Eveporation of water for slurry

• Thread starter Derry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the high water content in cattle slurry makes it difficult to spread on land, and evaporating the water could free up land for use. However, evaporating the water would require energy, which might not be available in the area.
Derry
Hi all
New to the forum. I have a question we are dairy farming and we produce a lot of cattle slurry. There is a high water content in the slurry from washing surface area. We are need to find more land to spread the slurry, which will mean hauling longer distances. I was thinking is there anyway the slurry could be put through a machine and evaporate the water. This way we would have less manure to spread and it would have a much higher fertilizer value. I am just thinking out loud, any suggestion would be appreciate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem is it takes energy to evaporate (boil) off the water. You get that free from the sun when you spread it on the land. I don't know if there is a machine to do the job but it would need an energy source to power it.

Google found that that there are slurry separators. This one used to produce bedding material..

http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/machinery/machinery-features/slurry-separator-system-turns-waste-into-free-bedding/55333.article

If you have access to lots of the stuff (or could form a co-operative with neighbours) it might be possible to use Anaerobic Digestion to generate power. In some countries there are generous "Feed in Tariffs" for such electricity. Google found this Review of Anaerobic Digestion Plants on UK Farms.

http://www.fre-energy.co.uk/pdf/RASE-On-Farm-AD-Review.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply, I have searched the net and can only find a few company's one called ww.evaporator.com that sells such machines going by their sites they are giving costs as low at 1 to 2 cents/ gal of per distilled waste. Which is reasonably low. We are restricted in the volumes we spread on the land so we would need less land to spread the slurry so this would also be a saving toward s the machine. We have looked Anaerobic digestion but with the tariffs we receive for electricity it does not pay. Anyone know what temp slurry would have to be heated up to, to evaporate of the water making it safe to either condense and put back in the water ways or just leave it off as steam.

Hello, welcome to the forum. I can provide some information about the potential evaporation of water from slurry. Evaporation is a natural process that occurs when water is exposed to air and heat. However, it is not a feasible solution for removing water from slurry for several reasons.

Firstly, the amount of energy and time required to evaporate water from a large volume of slurry would be significant. This process would also require specialized equipment and expertise, which may not be cost-effective for a dairy farm.

Secondly, evaporating water from slurry would also result in the loss of valuable nutrients, such as nitrogen and phosphorus, which are essential for plant growth. These nutrients are present in the liquid portion of the slurry and would be lost during the evaporation process.

Lastly, the remaining solid portion of the slurry after evaporation would still need to be spread on land, as it contains organic matter and other beneficial nutrients. This would not reduce the need for finding more land to spread the slurry.

Instead of evaporation, there are other methods that can be used to reduce the water content in slurry, such as mechanical separation or composting. These methods can help to concentrate the nutrients in a smaller volume, making it easier to transport and spread on land.

I hope this information helps. It is important to consider the potential consequences and feasibility of any solution before implementing it on a large scale. I suggest consulting with experts in the field of dairy farming and nutrient management to find the best solution for your specific situation.

What is the process of evaporation of water for slurry?

The process of evaporation of water for slurry is the conversion of liquid water into vapor through the application of heat or energy. In the context of slurry, this process is used to remove excess water from a mixture of solids and water, resulting in a more concentrated substance.

Why is evaporation of water important in slurry production?

Evaporation of water is important in slurry production because it helps to reduce the moisture content of the mixture, making it easier to handle and transport. It also helps to improve the consistency and quality of the slurry, making it more suitable for various industrial applications.

What factors affect the rate of evaporation in slurry?

The rate of evaporation in slurry can be affected by various factors, including temperature, humidity, air flow, and surface area. Higher temperatures and lower humidity levels can increase the rate of evaporation, while higher air flow and larger surface area can also speed up the process.

What are the different methods of evaporation used in slurry production?

There are several methods of evaporation used in slurry production, including direct evaporation, indirect evaporation, and vacuum evaporation. Direct evaporation involves heating the mixture directly, while indirect evaporation uses heat exchangers to transfer heat to the mixture. Vacuum evaporation uses reduced pressure to lower the boiling point of the liquid, allowing for more efficient evaporation.

How is the evaporation of water for slurry monitored and controlled?

The evaporation of water for slurry is typically monitored and controlled through the use of sensors and control systems. These systems can measure and adjust factors such as temperature, humidity, and air flow to ensure optimal evaporation rates. Additionally, operators may also visually inspect the mixture and make adjustments as needed to achieve the desired consistency and moisture content.