Ever had a freaky realistic dream that you remember very well

• Thread starter TR345
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about strange dreams and lucid dreaming. One person shared a dream about being part of a research group and another person talked about a dream where they were a prisoner and had their organs harvested. They also discussed tips for practicing lucid dreaming, including keeping a dream journal, actively wanting to become lucid, and not buying into supposed remedies. The conversation also touched on the topic of websites that mix lucid dreaming with paranormal beliefs.
TR345
Just had a dream that I was part of some research group, but the trick was on me because I was secretly the test subject. They exposed me to some really high power electrical/or magnetic field or something. Afterwards my vision became all bright and blurry, and my hands were very strongly magnetically attracted to my head. When I brought my hands near my head, my vision got brighter and it was like I could see energy and feel it passing from my fingertips to my head. I then began thrashing around trying top destroy all the equipment the professor then told Kramer from seinfelt to take over while she was gone and booked out of some whole in the wall. Then I woke up, weird.

Anyone else have strange dreams after staying up researching physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I had a similar dream once. I was a POW pulled out of a cage and made to stand in line with other prisoners. I heard screams coming from down this dark hallway we were maving down. When I got near the front of the line I saw them using a machine to pull good organs and tissue out of the POWs and transfer it to their wounded soldiers, shredding the donor in the process. I tried to run but the guards used weapons on me that paralyzed me and dragged me back.
Freaky dream considering I was only a kid at the time.

As for realism my brain has a tendency to wake up halfway sometimes while I'm asleep so I am aware that I am dreaming. I always feel an urgent need to wake up but cann't. So my mind, to calm me, makes me dream that I woke up and I fall for it every time. lol

is anyone here able to lucid dream?

_Muddy_ said:
is anyone here able to lucid dream?

I practice lucid dreaming. It's very amusing; especially once you get the hang of it. Flying across town, going into space, even solving a math problem (sometimes it works, other times you wake up and realize you were waaaaaaaay off), and, for me, every dream turns...intimate. *Ahem* :shy:

Learning to lucid dream isn't all that hard.
1) Keep a dream journal beside your bed with a pencil, and when you awake from sleep immediately write down what the dream was (the longer you wait to write your dream down, the less you remember; after 5 minutes you lose half your dream). Many people think they don't dream because they wake up, and just remember sleepiness. The longer you keep your dream journal, and consistently use it every morning, the more dreams you'll remember.
2) Actively want to become lucid. When you go to sleep that night, remind yourself and think about how much you want the dream to be lucid. Many times this will carry your consciousness over to the dream world.
3) Don't buy into the magical 'remedies' that supposidly make you lucid (the kind of crap you see on the internet/infomercials). They're a bunch of placebo crap. Some people swear by Vitamin B-6 and B-12, but after doing a two week study on the effects B had on my dreams, I didn't find any noticable change.
4) Don't expect to get lucid dreams right away! It took me a couple weeks to go from not remembering my dreams, to remembering them clearly, to short lucidity of maybe 5-30 seconds ('waking up' in my dream and saying "Hey! I'm dreaming. This is awesome! What am I going to d-..." and then I either woke up or started 'dream dreaming' again), to long drawn out explorations of my mind that felt like hours (though they were only, in reality, relatively short).
5) While you can make concentration of lucid dreams in, say, a given week higher by following the above points, you can't just turn on the lucid switch. It comes naturally, and can't be controlled really (to my knowledge).

There are websites out there on lucid dreaming that one could visit to learn more, but they'll basically reiterate the points above. I don't like most websites because they mesh lucid dreaming, a real phenomena, with paranormal bullcrap like 'astral projection' and other weird crap.

