1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evasive integral substitution

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    I am staring at an integral of the form

\int \frac{sin(at)}{(1 + bsin^{2}(at))^{1/2}} dt

which I have generated for myself (in attempting to model the behaviour of a particle in an oscillating field). I can't see a sensible substitution to try, at present. I could hunt down a standard integral, perhaps, but I suspect something obvious is evading me...

Any hints? Also, any suggestions for brushing up on solving integrals of this sort? I'm a bit rusty :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's sin that makes this complicated, isn't it? That seems the obvious place to start.
  4. Oct 29, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

This might be useful: Change 1 + b*sin^2(at) into 1 + b*(1 - cos^2(at) = 1 + b - b*cos^2(at).

You could then use the substitution u = cos(at), du = -a*sin(at)dt.

Then your integral would be roughly du/(A - bu^2)^(1/2), and you might be able to find that in a table of integrals or, failing that, apply a trig substitution.

Anyway, that's the direction I would go as a start.
  5. Oct 30, 2008 #4
    A good suggestion. Thank you. It will end up with an arc sin of a cos, I think, but perhaps that can be rewritten more elegantly...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?