What is the correct upper limit to evaluate the given limit?

• Thread starter baddin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: In this case, I chose ##\frac{1}{x}## because it helps simplify the expression and is easier to work with. I hope that helps.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit as x approaches positive infinity of the expression sqrt(x^2+1)-x. The method of using the sandwich theorem and choosing an appropriate upper limit is suggested to solve the problem. Another method of multiplying the expression by a certain factor is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a clarification on how the upper limit was chosen and its purpose in simplifying the expression.
baddin
Hey guys, I have been trying this question for 40 minutes and I can't get the answer.
Evaluate lim as x approaches positive infinity(sqrt(x^2+1)-x).
I tried the La-Hopital's rule, but even then I still get inf/inf. I know there is an algebraic manipulation I need to make, but I keep getting it wrong.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd suggest you show that if ##f(x)=\sqrt{x^{2}+1}-x##, then ##0 \leq f(x) \leq \sqrt{x^{2}}+\frac{1}{x}-x## for positive ##x##, and because ##\lim_{x \to \infty}\left(\sqrt{x^{2}}+\frac{1}{x}-x\right)=0##, the limit of ##f(x)## must be zero when ##x## approaches infinity.

You can prove that ##f(x) \leq \sqrt{x^{2}}+\frac{1}{x}-x## by assuming the contrary and deriving a contradiction.

Likes 1 person
Thanks hilbert2,
I see what you are saying. I also just found another way to do it, ill post it:
Multiplying the expression by (sqrt(x^2+1) + x)/(sqrt(x^2+1)+x) you get lim(1/(sqrt(x^2+1)+x) = 0.
I see that you have used the sandwich theorem, and i suppose that is an easier way to do it. I am confused on how you got your upper limit 1/x, could you please explain how you got that upper limit. Thanks

Ah, did you just arbitrarily pick the upper limit which is larger than f(x)?

baddin said:
I am confused on how you got your upper limit 1/x, could you please explain how you got that upper limit. Thanks

Let's suppose the contrary, that ##\sqrt{x^{2}+1}>\sqrt{x^{2}}+\frac{1}{x}##. As we can suppose ##x## is positive, we can square both sides of the inequality to get
##x^{2}+1>x^{2}+2\frac{|x|}{x}+\frac{1}{x^{2}}##. When ##x## is positive, ##\frac{|x|}{x}=1##, and therefore we get ##1>2+\frac{1}{x^{2}}##, which is a contradiction.

You can choose any upper limit that approaches zero when ##x \to \infty##.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that refers to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It is often used to describe the behavior of a function at a specific point or as the input or index approaches infinity.

2. How do you evaluate a limit?

To evaluate a limit, you can use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, or algebraic manipulation. You can also use the properties of limits, such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient properties, to simplify the limit before plugging in the value.

3. What does it mean to say a limit does not exist?

If a limit does not exist, it means that the function or sequence does not approach a finite value as the input or index approaches a certain value. This can occur if there is a jump or a discontinuity in the function, or if the function oscillates between different values as the input or index approaches the given value.

4. Can a limit be infinite?

Yes, a limit can be infinite. This means that the function or sequence approaches positive or negative infinity as the input or index approaches a certain value. This can occur if the function has a vertical asymptote or if the function approaches a vertical line without intersecting it.

5. Why is it important to evaluate limits?

Evaluating limits is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point or as the input or index approaches a certain value. It also allows us to determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence or series, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.