Genius: A Closer Look at Extraordinary Mental Power

• Thread starter Parishrut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genius
In summary: In a classroom of 25 people, there might be only three or four people who are really smart. The rest of us are just competent.

Have you ever known a genius?

• Total voters
Parishrut
By Genius I refer to a person with extraordinary mental power. :tongue:

My dad told me about a friend of his; his roommate in high-school who was a genius. I was completely mesmerized! As my dad told me: He could solve problems no teacher could, he could remember tiny, tiny details that no one could (photographic memory?), he enrolled in a highly regarded college in my country and topped all main and extra subjects and was a champion in chess there. He is around 50 years old and continues to study and learn for many hours a day and understands over twenty-five languages (that is a mere estimate). He has a great grip on history and can relate historical events better than any history professor (can do things like filling up of words of an old language on an obliterated stone tablet!). In short, he has an extraordinary brain power.

There is a bit of problem though - he is apparently unemployed, seemingly because his pride. He does not want to work under anybody (which is justified). But then he doesn't publish anything on his own either (despite motivation from friends), and yet continues to study on and teach his kids! He also seemingly isn't the best socially (is that not with all geniuses?).

That was just a little *I am learning English, please suggest a word to put in this space*.

But have YOU ever known a genius? Please participate in the poll if you haven't.

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
My experience has been that genius' are ten times smarter than they should be. :-)

What is a genius? One that has the capacity, or one that can harness their capacity?

A lot of geniuses post here. They're 16, have 188 IQs, are self-studying integration, and want to study physics and math all day and make major breakthroughs. But Einstein had an IQ of 240 and knew calculus at 4--should they just give up now because they have no chance in life?

I see that you only have two posts, so you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. Give it a few days and you likely will.

I'm the only person I know smarter than me.

To be fair, I'm probably not as smart as Tobias. Only 133 posts and he already knows how polls work on PF.

Channel 4 showed a competition on TV to find the brightest child in Britain. Here's a trailer:

It was impressive, hilarious and terrifying all at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I thought the poll said genus.

BobG said:
I'm the only person I know smarter than me.

Only a genius could say something like that!

BobG said:
To be fair, I'm probably not as smart as Tobias. Only 133 posts and he already knows how polls work on PF

Lol, that isn't an easy thing to do!

I worked for one for about three years.
Took me several months to figure out what he was.
They're not all the same... this one was imminently practical, equally at home rebuilding his airplane engine , designing electronics , or arguing nuclear physics with PHD's.

I knew a guy who looked and acted like a genius, smart, nerdy, and all that, but when he hit college, it was like he slammed into a brick wall. He was a couple of years behind me, so I couldn't say for sure what did him in: being away from home for the first time, living with a lot of strangers, the pace of the work and the amount of studying to be done in a limited time, or what. He lasted one semester, then poof!, never heard from again.

Well , I've met Wayne Gretzky.I guess that's not what you were looking for but that's all I have.

I don't believe in ghosts.

I met P. A. M. Dirac once, when I was a grad student. Does he qualify?

Why does this poll allow multiple answers? :grumpy:

Dembadon said:

Paradox :tongue2:

Dembadon said:

A genius might meet a genius!:tongue2:

Lisa! said:
A genius might meet a genius!:tongue2:

Exactly!

I am a genius. Simple.

I doubt many of us will ever meet a genius on the level of say a John Von Neumann (who was so smart that some of the smartest scientists at his time thought even he was an alien from another planet), but some of my professors have been freakishly intelligent.

1. How is a genius defined?

A genius is typically defined as a person who possesses exceptional intelligence, creativity, and originality in a particular field or subject.

2. Can someone become a genius or is it innate?

While some people may have a natural inclination towards certain areas and may be considered "geniuses" in those fields, it is possible for anyone to develop the skills and characteristics of a genius through hard work, dedication, and practice.

3. Is there a specific IQ level that determines a person as a genius?

IQ (intelligence quotient) is just one measure of intelligence and there is no specific number that determines a person as a genius. Many factors, including creativity, problem-solving abilities, and emotional intelligence, contribute to a person's overall intelligence.

4. Are all geniuses successful in their chosen field?

While many geniuses do achieve great success in their field, success is not a guaranteed outcome for all geniuses. Factors such as opportunity, resources, and luck also play a role in determining a person's level of success.

5. Can someone be a genius in multiple fields?

Yes, it is possible for someone to be a genius in multiple fields. Many geniuses have diverse interests and talents and are able to excel in multiple areas of study or work.