Evaluation of an integral

Main Question or Discussion Point

Does anyone know how to go about solving

[itex]\int e^{(x^{2})} dx[/itex]

Answers and Replies

not expressible in terms of elementary functions. Using the "special" function, [itex]\mbox{erf} (x)[/itex] (the "error function", defined by [itex]\mbox{erf}(x) = 2/\sqrt{\pi} \int_0^x e^{-t^2} \ dt[/itex]), you can express the integral in this way, though:

[tex]\int e^{(x^2)} \ dx = -\frac{i\sqrt{\pi}}{2}\mbox{erf}(ix)+C.[/tex]

Essentially what this means is that you either have to compute definite integrals with this integrand numerically, or look up values on tables for the error function.

Data said:
not expressible in terms of elementary functions. Using the "special" function, [itex]\mbox{erf} (x)[/itex] (the "error function", defined by [itex]\mbox{erf}(x) = 2/\sqrt{\pi} \int_0^x e^{-t^2} \ dt[/itex]), you can express the integral in this way, though:

[tex]\int e^{(x^2)} \ dx = -\frac{i\sqrt{\pi}}{2}\mbox{erf}(ix)+C.[/tex]

Essentially what this means is that you either have to compute definite integrals with this integrand numerically, or look up values on tables for the error function.
This is helpful. I have the bounds. Thaks. It is weird that there is no analytical solution to something that looks so simple. I did write a taylor series and integrated that to get an infinite sum that is equal to the integral. It is:

[itex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)n!}}
[/itex]

that's like the classic example of something that has no elementary solution...

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
The "erf" function is tabulated for real arguments only...

Daniel.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Give me a link to the page in A & Stegun where the erf function of complex arg is tabulated.

Daniel.