Event Horizon calculation

In summary, the black hole's event horizon will be about 30 km in comparison to the current size of the supergiant. The correct answer choice is (B) 0.00000004× the supergiant’s radius.
bobo1455
Here's the question:

One of the brightest stars in our night sky is a red supergiant with a mass about 10× the
Sun’s mass and a radius about 1000× the Sun’s radius. At the end of its life it will explode
as a supernova and then collapse and become a black hole. How large will the black hole’s
event horizon be compared to the size of the supergiant now.

The answer choices are given as multiple choice:

(A) 0× the supergiant’s radius
(B) 0.00000004× the supergiant’s radius
(C) 0.000004× the supergiant’s radius
(D) 0.0004× the supergiant’s radius
(E) 0.04× the supergiant’s radius

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My attempt:

I'm going to use formula for Schwarzschild radius which is: r = 2*G*m / c^2

The question said mass 10x the Sun's mass, so Sun's mass = 1.98 * 10^30 kg, the mass I'm using will be 10x that, which is: 1.98 * 10^31 kg

And then I plugged that into the formula and got: 14.7690207 km

Then, the question says that the radius of the Supergiant is 1000x that of the Sun's radius. I have the Sun's radius as: 695000 km, so 695000 * 1000 km is what I am using.

Finally, I take 14.7690207 km and divide it by 695,000,000 and get: 0.0000000212503895

The answer is closest to (B), but what I calculated is literally half of answer (B).

I figured, maybe the event horizon is like the diameter, so what I have is actually the ratio of the radius, so I should double it and that would give me (B), but I am not sure if that's right or not.

What am I missing here? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you forgot the factor of 2 in the r = 2Gm/c^2. A 10 solar mass black hole should have e Schwarzschild radius of about 30 km.

Oh yeah, you're right. Thanks!

1. What is the Event Horizon calculation?

The Event Horizon calculation is a mathematical formula used to determine the boundary of a black hole, known as the event horizon. It takes into account the mass and spin of the black hole to determine the point at which the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, making it impossible for any matter or energy to escape.

2. How is the Event Horizon calculation used in astrophysics?

The Event Horizon calculation is used to study and understand the properties of black holes, which are some of the most mysterious and powerful objects in the universe. It allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of matter and energy near the event horizon, and how it affects the surrounding space.

3. What factors are considered in the Event Horizon calculation?

The Event Horizon calculation takes into account the mass and spin of the black hole, as well as the speed of light and the gravitational constant. It also considers the effects of space-time curvature and the theory of relativity.

4. Can the Event Horizon calculation be applied to all black holes?

Yes, the Event Horizon calculation can be applied to all black holes, regardless of their size or location in the universe. It is a universal formula that is used to determine the event horizon of any black hole, whether it is a small stellar black hole or a supermassive black hole at the center of a galaxy.

5. How accurate is the Event Horizon calculation?

The Event Horizon calculation is considered to be very accurate, but it is based on our current understanding of physics and the properties of black holes. As our understanding of these concepts continues to evolve, the calculation may be refined and improved. Additionally, the calculation may not take into account all factors that could affect the event horizon, such as quantum effects or the presence of dark matter.