Evangelicals going nonpolitical

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the shift in the role of churches within the religious right, from focusing on political issues to community services such as aiding the poor and disadvantaged. This change could have significant impacts on the political influence of the religious right, especially in light of the rejection of right-wing radio by Republican voters. The conversation also touches on the current state of the Christian Right, with some disillusionment and rethinking of political strategies among members, particularly the younger generation. However, it is also noted that there are still strong political players within the movement who may not be willing to give up their influence. Overall, the conversation highlights the changing landscape of the religious right and its potential effects on politics.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It appears to me that we are seeing a significant schism in the religious right, with the strong political rhetoric being displaced by the traditional role of churches – community services such as helping the poor and disadvantaged, feeding the hungry, assisting the elderly with their daily struggles, etc. This would seem to be a highly significant trend wrt politics esp when combined with the Republican voter’s rejection of the right-wing radio heads. This may be the end of an era!

So we may end up having to thank Bush, Rove et al., and 8 years of Republican control for the political death of neoconservatism.

No recent Republican has won the presidency without the help of evangelical Christian voters. This campaign season they are credited with Mike Huckabee's recent meteoric rise in the polls. But some in the evangelical community, disillusioned by what they see as broken promises from the Bush administration, are rethinking their political strategies. NOW on PBS travels to Wichita, Kansas, to investigate how and why the movement is shifting away from hot-button issues like abortion and gay rights to broader and less divisive issues like Global Warming and AIDS. Is the religious right forging a new path, and if so, how will it affect their political clout?[see video]
http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/404/index.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Christian Right for all their efforts got almost nothing in the last 8 years. Lots of hot air but nothing substantive. This is with the Republicans controlling the Congress, the President, and pretty much the courts. The leaders of this group are pretty dense and don't seem to realize this (or maybe don't want to admit being bamboozled). However, the rank and file aren't that stupid. Why should they put a lot of effort and money into something that doesn't give them what they want?

Better do like Jesus (and Paul) said and stay out of politics.

Young evangelicals aim to broaden agenda

...Evangelicals like Dunbar are eager to move on and tackle such hot topics as global warming and social justice.

As they move to the center of the political spectrum, they are deciding whether Republican presidential candidate John McCain or Democrat Barack Obama aligns best with their values and deserves their vote in the November presidential election.

A former Republican, Dunbar's political views began to change with the war in Iraq. "I couldn't keep my political affiliation with the Republican Party at that point," he said.

Research shows many young white evangelical Christians are moving away from the Republican Party.

Surveys by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life show a 15 percentage point drop in the alliance of white evangelicals aged 18 to 29 with the Republican Party over the past two years.

"This group is going to be definitely worth watching," said Dan Cox, a Pew research associate and author of the report. "If anything, they're becoming more independent in their outlook."

Most favor stricter laws to protect the environment, for example, an issue not typically associated with Republican platforms, yet remain conservative on issues like opposition to abortion and support for the death penalty.[continued]
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080622/pl_nm/usa_politics_evangelicals_dc

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we'll see. Also, we need to be careful of what we're talking about when we say "religious right." Part of that group are politicians, lobbyists and policy people that aren't going to get any less "political" under any circumstances. Another part of the group are the actual churches and churchgoers/voters, and it may well be that they're starting to see that they've been taken for a ride, and have no real prospects of strong political connections in the short term anyhow. I'd like to believe that they've also gotten tired of the backlash from trying to use the power of the state to impose their ideas onto everyone else, and that they won't come running to vote for the next sheister who accuses his opponent of being soft on abortion, but somehow I think their passions will continue to play out in the public arena... The religion-conservatism industry has elevated many of the Culture War touchstones into identity issues for these people.

Sadly, I think its a cycle. People are stupid, and in a few years they'll be right back.

This campaign season they are credited with Mike Huckabee's recent meteoric rise in the polls.
Article date: 1/25/08. Swing and a miss.

re Cyrus: This seems to me to be rooted more in a changing worldview, than dogma. We do see cycles, but at the same time, our worldview will never be the same as it was twenty years ago. These kids have been raised with concerns that were entirely different than those of their parents. And even religions evolve.

wildman said:
The Christian Right for all their efforts got almost nothing in the last 8 years. Lots of hot air but nothing substantive. This is with the Republicans controlling the Congress, the President, and pretty much the courts. The leaders of this group are pretty dense and don't seem to realize this (or maybe don't want to admit being bamboozled). However, the rank and file aren't that stupid. Why should they put a lot of effort and money into something that doesn't give them what they want?

Better do like Jesus (and Paul) said and stay out of politics.

The reality is that the neocons have been using Christians all along. The average rich person (the heart of the Republican Party) is not against abortion or gay marriage. However, they are sophisticated enough to understand that that the Republicans need the Christian Right and that the Republicans don't intend to ever actually give them anything.

Cyrus said:
Sadly, I think its a cycle. People are stupid, and in a few years they'll be right back.

I try and be optimistic, but I fear you will probably be proved correct cyrus. Jeez, why are there so many idiots?! And why do they have to meddle with the affairs of everyone else?

Ha! Ha! Did you notice that? Look up a couple of posts. I quoted myself and didn't even know it. Isn't that a sign of being crazy?

What does it mean for Evangelicals to go nonpolitical?

Evangelicals going nonpolitical refers to a movement within the Evangelical Christian community to disengage from political involvement and instead focus on their faith and serving their communities.

Why are Evangelicals considering going nonpolitical?

There are a variety of reasons why Evangelicals may be considering going nonpolitical, including disillusionment with the current political climate, a desire to avoid divisiveness and polarization, and a belief that their faith should be the focus of their lives rather than politics.

Does going nonpolitical mean Evangelicals will no longer vote or participate in elections?

Not necessarily. Going nonpolitical does not mean completely disengaging from the political process. It can mean a shift in priorities and a focus on serving their communities and living out their faith rather than being heavily involved in political campaigns or advocating for specific candidates.

How will going nonpolitical affect the influence of Evangelicals in politics?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively as it will depend on how many Evangelicals choose to go nonpolitical and to what extent. However, it is likely that their influence will decrease as they become less involved in political activities and more focused on their faith and communities.

Is going nonpolitical a permanent decision for Evangelicals?

There is no way to predict the future, but it is possible that going nonpolitical could be a temporary shift for some Evangelicals. As political climates and issues change, some may feel compelled to become more politically involved again. Ultimately, the decision to go nonpolitical is a personal one and may vary among individuals and communities.