Evaluation of Surface Integral in Gauss's Law

In summary, for the given problem of Gauss's Law and surface integration, a surface integral can be simplified into nested ordinary integrals. Depending on the problem, you can integrate first with respect to x or y, or you can do a single variable integration. This approach is similar to finding area in the x-y plane through integration.
Swapnil Das
I am a tenth grader, and a newbie to Advanced Calculus. While working out problems sets for Gauss's Law, I encountered the following Surface Integral:

upload_2016-7-7_10-54-41.png
I couldn't attempt anything, having no knowledge over surface integration. So please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Swapnil Das said:
I am a tenth grader, and a newbie to Advanced Calculus. While working out problems sets for Gauss's Law, I encountered the following Surface Integral:

View attachment 102941I couldn't attempt anything, having no knowledge over surface integration. So please help.

Well, for the specific problem you are interested in, a surface integral can be thought of as just nested ordinary integrals: If [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] is some function that depends on two variables, [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex], then [itex]\int f(x,y) dA = \int dx (\int dy f(x,y))[/itex]. So you first do the integral over [itex]y[/itex], treating [itex]x[/itex] as a constant. That gives you an expression that may involve the variable [itex]x[/itex]. Then you do the integral over [itex]x[/itex]. Or you can do it in the opposite order: first integrate over [itex]x[/itex], then integrate over [itex]y[/itex].

Likes Swapnil Das and Tallus Bryne
Since the surface integral is an integration over a square area in the x-y plane, a single variable integration would also work. I'm not sure how far you've gone in your study of calculus, but if you're new to the subject it's possible you've seen the problem of finding area in the x-y plane via integration with respect to x or y. You could use the same basic approach for this problem (although I would personally lean towards stevendaryl 's approach in general):

[itex]\int x dA = \int x y dx = \int x dx [/itex]
y = 1 corresponds to the distance between the top of the square and the x-axis

1. What is Gauss's Law and why is it important?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in physics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they are affected by the presence of charges.

2. How is Gauss's Law related to surface integrals?

In Gauss's Law, the electric flux is calculated by taking a surface integral over a closed surface. This integral takes into account the magnitude and direction of the electric field at every point on the surface, allowing us to determine the total flux through the surface.

3. How do you evaluate a surface integral in Gauss's Law?

To evaluate a surface integral in Gauss's Law, you first need to choose a closed surface that encloses the charge or charges of interest. Then, you need to determine the direction and magnitude of the electric field at every point on the surface. Finally, you integrate the dot product of the electric field and the surface area element over the entire surface.

4. What are the limitations of Gauss's Law when using it to evaluate surface integrals?

Gauss's Law is only applicable to situations where the electric field and charges are symmetrically distributed. It also assumes that the electric field is constant over the surface being integrated.

5. How does Gauss's Law apply to real-world situations?

Gauss's Law is used in a variety of real-world situations, such as calculating the electric field inside a charged conductor, determining the electric field of a point charge or a charged sphere, and understanding the behavior of electric fields in various materials. It is also used in the design of electrical systems and devices.