How to Solve Trigonometric Functions with Arcsec and Pi/4

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the problem of cos(ArcSec(-\sqrt2+\frac{\pi}{4}), which involves finding the value of cos(arcsec(...)) and simplifying the expression using the relationships between secant, cosine, and inverse trigonometric functions. The conversation also addresses the difference between \frac{\pi}{4} and \frac{\sqrt2}{2}, and the use of principal values to evaluate the expression. Ultimately, the problem is solved by adding \frac{3\pi}{4} to the expression.
Nyasha

Homework Statement

[tex]cos(ArcSec(-\sqrt2+\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]cos(ArcSec(-\sqrt2+\frac{\sqrt2}{2})[/tex]

In order to solve this problem how do l deal with the [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]. Is it correct to substitute [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] with [tex]\frac{\sqrt2}{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nyasha!

Why do you think that [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}\approx .785[/tex] is the same as [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\approx .707[/tex]?

You can however simplify cos(arcsec(...)).

yyat said:
Hi Nyasha!

Why do you think that [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}\approx .785[/tex] is the same as [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\approx .707[/tex]?

You can however simplify cos(arcsec(...)).

So is this correct:

[tex]
cos(ArcSec(-\sqrt2+(0.785))
[/tex]

Well, you don't need to use decimal notation (and probably should not in this case), I was just trying to demonstrate that the two numbers are not the same.

What I was hinting at before: sec(x)=1/cos(x), so arcsec(x)=arccos(1/x) and also cos(arccos(x))=x by definition. Use this to simplify your expression.

yyat said:
Well, you don't need to use decimal notation (and probably should not in this case), I was just trying to demonstrate that the two numbers are not the same.

What I was hinting at before: sec(x)=1/cos(x), so arcsec(x)=arccos(1/x) and also cos(arccos(x))=x by definition. Use this to simplify your expression.

I can evaluate this thing without the [tex] \frac{\pi}{4} [/tex] by the assistance of of the principal range of arcsec and a diagram. I just am just getting confused with the [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex].

yyat said:

Thanks, l have solved the question.

[itex]\text{Using pricinpal values: }\:\text{arcsec}\left(\text{-}\sqrt{2}\right) \:=\:\frac{3\pi}{4}[/itex]

And then add the [itex]\frac{3\pi}{4}[/itex] to the[itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]

So it really was [tex]\text{cos}(\text{arcsec}(-\sqrt{2})+\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]? Otherwise, it is not correct.

yyat said:
So it really was [tex]\text{cos}(\text{arcsec}(-\sqrt{2})+\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]? Otherwise, it is not correct.
Yes it was : [tex]\{cos}(\text{arcsec}(-\sqrt{2})+\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]
It seemed as if l had copied the thing wrongly.However,it seems as if l have solved it.

What are the six trigonometric functions?

The six trigonometric functions are sine (sin), cosine (cos), tangent (tan), cotangent (cot), secant (sec), and cosecant (csc).

How do you evaluate trigonometric functions?

To evaluate trigonometric functions, you need to know the value of the angle in radians or degrees and the reference angle. Then, you can use a table, calculator, or special triangles to find the value of the trigonometric function.

What is the difference between sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are both trigonometric functions, but they differ in their ratios. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle, while cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

Why do we need to evaluate trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are used to solve problems involving angles and sides in triangles. They are also used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. Evaluating trigonometric functions allows us to find precise values for these calculations.

What are the commonly used methods for evaluating trigonometric functions?

The commonly used methods for evaluating trigonometric functions are the unit circle method, the special triangle method, and the use of trigonometric identities. These methods can be used to find the values of trigonometric functions for any angle, not just the ones on the unit circle.