1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Event Probability question

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    Events A and B are events such that

P(A) = 1/2
    P(B) = 1/4
    P(A or B but not both) = 1/3.

Find P(A intersect B)

so far what i have in mind is that , for A to happens, it need to be 1/3 x 1/2 which is 1/6
    and for B to happens, it need to be 1/4 x 1/3 which is 1/12. Then i'm stuck here, not sure how should i find the intersect point. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by "for A to happens, it need to be 1/3 x 1/2". Do you mean the probability that A happens is 1/6? No, you have already said that the probability that A happens is 1/2 alone.

Think about this simplified scenario: A contains 6 objects, 2 of which are also in B, and B contains 5 objects. |A|= 6, |B|= 5, |A intersect B|= 2. How many objects are in A union B (in "A or B")? If we just add |A|+ |B|= 11, that's two large because we are counting objects in A intersect B twice, once in A and once in B. There are |A|+ |B|- |A intersect B|= 6+ 5- 2= 9 objects in A union B. That's were we get the rule P(A union B)= P(A)+ P(B)- P(A intersect B). Now, to get the number of objects in "A or B but not both" we just subtract A intersect B again: 9- 2= 7.
    Yes, that is correct: there are 6- 2= 4 objects in "A but not B", 5- 2= 3 objects in "B but not A" and so 4+ 3= 7 objects in A or B but not Both. The number of objects in A or B but not Both is |A|+ |B|- 2|A intersect B|.

Converting that to probability requires only dividing through by the total number of objects so: P(A or B but not both)= P(A)+ P(B)- 2P(A intersect B).

P(A or B but not both)= 1/3= 1/2+ 1/4- 2P(A intersect B).

Solve for P(A intersect B).

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Feb 21, 2009 #4
    P(A or B but not both) = P(A or B) - P(A and B)
    P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)
    P(A or B) - P(A and B) = P(A) + P(B) - 2P(A and B)

I think you can continue from here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook