Even New Years gets post-poned

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even Years
In summary, Coordinated Universal Time is adjusted by adding a leap second to keep it aligned with the Earth's rotational time. This year, the leap second will occur just before 7 p.m. on New Year's Eve on the U.S. East Coast. This practice has been in place since 1972. Some people find this topic boring, while others debate its importance.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10605881/

Coordinated Universal Time coincides with winter time in London. On the U.S. East Coast, the extra second occurs just before 7 p.m. on New Year’s Eve. Atomic clocks at that moment will read 23:59:60 before rolling over to all zeros.

A leap second is added to keep uniform timekeeping within 0.9 second of the Earth’s rotational time, which can speed up or slow down because of many factors, including ocean tides. The first leap second was added on June 30, 1972, according to NIST, an arm of the U.S. Commerce Department.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Leap seconds! Sweeeeeet

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup O_O
I'll make sure to umm, not care :smile:

They delayed New year's by one second!They just mesed all plans new year's:mad:

Good old atomic clock!

Damn scientists always screwing up everyone's fun :grumpy:

How can you guys not care?!

This is a HUGE debate between those that depend on their equipment being set to within milliseconds of the correct time UTC(Coordinated Universal Time) and those that keep insisting that 12 noon should be during daylight hours forever! For crying out loud! We're only creeping out of alignment by about 1 second every 18 months or so. By time noon is occurring in the night time, people will be used to it.(Besides, I'll be dead by then and won't care.)

This thread is boring

I live in DC, so it won't affect me, whew...close call...

Pengwuino said:
This thread is boring
Yeah, what jerk thought this would be an interesting thread?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Yeah, what jerk thought this would be an interesting thread?

I dunno, let's go hunt him down!

What does "Even New Years gets post-poned" mean?

"Even New Years gets post-poned" is a common phrase used to refer to the idea that even something as significant and traditional as New Year's celebrations can be delayed or postponed due to unforeseen circumstances.

Why do people say "Even New Years gets post-poned"?

People often say this phrase to express the idea that no matter how much we plan or expect things to go a certain way, life can still throw unexpected challenges or obstacles that may cause us to change our plans.

Is "Even New Years gets post-poned" a common saying?

Yes, "Even New Years gets post-poned" is a well-known saying used in various contexts to convey the idea of unexpected change or delay.

What are some examples of when "Even New Years gets post-poned" might be used?

This phrase can be used in a variety of situations, such as when bad weather causes a New Year's celebration to be rescheduled, or when a personal event or goal is delayed due to unforeseen circumstances.

How does "Even New Years gets post-poned" relate to scientific thinking?

From a scientific perspective, this phrase can be seen as a reminder that the natural world is constantly changing and unpredictable, and that even the most carefully planned experiments or predictions can be disrupted by unexpected factors. It also highlights the importance of adaptability and flexibility in scientific research and problem-solving.