Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ever heard of Slingbox?

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Ever heard of Slingbox? http://www.slingbox.com/

Basically, you hook it up to your tv/tuner box and it streams the video on a network. With software to control the channel, this means you can watch your home tv from anywhere in the world.

For me, I see two big advantages of this:
    1. I'm single and I have only 1 HDTV but I have two computers. So I can carry a laptop into rooms where I don't have a cable box and watch tv from it. No need for another cable box (they are expensive).
    2. Watching tv on my phone.

Questions:
    1. I'm not seeing anything about a monthly fee - am I correct in assuming there aren't any?
    2. I don't see stand-alone devices to drive a tv, which would be nice to have: then I'm basically just multiplexing the tv signal for use in the house. Are there devices which can do such a thing? This would be more valuable than watching tv on my phone or PC.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2

jtbell

Re: Slingbox

For #1, I don't think there are any fees involved, but I don't use one myself so I don't know for sure. For #2, it looks like what you want is a Slingcatcher.

4. Jul 23, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Huh - oddly, they don't seem to have that linked from slingbox.com. Looking at retailers, it kinda looks like it might be discontinued.

5. Jul 23, 2010 #4

jtbell

Looks like you're right. I can't find it anywhere either. I did find references to something called the Monsoon Volcano which was supposed to come out in March, but hasn't, yet. One forum has a guy who posted that he's given up waiting for the Volcano and is now trying to find a Slingcatcher. That sounds like there might not be anything else like this out there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook