Evel Knievel Dies at 69 - Legendary Daredevil Passes Away

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, Evel Knievel, the hard-living motorcycle daredevil who cheated death time and time again, has died at the age of 69.
Physics news on Phys.org
He sure had guts, does anyone still have a toy Evel?

Wow another icon gone. That guy was 100% insane.

scorpa said:
Wow another icon gone. That guy was 100% insane.
Well, maybe 90% risk-taker, 9% showman, and the rest insane. I've come through some stuff on bikes that I didn't deserve to, and None of them were as well-planned or thought-out as his stunts, though some were as crazy.

Turbo, you mean to say you miss used your velocipede, chuckle.

He was definitely a very gutsy [or insane] daredevil, and for many years he was quite the celebrity. Perhaps his most amazing feat was to survive to the age of 69. RIP EK.

He sure looked a lot older than 69 (and he should).

He may not have died during a stunt, but his death was surely a direct result of them.

The coolest toy I had growing up, next to my Six Million Dollar Man with the zoom vision bionic eye, was my Evel Knievel wind up motorcycle with Evel action figure. I used to take that thing everywhere.

I remember when he would do a stunt, they would devote tons of prime time TV to him. His Snake River stunt seemed to go on for weeks.

wolram said:
Turbo, you mean to say you miss used your velocipede, chuckle.
Oh yeah. I had a Yamaha RD 350 with an incredible power-to weight ratio. Both times that I've been down on a bike it was because I wheelied over backward without intending to. Once was at noon-time in front of the town's only bank on payday - I couldn't have gotten together a bigger crowd if I tried.

The guy certainly was brave, and 69 isn't a bad age really.

I've had a similar experience to Turbo on a Yamaha. When learning in the UK you're only allowed upto a 125cc and for good reason. When I passed my motorbike test I decided a Yamaha R6 was my next bike and nearly killed myself instantly.

FredGarvin said:
He may not have died during a stunt, but his death was surely a direct result of them.

His death is directly linked to the case of hepatitis C was get contacted due to a blood transfusion after a stunt.

turbo-1 said:
Well, maybe 90% risk-taker, 9% showman, and the rest insane. I've come through some stuff on bikes that I didn't deserve to, and None of them were as well-planned or thought-out as his stunts, though some were as crazy.

Haha that is true. It's amazing some of the stuff you can come out of without a scratch. Last summer I hit a hidden trench (about 4-5 feet deep) in a field on my bike cruising along at about 80km/h through the hay field...I nailed the trench and pretty soon my bike was 6 feet in the air and i was above the bike holding my handlebars by my fingertips "superman style". I hit the ground hard and came down hard on my handlebars but somehow rode it out and didnt even crash...didnt have so much as a scratch.

1. Who was Evel Knievel?

Evel Knievel was a legendary daredevil and stunt performer who became famous in the 1970s for his death-defying motorcycle jumps and stunts.

2. How did Evel Knievel die?

Evel Knievel passed away on November 30, 2007 at the age of 69 due to natural causes. He had been in ill health for several years and suffered from diabetes and pulmonary fibrosis.

3. What were some of Evel Knievel's most famous stunts?

Evel Knievel attempted over 75 ramp-to-ramp motorcycle jumps throughout his career, including the famous Snake River Canyon jump and the Caesar's Palace fountain jump. He also attempted multiple car and bus jumps.

4. Did Evel Knievel ever suffer any injuries during his stunts?

Yes, Evel Knievel suffered numerous injuries throughout his career, including multiple broken bones, concussions, and a coma. Despite these injuries, he continued to perform stunts until his retirement in 1980.

5. What is Evel Knievel's legacy?

Evel Knievel is remembered as a cultural icon and one of the greatest daredevils in history. He inspired countless people to push the limits and chase their dreams, and his legacy continues to live on through his influence on the world of extreme sports.