Integrating Trigonometric Functions with Evasive Substitutions

In summary, the conversation suggests trying a substitution to solve the integral of \int \frac{sin(at)}{(1 + bsin^{2}(at))^{1/2}} dt, specifically using u = cos(at) and du = -a*sin(at)dt. This may lead to a simpler form of the integral that can be found in a table or solved with a trig substitution. The conversation also suggests looking into solving integrals of this type and provides a suggested approach.
Rory9
I am staring at an integral of the form

[tex]
\int \frac{sin(at)}{(1 + bsin^{2}(at))^{1/2}} dt
[/tex]

which I have generated for myself (in attempting to model the behaviour of a particle in an oscillating field). I can't see a sensible substitution to try, at present. I could hunt down a standard integral, perhaps, but I suspect something obvious is evading me...

Any hints? Also, any suggestions for brushing up on solving integrals of this sort? I'm a bit rusty :-)

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rory9 said:
I can't see a sensible substitution to try, at present.
It's sin that makes this complicated, isn't it? That seems the obvious place to start.

This might be useful: Change 1 + b*sin^2(at) into 1 + b*(1 - cos^2(at) = 1 + b - b*cos^2(at).

You could then use the substitution u = cos(at), du = -a*sin(at)dt.

Then your integral would be roughly du/(A - bu^2)^(1/2), and you might be able to find that in a table of integrals or, failing that, apply a trig substitution.

Anyway, that's the direction I would go as a start.

Mark44 said:
This might be useful: Change 1 + b*sin^2(at) into 1 + b*(1 - cos^2(at) = 1 + b - b*cos^2(at).

You could then use the substitution u = cos(at), du = -a*sin(at)dt.

Then your integral would be roughly du/(A - bu^2)^(1/2), and you might be able to find that in a table of integrals or, failing that, apply a trig substitution.

Anyway, that's the direction I would go as a start.

A good suggestion. Thank you. It will end up with an arc sin of a cos, I think, but perhaps that can be rewritten more elegantly...

1. What is evasive integral substitution?

Evasive integral substitution, also known as integration by substitution, is a technique used to solve integrals by replacing the original variable with a new variable. This is done in order to simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate.

2. When should I use evasive integral substitution?

Evasive integral substitution should be used when the integrand contains a complicated function or when the integral cannot be evaluated using basic integration techniques. It is also helpful when the integrand has a complicated form, such as a radical or a fraction.

3. How do I perform evasive integral substitution?

To perform evasive integral substitution, follow these steps:

1. Identify the variable to be substituted and choose a new variable to replace it with.
  2. Write the new variable in terms of the original variable.
  3. Substitute the new variable and its derivative into the integrand.
  4. Simplify the integrand and integrate with respect to the new variable.
  5. Replace the new variable with the original variable in the final answer.

4. Can I use any substitution for evasive integral substitution?

No, not every substitution will work for evasive integral substitution. It is important to choose a substitution that will simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate. Common substitutions include u-substitution and trigonometric substitutions.

5. What are the benefits of using evasive integral substitution?

Evasive integral substitution can make it easier to evaluate integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It can also help to reveal a hidden pattern in the integrand, making it possible to solve the integral using other techniques. Additionally, evasive integral substitution can be used to evaluate indefinite integrals, which can be useful in finding the area under a curve or in solving differential equations.