Can First Year Undergrad Physics Concepts Solve the Evaporation of Black Holes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the time it takes for a solar mass black hole to evaporate based on its emitted black body radiation at a given temperature. It also explores the possibility of small black holes created during the big bang and what mass would now be evaporating. The solution involves using the Stefan-Boltzmann Law and setting up a differential equation to take into account the time dependence. Some simpler approaches are suggested, but ultimately a differential equation is necessary to solve the problem.
hasan_researc

Homework Statement

"Given that a black hole emits black body radiation at a temperature (in degrees Kelvin) given by T = hc3/16pi2MGk, how long would it take a solar mass black hole to evaporate?

If small black holes were created during the big bang, what mass of black hole would now be evaporating? "

Homework Equations

This problem was set as part of my first year undergrad "Professional Skills Problem Solving" seminar. So I have to use first year undergrad physics concepts (or possibly more advanced tools) to solve this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea! That's why I'm here.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should try to express the power of the emitted radiation in terms of the Temperature.
Then you can try to connect this energy loss to the time evolution of the mass of the black hole.

Energy (of the emitted radiation) is on the order of kT (is it not?).

So the (average) power is kT/t, where t is some time interval.

Therefore, using the formula in my previous post, Power = hc3/16pi2MGt.
Therefore, t = hc3/(16pi2MG*power).

But do I know what the power is?

Simply putting some time interval is not quite correct.

There is a certain law relating power and temperature of radiation of a black body.

Actually, I don't know what the formula is. I found Plankc's law on wikipedia, but that looks horribly complicated, so I omitted that.

Please help me out on this.

Try Stefan-Boltzmann Law.

Okay, so the power radiated = sigma*T4
= sigma * (hc3/16pi2MGk)4

Now, how shall we assume that the mass radiated per unit time is a constant, and thus eliminate the time t in the equation?

That's actually the power per unit area. You need to find the surface area of the black hole to get the total power radiated. Then try setting up a differential equation to work in the time dependence.

Thank you for your reply. It was informative.

But you're saying that I have to set up a differential equation to work out the time dependence. But the structure of the course (in which the problem was set) was such that no differential equation needed to be used to solve the problems, but rather the concepts of energy and energy flux and idealised models are all we would need to solve the problem.

So I am wondering if there is a simpler solution.

You need the concepts of energy and energy flux to set the way to the solution.
But it will not work without a differential equation, which are just a mathematical tool.

1. What is the process of evaporation of a black hole?

The process of evaporation of a black hole is known as Hawking radiation. It occurs when pairs of particles and antiparticles are created near the event horizon of the black hole. One particle falls into the black hole while the other escapes, carrying away energy and causing the black hole to lose mass over time.

2. How long does it take for a black hole to evaporate?

The time it takes for a black hole to evaporate completely depends on its mass. Smaller black holes will evaporate faster than larger ones. For a black hole with the mass of the sun, it would take approximately 10^67 years to evaporate completely.

3. Can black holes stop evaporating?

According to current theories, black holes cannot stop evaporating. As long as they have a temperature above absolute zero, they will continue to lose mass through Hawking radiation. However, as they get smaller and their temperature decreases, the rate of evaporation will slow down.

4. What happens to the information that falls into a black hole during evaporation?

This is a highly debated question in the scientific community. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, information cannot be destroyed. Therefore, some theories suggest that the information is encoded in the outgoing Hawking radiation. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and has not been definitively proven.

5. How does the evaporation of black holes impact the universe?

The evaporation of black holes has a minimal impact on the universe as a whole. However, it does play a role in the process of entropy, or the gradual increase of disorder in the universe. As black holes evaporate, they release energy into the universe, contributing to the overall increase in entropy. Additionally, the smaller a black hole is, the more it will contribute to the universe's entropy through its evaporation.