1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaporative cooling in a vacuum

1. Nov 21, 2003 #1
    I am having a problem at work and I'm hoping some of the brains on this board can help.

I'm using a Focused Ion beam to induce insulator deposition using a siloxane liquid. The liquid is stored in a small container with a valve to let the gas escape the container. This small container is located inside a vacuum chamber.

The vacuum chamber has a pressure of 1.5e-6 millibar when the siloxane valve is closed.

When the valve is opened I see the pressure rise to 8.0e-6 which is where I want to perform deposition.

As I watch the pressure I notice a slow linear drop with time. This effect causes the deposition process to fail.

As far as I know the chamber pressure is determined by the vapor pressure of the liquid and the size of the valve(which also has a limiting aperture in it)

My questions are:
    1. Is this pressure drop due to the temperature of the liquid dropping due to evaporative cooling? This drop in temperature would also drop the vapor pressure right?

2. Is there a formula to calculate the vapor pressure vs temperature, or to calculate how fast the liquid will cool in the presence of a vacuum? or some other formula to help me characterize this effect.

3. Could the gauge used to measure the pressure level become inaccurate in the presence of an insulator like siloxane? It's a hot cathode Ionization gauge.

4. Is there something else that could be going on that I haven't mentioned.

Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2003 #2
    Would Boyle's law's be of any help?

4. Nov 21, 2003 #3
    I dont know, where do I find information on this law?

Thanks

5. Nov 21, 2003 #4
    I had found several citations when I ran a google search.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?