1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evalution of a Limit

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate limit in terms of the number [tex]\alpha=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sinx}{x}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{tan^2x+2x}{(x+x^2)}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{tan^2x+2x}{x}-\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{tan^2x+2x}{(1+x)}[/tex]
    [tex]=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin^2x}{xcos^2x}-\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x(1+x)}+2[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2
    Everything looks right to me, now just evaluate the individual limits.

Since [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x(1+x)}[/tex]
    is continuous about 0, then you can simply plug [tex]x =0 [/tex].

For [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin^2x}{xcos^2x}[/tex] you can split this into

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin(x)}{x}\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin(x)}{cos^2(x)}[/tex] or [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin^2x}{x}\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{cos^2x}[/tex]

Then use L'Hopitals rule. The answer is the same either way. (note that we've assumed here that the limits exist so that we can use the multiplicative limit law).

By the hint in the question, I assume you should do it the first way.
  4. Oct 18, 2007 #3
    So the answer is just 2.
  5. Oct 18, 2007 #4
    That's what I got, and if you plot the function, you'll see it to be true.

Edit: If you want another way of verifying, apply L'hopitals rule right off the bat, and you'll get

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{2tan(x)sec^2(x)+2}{1+2x}[/tex]

Again a continuous function about x=0, so you can evaluate very quickly to get the same answer.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?