Daniel Y. said:
I practice lucid dreaming. It's very amusing; especially once you get the hang of it. Flying across town, going into space, even solving a math problem (sometimes it works, other times you wake up and realize you were waaaaaaaay off), and, for me, every dream turns...intimate. *Ahem* :shy:

Learning to lucid dream isn't all that hard.
1) Keep a dream journal beside your bed with a pencil, and when you awake from sleep immediately write down what the dream was (the longer you wait to write your dream down, the less you remember; after 5 minutes you lose half your dream). Many people think they don't dream because they wake up, and just remember sleepiness. The longer you keep your dream journal, and consistently use it every morning, the more dreams you'll remember.
2) Actively want to become lucid. When you go to sleep that night, remind yourself and think about how much you want the dream to be lucid. Many times this will carry your consciousness over to the dream world.
3) Don't buy into the magical 'remedies' that supposidly make you lucid (the kind of crap you see on the internet/infomercials). They're a bunch of placebo crap. Some people swear by Vitamin B-6 and B-12, but after doing a two week study on the effects B had on my dreams, I didn't find any noticable change.
4) Don't expect to get lucid dreams right away! It took me a couple weeks to go from not remembering my dreams, to remembering them clearly, to short lucidity of maybe 5-30 seconds ('waking up' in my dream and saying "Hey! I'm dreaming. This is awesome! What am I going to d-..." and then I either woke up or started 'dream dreaming' again), to long drawn out explorations of my mind that felt like hours (though they were only, in reality, relatively short).
5) While you can make concentration of lucid dreams in, say, a given week higher by following the above points, you can't just turn on the lucid switch. It comes naturally, and can't be controlled really (to my knowledge).

There are websites out there on lucid dreaming that one could visit to learn more, but they'll basically reiterate the points above. I don't like most websites because they mesh lucid dreaming, a real phenomena, with paranormal bullcrap like 'astral projection' and other weird crap.

Actually come to think of it. When I was younger I used to be able to control my dreams for a period. Whenever i used to dream my dream would just switch to me swimming breaststroke in mid air and flying over fields. Dunoo if it was just a recurring dream or whether i was dreaming lucid. Anyway I'll definatly try that for a few weeks and report back to you. Can you lucid dream every night?

_Muddy_ said:
Actually come to think of it. When I was younger I used to be able to control my dreams for a period. Whenever i used to dream my dream would just switch to me swimming breaststroke in mid air and flying over fields. Dunoo if it was just a recurring dream or whether i was dreaming lucid. Anyway I'll definatly try that for a few weeks and report back to you. Can you lucid dream every night?

You'll know if you lucid dream. Unless you can change the dream scene/do whatever you want, you aren't lucid dreaming. You could lucid dream every night. Doesn't mean it'll happen anymore than it's going to rain for the next week straight. You can't make yourself lucid dream, just greatly increase the chance it'll happen.

I didn't change my dreams but I remembr that when I was younger, I would stop whatever I was doing in the middle of a dream and then think to myself that, "hey this is a cool dream." :smile:

Now I just dream..probably to get away from reality. :rolleyes:

~christina~ said:
I didn't change my dreams but I remembr that when I was younger, I would stop whatever I was doing in the middle of a dream and then think to myself that, "hey this is a cool dream." :smile:

Now I just dream..probably to get away from reality. :rolleyes:

I just can't change my dreams :shy:

Can it be possible that people or environment in my dreams control me even if I lucid dream?

Few months ago*, some person was literally controlling me and I couldn't do anything .. (I just acted like real me even though I knew I was in dream)

Last edited:
I don't think I can lucid dream, I have tried, and never succeeded, yet. I guess, I'll keep trying :biggrin:

rootX said:
I just can't change my dreams :shy:

Can it be possible that people or environment in my dreams control me even if I lucid dream?

Few months ago*, some person was literally controlling me and I couldn't do anything .. (I just acted like real me even though I knew I was in dream)

Of course! How boring would a lucid dream be if nothing can interact with you? It's whether or not *you* can control how you react to the dream that makes you lucid.

Is a lucid dream like you can feel and hear? I sometimes have episodes where I feel a body next to mine breathing. I sometimes hear t.v.'s or radios in the background. I know I am in this state and thought it was an out-of-body experience.

Any one interested in lucid dreaming may like a book by Carlos Casteneda called 'The Art of Dreaming'. It's more or less been proven that his stories are fictitious even though they are presented as being his own experiences. Either way it's a neat story and some of the techniques he describes in the book for lucid dreaming may actually be worth trying.

