Evaporation: Impact of Pressure & Other Factors

• Thread starter Anshuman Bajpai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evaporation
In summary, evaporation is the process of a liquid turning into a gas. The rate of evaporation is affected by factors such as temperature, wind speed, humidity, and surface area. In a partial vacuum, the pressure is lower and therefore, the rate of evaporation will increase as the molecules can easily escape. The partial pressure of the vapor is critical in determining the rate of evaporation, rather than the air pressure in the system. This is a complex process and can be further understood by considering the equilibrium vapor pressure of water.
Anshuman Bajpai
1. Water evaporates under atmospheric pressure. Without changing the temperature , the same water is placed under partial vacuum . The rate of evaporation will
a] increase
b] decrease
c] drop to zero
d] remain unaffected

2. No eqns reqd3. The evaporation is a slow process that can occur at any temp. Other factors affecting evaporation are - Windspeed, Humidity, Surface Area of liquid .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your attempt does not really try to answer the question. There is a single correct answer among the listed ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
what happens to the temperature at which water boils as you move up a mountain and the air pressure decreases?

You can think of liquid water as bunch of H2O molecules stacked all together and aren't allowed to freely move around, when you heat them they gain some energy and dance around, this is when you see water boil and vaporate, but even at a room temperature some of the molecules make it through and flee thus turning into gaz(evaporate), pressure is one of the most important reason that these molecules were stacked in the first place because it presses them, in partial vacuum pressure goes down, so what might happen then ?

Noctisdark said:
You can think of liquid water as bunch of H2O molecules stacked all together and aren't allowed to freely move around, when you heat them they gain some energy and dance around, this is when you see water boil and vaporate, but even at a room temperature some of the molecules make it through and flee thus turning into gaz(evaporate), pressure is one of the most important reason that these molecules were stacked in the first place because it presses them, in partial vacuum pressure goes down, so what might happen then ?
Not my area of expertise (if there is such), but I don't think it's as simple as that. Isn't it the partial pressure of the water vapour that's critical? If I understand correctly, the answer could be different if the air is completely dry. To put it another way, don't confuse evaporation with boiling.

Likes Chestermiller
haruspex said:
Not my area of expertise (if there is such), but I don't think it's as simple as that. Isn't it the partial pressure of the water vapour that's critical? If I understand correctly, the answer could be different if the air is completely dry. To put it another way, don't confuse evaporation with boiling.
Yes. I agree also. The equilibrium vapor pressure of water does not change significantly with air pressure in the system. The air in the gas phase above the water provides resistance to water diffusion away from the interface. If you lower the air partial pressure by lowering the total pressure, water in the gas phase can diffuse more easily away from the interface. This results in increased evaporation rate.

Chet

Likes TSny
... or, remain unchanged if the volume of the system remains unchanged.
I'd call the problem statement "incomplete."

Noctisdark said:
This is an introductory text, but I will worka lot of thing http://www.chem4kids.com/files/matter_evap.html , Good luck !
[Yes, Evaporation rate will increase, molecules can easily flee ]
Again, that text does not discriminate clearly between the pressure of the gas and the partial pressure of the vapour. As Chet described, the mechanism is quite subtle.

1. How does pressure affect the rate of evaporation?

Pressure has a direct impact on the rate of evaporation. As pressure increases, the boiling point of water also increases, making it harder for water molecules to escape and evaporate. This results in a slower rate of evaporation. On the other hand, lower pressure decreases the boiling point, allowing water molecules to escape more easily and increasing the rate of evaporation.

2. What other factors can affect the rate of evaporation?

Aside from pressure, other factors that can affect the rate of evaporation include temperature, humidity, and air movement. Higher temperatures typically result in faster evaporation, as molecules have more energy to break free from the liquid's surface. Humidity, or the amount of water vapor in the air, can also impact evaporation. High humidity levels can slow down evaporation, as the air is already saturated with water vapor. Lastly, air movement, such as wind, can increase the rate of evaporation by carrying away water molecules from the liquid's surface.

3. How does surface area affect evaporation?

The larger the surface area of a liquid, the faster the rate of evaporation. This is because more water molecules are exposed to the air and can escape from the surface. For example, a shallow pan of water will evaporate faster than a tall glass of water, even if they have the same volume.

4. Can evaporation occur at any temperature?

Yes, evaporation can occur at any temperature. However, higher temperatures will result in a faster rate of evaporation. Even at lower temperatures, some water molecules will still have enough energy to break free from the liquid's surface and evaporate.

5. How is evaporation important in the water cycle?

Evaporation is a crucial part of the water cycle. It is the process by which water from bodies of water, such as oceans, lakes, and rivers, is transferred into the atmosphere as water vapor. This water vapor then condenses and forms clouds, eventually leading to precipitation and the replenishment of bodies of water on Earth.