1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Even and Odd Functions

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    Can you always tell if a function is odd or even by looking at the exponents of each of the variables? My book says you can but when I look in other books it gives examples when that is not true. Or do you always have to do symmetry tests to decide?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It doesn't help to post twice! I will delete the other thread.

The answer to your question is "yes and no"!

IF the function in question is a polynomial then yes: a function is "even" if and only if all powers of x are even. A function is "odd" if and only if all powers of x are odd. That should be easy to remember! I suspect your book is only talking about polynomials.

However, the concepts of "even" and "odd" functions apply to all functions, not just polynomials. A function is called "even" if f(-x)= f(x) for all numbers x (changing the sign on x doesn't change the value of the function at all), odd if f(-x)= -f(x) (changing the sign on x only changes the sign on f(x)) for all numbers x. Of course, with most functions there is no simple relation between f(x) and f(-x): most functions are neither even nor odd.

f(x)=cos(x) for example is an even function while g(x)= sin(x) is an odd function.
    f(x)= x+ 3 is neither even nor odd.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?