• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Evaluation trig functions

• Thread starter Nyasha
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
[tex]cos(ArcSec(-\sqrt2+\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]cos(ArcSec(-\sqrt2+\frac{\sqrt2}{2})[/tex]

In order to solve this problem how do l deal with the [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]. Is it correct to substitute [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] with [tex]\frac{\sqrt2}{2}[/tex]

Hi Nyasha!

Why do you think that [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}\approx .785[/tex] is the same as [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\approx .707[/tex]?

You can however simplify cos(arcsec(...)).

Hi Nyasha!

Why do you think that [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}\approx .785[/tex] is the same as [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\approx .707[/tex]?

You can however simplify cos(arcsec(...)).

So is this correct:

[tex]
cos(ArcSec(-\sqrt2+(0.785))
[/tex]

Well, you don't need to use decimal notation (and probably should not in this case), I was just trying to demonstrate that the two numbers are not the same.

What I was hinting at before: sec(x)=1/cos(x), so arcsec(x)=arccos(1/x) and also cos(arccos(x))=x by definition. Use this to simplify your expression.

Well, you don't need to use decimal notation (and probably should not in this case), I was just trying to demonstrate that the two numbers are not the same.

What I was hinting at before: sec(x)=1/cos(x), so arcsec(x)=arccos(1/x) and also cos(arccos(x))=x by definition. Use this to simplify your expression.

I can evaluate this thing without the [tex] \frac{\pi}{4} [/tex] by the assistance of of the principal range of arcsec and a diagram. I just am just getting confused with the [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex].

Thanks, l have solved the question.

[itex]\text{Using pricinpal values: }\:\text{arcsec}\left(\text{-}\sqrt{2}\right) \:=\:\frac{3\pi}{4}[/itex]

And then add the [itex]\frac{3\pi}{4}[/itex] to the[itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]

So it really was [tex]\text{cos}(\text{arcsec}(-\sqrt{2})+\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]? Otherwise, it is not correct.

So it really was [tex]\text{cos}(\text{arcsec}(-\sqrt{2})+\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]? Otherwise, it is not correct.

Yes it was :

[tex]\{cos}(\text{arcsec}(-\sqrt{2})+\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]

It seemed as if l had copied the thing wrongly.

However,it seems as if l have solved it.