Calculating Energies of x(n) Sequences: Even and Odd Relations Explained

In summary, the conversation is about finding the energies of the sequences x(2n) and x(0.5n) when the original sequence is x(n) = (0.5)^n u(n). There is confusion about what is meant by "finding the energies" and how the even and odd sequences relate to the original sequence. The concept of energy for a sequence x(n) is defined as E = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty |x(n)|^2. The question is then asked about finding the energy for a more complicated sequence, x(n) = (1/2)(n-1) u(n-2) + (1/3)n u(n-1).
caramello
Hi, I'm sorry if I post this thread at the wrong section. I have a question regarding sequences.

Qn: if there is a sequence x(n) = (0.5)^n u(n), find the energies of the latter sequence of x(2n) and x(0.5n). Also, how the even and odd sequence of x(2n) and x(0.5n) relate to those of x(n)

first, I'm not sure what does it mean by "find the energies of the latter sequence of..." and second, i don't know how to relate those sequences to those of x(n). Is there anyone who can help me? Any help will be greatly appreciated.:smile:

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what is meant by "find the energies of the latter sequence" either.

How about starting with the sequence [itex]x(n) = 0.5^n u(n)[/itex]? Can you write down an expression for the energy of this sequence? Can you evaluate the expression? Show us how far you are able to get.

hmm.. actually I'm totally clueless on how to derive the energy of the sequence. I mean what does it actually mean when they want the energy? :confused:

is there some kind of formula to it? this is because we just start a new quarter here, and the professor went on really fast. I tried to look at the textbook but there's no formula for that either. I'm so confused.

Thank you.

I assume this is for some sort of engineering course? If so, I believe the energy of a sequence [itex]x(n)[/itex] is typically defined as

[tex]E = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty |x(n)|^2[/tex]

Does that look familiar?

oh ya.. I think I've seen that somewhere, but I can't remember. Thanks for the recall.
So back to the question of the energy of x(n) = 0.5n u(n)
It means that it will be the sum from negative infinity to infinity of (1/4)^n

is that right?

oh I think I've figured the answer out already. Thanks! :smile:

so that's when x(n) = (1/2)nu(n). but what if the question is more complicated, something like x(n) = (1/2)(n-1) u(n-2) + (1/3)n u(n-1)? how do we compute the energy of the sequence then?

Thank you!

1. What is an even and odd sequence?

An even and odd sequence is a set of numbers that follows a specific pattern where every other number is either even or odd. For example, the sequence 2, 5, 4, 7, 6, 9, 8, 11, 10, ... is an even and odd sequence because every even-numbered term is followed by an odd-numbered term.

2. How do you determine if a sequence is even or odd?

To determine if a sequence is even or odd, you can look at the pattern of the numbers. If the numbers alternate between even and odd, then it is an even and odd sequence. Additionally, you can test the sequence by dividing each term by 2. If the remainder is 0, then the term is even. If the remainder is 1, then the term is odd.

3. Can a sequence be both even and odd?

No, a sequence cannot be both even and odd. This is because a number can either be even or odd, but not both at the same time. In an even and odd sequence, every term must either be even or odd.

4. How is an even and odd sequence different from a Fibonacci sequence?

An even and odd sequence follows a pattern where every other number is either even or odd, while a Fibonacci sequence follows a pattern where each term is the sum of the two previous terms. Additionally, a Fibonacci sequence can contain both even and odd numbers, while an even and odd sequence can only contain either even or odd numbers.

5. What are some real-world applications of even and odd sequences?

Even and odd sequences can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in coding and data encryption. They can also be used to model natural phenomena, such as the alternating pattern of even and odd layers in sedimentary rocks or the behavior of certain animals in a population. Additionally, they can be used in music and art as a way to create patterns and rhythms.