Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ever had one of those days ?

1. Jan 9, 2010 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ever had "one of those days"?

My water connection to my refrigerator has mysteriously stopped.

My toilet clogged up and the brand new plunger I bought is defective and won't create any suction (the rubber has a tear inside the cup) Luckily I have two bathrooms.

Is my refrigerator ice maker getting water from the toilet? That might explain a few things...

The shelf in my pantry collapsed on top of me, crashing down on my back....again.

My dryer is making an electronic crackling noise, so I have a load of wet laundry and no place to put it. I'm afraid to run the dryer until I can figure out what the noise is.

The temperature is near zero F outside, what next? Will my heat go out?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2010 #2
    Re: Ever had "one of those days"?

You need a (handy) man!!!

4. Jan 9, 2010 #3

Time to call the manager of the buildings. Hope things get fixed very soon.

5. Jan 9, 2010 #4

Evo

Aarrgh, I can usually fix anything, but I'm afraid I may have met my match this time.

6. Jan 9, 2010 #5

Astronuc

The Ghost from the Domicile of Doom followed you! :uhh:

7. Jan 9, 2010 #6

The crackling noise in the dryer sounds like it could be the electronic spark for initiating the pilot light. It could be a couple of things---often the thermocouple. One time it was the safety switch--- the access panel wasn't in place.

8. Jan 9, 2010 #7

Have you got all the video cams set up in your apt yet? can you move one to under the sink?

9. Jan 9, 2010 #8

Evo

:surprised

It's an electric dryer. The sound seems to be coming from the exhaust hose. o_O

I *will* unclog my own toilet, damnit. There has never been a toilet I couldn't unclog. But what clogged it? I don't create that much waste material. I don't. Really.

10. Jan 9, 2010 #9

well, it could be a crackle in the hose-

-crackles make crackling sounds

11. Jan 9, 2010 #10

Evo

Why would the hose start crackling? Any ideas? I've bent myself behind the dryer and felt all along the hose to see if there was any vibration that might be causing it and I felt nothing. I'm flummoxed.

12. Jan 9, 2010 #11

have you trained the dog to use it?

13. Jan 9, 2010 #12

try not to be too flummoxed-----

have you tried unplugging it, then plugging it back in? --

it may re-set the electronics

14. Jan 9, 2010 #13

take a nap.

15. Jan 9, 2010 #14

Evo

It's coming from the hose, not the dryer. I thought it might be static, but when I start the dryer and it's cold, the noise starts instantly. I'm wondering if some lining inside the hose has come loose. That's got to be it.

(adds replacement dryer hose to handyman list)

Now I need to fix the holes in that incredibly cheap fiberboard that holds the shelf clips. I already replaced the ridiculous plastic clips with metal ones, but the fiberboard is so thin and weak, the holes have enlarged. When I move, I may replace the cabinets with ones I make myself. Luxury apartments with the cheapest cabinets I've ever seen. I should send my doctor bill for my back to them.

16. Jan 9, 2010 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it's an electrical sounding crackle, I'd call an electrician if I were you. Most electric dryers run on 220 volts - that's nothing to mess around with.

I hope the water line to your refrigerator isn't frozen! Is it possible for a toilet to clog due to a frozen sewer line? I've never heard of such a thing, but you're getting slammed with cold now.

I agree with hypatia...definitely call building maintenance.

Edit: just read your last post. Can you disconnect the hose?

17. Jan 9, 2010 #16

does the dryer work? (create heat?)

and, then, there may be 'something' in the hose-

--have you ever cleaned the hose?

18. Jan 9, 2010 #17

Evo

I thought about that, but I don't have any exposed pipes. The water is running fine elsewhere. (uh oh, I shouldn't have said that).

If I disconnect the hose, the lint will blow all over the laundry room. I'm going to go with my torn lining theory, although I've never run into that problem before. I'm sure this is the cheapest dryer hose on the planet though.

If my back is better tomorrow, I will redrill the holes for the cabinet and shift the shelves down to the new holes. Then I can refill the enlarged holes with wood filler, which is very hard, and then drill them out. The apartment handyman won't go to that trouble, better to just do that myself.

19. Jan 9, 2010 #18

I am sorry to hear about your troubles, Evo, but I find that stuff rather easy. You should try getting a judge who's buddy-buddy with ex's attorney to simply enforce a divorce decree as it was written.

Now that's hard. Sadly, similar relationships exist throughout humanity, and result in similar errors of judgement, even among otherwise very bright and capable individuals.

It seems none of us are immune.

20. Jan 9, 2010 #19

don't turn the dryer on, until AFTER you've taken it off AND put it back on to check to see if there's something in the hose

21. Jan 9, 2010 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, ok. If you're really sure the sound is coming from the hose, you should unhook it, then vacuum all the lint you can see. Then turn it on just for a few seconds (with no clothes in it), to make sure the noise isn't coming from inside the dryer.

If you hook it back up and find that the noise is gone, maybe it was due to lint build up in the hose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook