. But XY=YX, and thus ab=ba. So it fails.

The problem is that polynomial rings have an inherent commutativity which is not compatible with noncommutative rings.

Very related to your question is the question about free objects of commutative R-algebras (with R commutative). The polynomial ring is a free object for this algebra. But as soon as you allow the algebras (and R) to be noncommutative, then it is not a free object anymore.

The free object in such algebra is given by [itex]R<X_1,X_2,...,X_n>[/itex]. These are polynomial rings in which the [itex]X_i[/itex] and the [itex]X_j[/itex] do not commute. In fact, there are no relations between the [itex]X_i[/itex] and the [itex]X_j[/itex] at all.

The property you mention in the OP fails for polynomial rings in noncommutative setting, but it holds for the free algebra I mentioned above (in commutative or noncommutative setting).

Thanks a lot. It was the non-commutative case I was worried about and it's good to see why it doesn't work.

I think you need to be a little careful even to define polynomial rings and evaluation over non commutative R. I believe one usually assumes R[X1,...,Xn] is a ring in which the elements Xi are in the center. Then, given an element a of R which may not commute with the coefficients of a given polynomial f, one has two evaluations of f at a, left evaluation and right evaluation. Nonetheless these two maps are useful; in particular there is a left and a right division algorithm, and two remainder theorems, allowing you to compute the remainder of both left and right division of f by (X-a).

This is all discussed on pages 37-41 of Fundamental Concepts of Higher Algebra by A.A.Albert.

1. What is an evaluation homomorphism?

An evaluation homomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two algebraic structures. It is a function that preserves the algebraic operations and properties of the structures, such as addition, multiplication, and identity elements.

2. How is an evaluation homomorphism different from a regular homomorphism?

An evaluation homomorphism is a special type of homomorphism that maps elements from one structure to another by evaluating them at a specific point. This is different from a regular homomorphism, which maps elements from one structure to another without any specific point of evaluation.

3. What are some real-world applications of evaluation homomorphisms?

Evaluation homomorphisms have various applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and algebraic geometry. They are used to encode and decode messages, detect and correct errors in data transmission, and study algebraic varieties and their properties.

4. How are evaluation homomorphisms useful in cryptography?

In cryptography, evaluation homomorphisms are used to perform mathematical operations on encrypted data without revealing the original values. This allows for secure computation and communication of sensitive information without compromising its confidentiality.

5. Can evaluation homomorphisms be composed with other functions?

Yes, evaluation homomorphisms can be composed with other functions to create more complex mappings between algebraic structures. This composition preserves the homomorphic properties, making it a powerful tool in mathematical analysis and problem-solving.