1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Even odd functions

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1)-why is x(t)+x(-t) always even??..no matter if x(t) even or odd???

2)-when we talk about unit step function...u(t)..and we add..u(t)+u(-t)..the value of both is 1 at t=0..so does'n't that gets added twice??..and it becomes 2 at t=0...

3)when we have x(-t) and we time shift it say x(-t-3) it shifts toward the -ve t axis.. where as x(t-3) the function is shifted on the + axis..why is it so??

i would be really greatful if you can help me out with the above 3 doubts..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What did you try to answer this??

For the first, fill in -a in x(t)+x(-t) and see if

[tex]x(-a)+x(-(-a))=x(a)+x(-a)[/tex]

For the second one. It actually never matters what the unit step function is in 0. So saying that u(t)+u(-t)=2 in 0, is correct, but it doesn't matter.
    Note that a lot of people choose that the unit step function is 0, or 1/2 in 0.

The third one. We actually have a function y(t)=x(-t). Then x(-t-3)=y(t+3). So it makes sense that it gets shifted to the other side.

4. Sep 8, 2011 #3
    okh..thanks for answering..i got the first 2 parts...
    buh i m still a little confuse about the third...see when we say there are 2 functions x(t) and x(t-2) it means x(t-2) is delayed by 2 sec with respect to x(t) therefore it shifts in the positive x direction.. does'n't the same apply for x(-t) and x(-t-2) the second function is time delayed by 2 secs with respect to the first so even it should shift to the positive x axis..isn't it????

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  5. Sep 8, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The - in front of the t reverses the direction. So shifting towards the positive axis becomes shifting towards the negative axis and vice versa.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook