1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Even or odd?

1. Dec 8, 2004 #1
    I just can't seem to grasp this! I have no problems finding out if a function let's say [tex]x-2x^2[/tex] is an even or odd function, but when the function is defined differently along different part along the x-axis then I don't understand anything! This function:
    [tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0 &\mbox{ if }
    -2\leq x<0\\(1/2)x & \mbox{ if }0\leq x<2\end{array}\right[/tex]

Someone help me please! :cry:
    This function is supposed to be neither acutally, but I have no idea how to show this...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well let x=1
    Then f(1)=1/2, but f(-1)=0 which is not equal to either 1/2 or -1/2.
    Hence, f(x) is neither even nor odd.

4. Dec 8, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Extra Note : Keep in mind that the above method of comparing f(a) with f(-a) for a particular choice of 'a', can be used only to show that f is neither even nor odd.

To show that some f is even or odd in a given domain, you must show that the relevant relationship holds for all 'a' in the specified domain.

5. Dec 8, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As Gokul said, I gave a SUFFICIENT proof of f being neither even or odd, by providing a COUNTER-EXAMPLE (of even-ness and odd-ness).

6. Dec 8, 2004 #5
    As Gokul said, it only gives me the answer at the point a. I can show that each of the functions separately are either even or odd (or neither), but how do I show this for a given domain...? I know the definition for an odd function is f(-x) = -f(x), and for an even function f(-x) = f(x), but in what function should I put in the negative x?? I have two (sometimes more) to chose from, 0 and (1/2)x. Help! Nå ser jeg jo at jeg sikkert kunne skrevet norsk her også...

7. Dec 8, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's enough with a single counter-example to prove that it is neither even or odd on the given domain (the condition for even-ness must hold for ALL members in the domain in order for the function to be even).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?