Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluation of the derivative

1. Nov 3, 2006 #1
    Let be a function so the derivative of any order n exist, my question is if there is a way to evaluate:

[tex] \frac{d^{n}f(x)}{dx^{n}} [/tex] as [tex] n\rightarrow \infty [/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on the function. If it's ex, it's trivial. If it's a polynomial, it's trivial. If it's cos(x), it can't be done (cyclic, so there's no limit). If it's something that's a complete mess of a rational function, you're probably righteously too lazy to figure it out
  4. Nov 3, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why should it exist some general way apart from differentiating the function?
    The derivatives of the functions f(x)=cos(x) g(x)=1 "evolve" in totally different manners.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  5. Nov 4, 2006 #4
    well i was thinking about "Cauchy's theorem" so you have that the derivative of any order should satisfy:

[tex] 2\pi i f^{(n)}(a)= n! \oint_{C}dzf(z)(z-a)^{-n-1} [/tex]

and from this integral, if C is a circle of unit radius and centered at z=a then, the contour integral just becomes:

[tex] 2\pi f^{(n)}(a)= n! \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} dxf(e^{ix}+a)e^{-inx} [/tex]

EDIT: another good idea would be perhaps to use the "generalized difference" operator so..

[tex] f^{(n)}(x)=\frac{\nabla ^{n}}{h^{n}} [/tex] as h-->0 (small h)
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  6. Nov 4, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why do you assume that Cauchy's theorem in general gives you a neat way to actually evaluate the derivative??

You are not Eljose, are you?
  7. Nov 4, 2006 #6
    I'm supposing that f(z) is analytic with NO poles or at least that the point z=a is not a pole of f, then if f has no poles on the unit circle centered at z=a then "Cauchy Theorem" for derivatives holds.

I don't know what's this stuff about someone called eljose ..and what has to do with me or the forums....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?