I had a dream that was interesting about a week ago. The setting was in my house exactly as it is in reality, a truck showed up in the middle of the night and a group of men in ski masks with automatic weapons got out. I got out of bed which was the same bed as reality, I ran and hid in a room where there is a 22 that is hidden. I looked where I thought the 22 was in the dream to find that it was not there, then I kept looking, and finally found it in the spot it actually is in reality.

The weird part is that some part of my brain knew where it was during the dream, and that part of the brain must have been making the settings. Another part of my brain was lucid but wasn't aware of where the things were.

how are you supposed to keep a dream diary if you don't wake up after dreams?

_Muddy_ said:
how are you supposed to keep a dream diary if you don't wake up after dreams?

If you don't wake up, you've got bigger problems. :rofl:

You keep a dream journal so you remember what you dreamed, the more you use the journal, the better you'll remember your dreams, it has nothing to do with the length of time after you've dreamed.

I've only had a handful of lucid dreams, but they are very entertaining. I just keep forgetting that I want to have a lucid dream when I fall asleep.

Do lucid dreams seem to last longer than uncontrolled dreams? Not in real world time, but 'dream time' for lack of better words.Has anyone ever experienced that while dreaming of a familiar area, the area seems to be from a different perspective? When I was young I would have dreams of flying around in my back yard, but the entire are would look new... unfamiliar. Individual things would be familiar, but overall the whole scene would look a little off.

B. Elliott said:
Do lucid dreams seem to last longer than uncontrolled dreams? Not in real world time, but 'dream time' for lack of better words.QUOTE]

Not really. Some dreams are long, some are short, and some you wake up right in the middle of them. The same goes for lucid dreams; some are short, some are long, and sometimes you fall back asleep or jolt awake in the middle of a lucid dream. We all know how long dreams can feel like (hours), when in reality the dream only manifest for a few minutes. When you can lucid dream for those few minutes, it can seem like hours.

Safe to say if you can't control your lucid dreams very well, you'll probably have short lucid dreams until you learn to control them better.

I have a personal dream diary.
I nudge her and say remember this ... then fall back asleep.

It doesn't work. She has a terrible memory for dreams.

Lucid dreams are fun. It's the controlled flying that got me started in dream memory.

Sometimes I have dreams that are completely normal. For example, the dream is just of me and my friend talking in my apartment. Then later on during the day I can't remember the conversation actually happened or not. Nothing freaky though.

I still remember a dream I had about six or seven months ago. The previous day I was at a friends house working on his computer. When I was finished, he let me play a few rounds of Call of Duty 4 since I haven't had time to play any in quite a while now.

Well, the dream that I had that night was exactly the same as Call of Duty 4. It was actually pretty fun at the time, but after I woke up it left me feeling a bit strange consider I just had a dream about lobbing grenades into buildings in order to take out terrorists. I usually try not to read too much into dreams, but Freud would have had a field day with it...

That one, and another I had when I was younger where I was being attacked by squirrels. Well, at one point during the squirrel attack, I decided that it would hurt less if I threw my non-dominant arm in their direction to let them chew on that one instead of my right arm since it hurt less.

If anything, I learned a critical squirrel attack survival skill from it.:biggrin:

1. What causes people to have freaky realistic dreams?

There is no one specific cause for having freaky realistic dreams. It could be a result of stress, anxiety, medication, or even certain foods or drinks. The content of the dream can also be influenced by personal experiences and thoughts.

2. Can these dreams have any meaning or significance?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that dreams have a specific meaning or significance. However, some people believe that dreams can reflect our subconscious thoughts and emotions.

3. How can I remember my dreams better?

Keeping a dream journal or writing down your dreams as soon as you wake up can help improve your dream recall. Also, getting enough sleep and avoiding alcohol and drugs can improve dream memory.

4. Is it normal to have frequent freaky realistic dreams?

It is normal to have vivid and intense dreams, including freaky realistic ones, from time to time. However, if these dreams are causing distress or interrupting daily life, it may be worth discussing with a doctor or therapist.

5. Can you control the content of your dreams?

While it is possible to influence dream content through techniques such as lucid dreaming, it is not possible to fully control the content of your dreams. Dreams are a product of the unconscious mind and can be unpredictable.