Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaporating KNO3 solution

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    When KNO3 solution dissolves it absorbs heat energy from the environment. So when it evaporates, is this heat energy released?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

4. Sep 9, 2010 #3
    Ok, know anything about thermodynamics Borek?

5. Sep 9, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Enough to be sure about the answer to this question. Not much more, as what I have learned back in eighties mostly evaporated, increasing entropy of the surroundings.

6. Sep 9, 2010 #5
    I've been trying to broaden my understanding of thermodynamics recently and atm im exploring the idea of using heat energy to yield more heat energy, in situations where they are easily "repeatable"

Obviously lighting something up like wood etc, is an example of heat energy releasing even more heat energy, but reversing these combustion reactions is difficult.

Once you have the salt back from evaporation, you can dissolve it once again in some water.

I'm having no luck with finding info regarding this on the web. You wouldn't happend to know of a user that would have some understanding of this kind of thing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook