Even Less Religion In Our Government Yay

In summary, the conversation discusses the recent ruling that the ten commandments monument in front of an Alabama state supreme court building must be removed. The conversation analyzes each commandment and argues that most of them are not applicable to modern laws and society. The conversation also touches on the mistranslation of "Thou shalt not kill" and the potential implications of this ruling on government funding for religious programs. The overall consensus is that religious doctrine should not be officially supported by the government.
Shark
Even Less Religion In Our Government Yay!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/07/01/tencommandments.appeal.ap/index.html

The ten commandments monument in front of an alabama state supreme court building must go!

Yay! man this past year the supreme court sure has done some nice and LOGICAL things!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
BTW - Hi, I'm Shark. Member 1170.

Yep, I cannot see how people honestly believe that the 10C's don't violate C/SS clauses.

Let's see.

Exodus 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Erm. This is a free country where people are free to worship who they will.

Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain;

Free speech is a right we hold quite dear, last I checked.

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exodus 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work...

Laws against working on Sunday? Give me a break. I guess every poor college student should get thrown in the slammer. Or was that stoned to death? Let me check Leviticus, and get back to you...

Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother...

I don't think we have any laws on that one, either.

Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

Hey, they got one! Wonderful day. Oh. Wait. That's been a rule since Hammurabi's code.

Exodus 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Laws against adultery? Not unless you're in the military.

Exodus 20:15 Thou shalt not steal

Hey, they got another! Oh. I guess that one's also been around since well before the Bible was written.

Exodus 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Hrmm. Last I checked, there is no law against lying unless you're under oath.

Exodus 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his man-servant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that go against the very tenets of capitalism?

Exodus 20:23 Ye shall not make with me gods of silver, neither shall ye make unto you gods of gold.

Darn. That blasted freedom of religion thing rears it's ugly head again.

So, what's the tally?

2 for 10 by my count. And those are the "no s*** Sherlock" commandments, which have been codified since well before the Bible was penned.

Enigma - Actually it's only 1 of ten!

Remember there are instances which one is allowed to kill someone. A police officer can do so if they feel necessary for their own safety -and so can a citizen in self-defense.

Right? So it's just that we can't steal.

Originally posted by Shark
Enigma - Actually it's only 1 of ten!

Remember there are instances which one is allowed to kill someone. A police officer can do so if they feel necessary for their own safety -and so can a citizen in self-defense.

Right? So it's just that we can't steal.
Actually, no. From what I understand, "Thou shalt not kill" is a mistranslation. It is more correctly translated into "Thou shalt not MURDER." Self defense, etc. is ok.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Actually, no. From what I understand, "Thou shalt not kill" is a mistranslation. It is more correctly translated into "Thou shalt not MURDER." Self defense, etc. is ok.

1. Don't say "no" to my statement and then not prove where I was wrong.

2. Even if it translates to murder - it's identical. To murder is to unlawfully kill. And if God says do not kill, then all killing is unlawful, and thus it is all murder.

3. So "actually" yes. I was right as before. Next time you try to show a mistake I made do the following: A. make sure I made a mistake B. actually show where I made a mistake.

Settle down, Shark...Russ made a valid point, you can agree or not.

2. Even if it translates to murder - it's identical. To murder is to unlawfully kill. And if God says do not kill, then all killing is unlawful, and thus it is all murder.
god said "do not murder", not "do not kill". if god said do not murder, then all MURDER is unlawful, not all killing.

Let's not get distracted from the point of this thread, which is that religious doctrine should not be officially supported by the government.

1. Don't say "no" to my statement and then not prove where I was wrong.
Easy, buddy. Its a minor clarification.

Russ made a valid point, you can agree or not.
Who said that?

*mentor alert!*Next comment about 'Thou shall not kill/murder" gets deleted.

do not steal... look up the "trail of tears" (government stealing land from native americans)

i hope bush considers the ruling when he tries to fund religious programs.

1. What are the reasons for wanting less religion in our government?

The reasons for wanting less religion in our government may vary depending on personal beliefs and opinions. Some may argue that the separation of church and state should be upheld in order to maintain a fair and equal government for all citizens, regardless of religious beliefs. Others may believe that having religion play a role in government can lead to discrimination and exclusion of certain groups. Additionally, there may be concerns about the potential influence of religious institutions on political decision-making.

2. How does having less religion in our government affect religious freedom?

Having less religion in our government does not necessarily mean that religious freedom is being restricted. In fact, it can actually protect religious freedom by ensuring that no one religion is favored over another. By keeping religion out of government affairs, individuals are free to practice their own religion without fear of interference or persecution from the government.

3. Can religion still play a role in our government even with less influence?

Yes, religion can still play a role in our government even with less influence. Many politicians and government officials may hold personal religious beliefs, but it is important for them to separate their personal beliefs from their political decisions. Religion can also play a role in shaping moral and ethical values, which can in turn influence government policies and laws.

4. Is it possible to completely remove religion from our government?

It is highly unlikely that religion can be completely removed from our government, as it has played a significant role in shaping our country's history and values. However, it is possible to limit its influence and maintain a secular government that respects the diverse beliefs of its citizens.

5. How can we ensure a fair and equal government for all without religion?

Ensuring a fair and equal government for all without religion can be achieved through a separation of church and state, where religious beliefs do not play a role in political decision-making. This can also be achieved by promoting diversity and inclusivity in government and creating policies that protect the rights and freedoms of all individuals, regardless of their religious beliefs.