1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Even Continuous Functions

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let F be the set of all continuous functions with domain [-1,1] and codomain R. Let A be the algebra of all polynomials that contain only terms of even degree (A is a subset of F). Show that the closure of A in F is the set of even functions in F.

The attempt at a solution
    I have to show that (i) if f in F is even, then f is in the closure of A and (ii) if f is in the closure of A, then f is even. I don't have problems proving (ii), rather I'm stuck proving (i). Here's what I have so far:

Let f in F be even. By the Weierstrass Approx. Theorem, there is a sequence of polynomials {p_n} that converge uniformly to f. Now let q_n be the polynomial derived from p_n by squaring each term so that all the degrees are even. For x in [0,1], q_n(sqrt(x)) = p_n(x), so {q_n(sqrt(x))} converges to f(x). Since f is even, {q_n(sqrt(x))} converges to f(-x). Now it would be nice to show that {q_n} converges to f, but this is not the case. If anything, {q_n} converges to f(x^2). How do I proceed from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If qn is converging to f(x2) maybe you want to try approximating f(sqrt(|x|)) instead?

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3
    But what comes after that? I'm interested in approximating, f(x), not f(sqrt(|x|)). This is the part I can't figure out.

5. Feb 12, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If f(x) is even and continuous, then it's equal to F(x^2) where F is continuous on [0,1] (sure F(x)=f(sqrt(|x|))). Approximate F(x) with a polynomial p(x) on [0,1]. Then p(x^2) approximates f(x), right?

6. Feb 12, 2009 #5
    Ah, OK. My error was that I started approximating f(x) first. Silly me.

7. Feb 13, 2009 #6
    Now suppose we change A so that it is the set of all polynomials in F whose terms all have odd degree. Show that the closure of A is the set of odd function in F.

Again, (ii) is easy to show, but (i) is not. Let f in F be an odd function. We need to find two continuous functions g and h such that g(h(x)) = f(x). By the Weierstrass Approx. Theorem, there is a sequence of polynomials {p_n} that converge uniformly to g. We will need for p_n(h(x)) to converge to g(h(x)) = f(x), such that p_n(h(x)) is a polynomial with odd degree terms. It is not clear to me how we can make p_n(h(x)) into a polynomial with odd degree terms. For example, how do we even get rid of the constant term in p_n(h(x))?

8. Feb 13, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If p(x) approximates f(x) on [-1,1], then p(-x) also approximates f(-x). Can you think of a way to combine the two approximations to get another approximation with only odd powers?

9. Feb 13, 2009 #8
    Smart. p(x) - p(-x) approximates f(x) - f(-x) = f(x) + f(x) = 2f(x). p(x) - p(-x) has odd degree terms. And so 1/2[p(x) - p(-x)] is a polynomial in A that approximates f(x).

What made you think about this?

10. Feb 13, 2009 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hard to say. But if g(x) is any function (g(x)-g(-x))/2 is odd. If g is already odd it just gives you g back again. So if p is 'almost' g. Then (p(x)-p(-x))/2 must be 'almost' g. You could have done the even problem the same way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook