Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaporated beer

1. Feb 2, 2005 #1
    you know how you can get evaporated milk at a grocery store, i wonder if it would be possible to make evaporated beer? you know, just add water. it would be great for taking on hiking trips. :approve:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Beer's carbonated, so it would require some ingenuity.....

- Warren

4. Feb 3, 2005 #3
    Just add water? What about the alcohol? Where will you find that on your hiking trip?
    Is there any biologist here that can tell us how to make bacteria produce alcohol? Just bring your evaporated beer as well as a package of dried alcohol-producing bacteria. Cool!

5. Feb 3, 2005 #4
    better yet, how bout condensed beer. instead of being 5%, condensed beer will be 80% alcohol :biggrin:

6. Feb 3, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, alcohol will evaporate off before the water will. It'll be easier to just carry a few 6-packs than a fermentation and distilling apparatus. Besides, you can quickly chill the 6-pack by putting it in a cold river (securely tied to something nearby of course).

Alcohol for consumption is produced using yeast, not bacteria, but the whole process needs to occur under anaerobic conditions, requires glucose, and takes some time. Not really convenient for a weekend camping trip.

7. Feb 3, 2005 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A little Bacardi 151 goes a long way... [urp]

8. Feb 3, 2005 #7

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I will have to agree with that, alchocolo evaporatsed with water, the only way you will have alcohol is to bring a yeast that ferment alcohol.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  9. Feb 3, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait, beer makes you burp, not rum. The appropriate sound effect for Bacardi 151 is probably [hic]. Though, for me, it's more like [thump] (that's me hitting the floor).

Nonetheless, it is the better solution on a camping trip. You can carry your concentrated alcohol very easily that way. It has properties that are far more useful than beer anyway. You can use it to help get your fire started, as an antiseptic for any wounds you need to clean, and it's a good anesthetic if the wound is really bad. You can disinfect your hunting knife after cleaning whatever the catch of the day is and before using it to cut your food after it's cooked, especially if clean water is hard to find/needs to be rationed. Very useful stuff.

10. Feb 4, 2005 #9

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bacteria do not produce alcohol. It's yeast and you could carry freeze dry yeast. Anyway it takes about 2 to 3 for yeast to fermented most of the sugar and do not known if want to wait that long for a beer.

Bring 94% alcohol it's strong and you can diluted it.

11. Feb 4, 2005 #10

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

I once made gelatininzed beer for a party based on a recipe for a gin and tonic gelee. While not exactly "condensed", it sure seemed more dense...and rather tasty. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?