Ever thought of living where no one knows you

• Thread starter WIN
  • Start date
In summary: Island. You got it, dude.Island. You got it, dude.Yay! :partytime: :biggrin:You are right, remote does mean geographically far away.
WIN
Just some random thoughts :smile:

ever thought of this:
book a flight, leave a measage for your family and took off to somewhere no one know you and start your career and family there(provided you're not married and not attachment i mean).

which country would you fly to?
let the imagination run free and share your thoughts :woot:

Physics news on Phys.org
WIN said:

I flew to San Antonia, Texas, USA, for Basic Military Training. :-p

I have thought of it, but not for forever. Just for a weekend. Without leaving any message to my parents, just leave all alone. While they think I'm at my country, I'm actually thousands of miles away in another country! Bwahahaha! That's so evil and rebel.

I've thought about Las Vegas, California, for a weekend. And eat lots of chocolate at a hotel. I don't drink alcohol so I'll waste my money on chocolate. :biggrin:

I don't dream of a specific country. My dream is to become disgustingly rich, than sell everything and become a pilgrim. Living in the woods, in a cave only with a credit card in my pocket so that I wouldn't have to worry about profane things. Of course, I would spend as little as possible and leave the rest for the charity after my death. I would visit all the sacred places in the world. Than I would die peacefully with smile on my face knowing the TRUTH.

WIN said:

ever thought of this:
book a flight, leave a measage for your family and took off to somewhere no one know you and start your career and family there(provided you're not married and not attachment i mean).

I retired in Bali. I didn't know anyone there.

It was paradise. Then it changed and I got bored, so after ten years I left.

Once my duties here are done I'll try Yogyakarta. More remote possibilities are Ethiopia, Cyprus, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Timor Leste, Malawi, Republic of the Congo.

I once met a former Hungarian who lived with a tribe in Papua!

Sophia said:
I don't dream of a specific country. My dream is to become disgustingly rich, than sell everything and become a pilgrim. Living in the woods, in a cave only with a credit card in my pocket so that I wouldn't have to worry about profane things. Of course, I would spend as little as possible and leave the rest for the charity after my death. I would visit all the sacred places in the world. Than I would die peacefully with smile on my face knowing the TRUTH.
I sympathize with your way. But be careful when looking for The Truth. You don't want to end up like him. :-p I'm joking.
Hornbein said:
I retired in Bali. I didn't know anyone there.

It was paradise. Then it changed and I got bored, so after ten years I left.
Where is that? :bugeye:

Likes Sophia
Psinter said:
Where is that? :bugeye:

Might I suggest a map?

Hornbein said:
Might I suggest a map?
Yep. Please... Wait... you are making fun of me, aren't you? :oldgrumpy: It took me a little to catch on.

Google says it is an island, am I spot on? :oldconfused:

Psinter said:
Yep. Please... Wait... you are making fun of me, aren't you? :oldgrumpy: It took me a little to catch on.

Google says it is an island, am I spot on? :oldconfused:

Island. You got it, dude.

Likes Psinter
Hornbein said:
Island. You got it, dude.
Yay! :partytime: :biggrin:

Through about sixth grade my dream was to be a hermit. Seventh grade i noticed girls are pretty.

Mid life crisis time i envied Saul Bellow's character "Kenneth" , from "More Die of Heartbreak than Radiation"
who
...sends his wife ahead to their honeymoon, and changes his ticket for the North Pole.

Then some busy years went rushing by and i had no time to daydream
but Fair Anne & i got all the kids launched

then like Gerry Rafferty said, we "settled down in some quiet little town, to forget about everything.."
; google 72482

If i win Lotto i think I'll move to Key West, buy the old high school for a workshop and build myself a fine wooden boat.

upload_2016-2-25_15-25-56.png

“Man staggers through life yapped at by his reason, pulled and shoved by his appetites, whispered to by fears, beckoned by hopes. Small wonder that what he craves most is self-forgetting.” eric hoffer

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
jim hardy said:
Through about sixth grade my dream was to be a hermit.
That sounds nice. Not anymore? I would be your apprentice if you decide to become one. :smile:

Hornbein said:
More remote possibilities are Ethiopia, Cyprus, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Timor Leste, Malawi, Republic of the Congo.

In this context, does "remote" refer to how far off the beaten trail they are, or does it mean there is only a small possibility that you'll actually do it?

Psinter said:
I have thought of it, but not for forever. Just for a weekend. Without leaving any message to my parents, just leave all alone. While they think I'm at my country, I'm actually thousands of miles away in another country! Bwahahaha! That's so evil and rebel.

I've thought about Las Vegas, California, for a weekend. And eat lots of chocolate at a hotel. I don't drink alcohol so I'll waste my money on chocolate. :biggrin:
Las Vegas is in Nevada - next door to California :oldbiggrin:

Likes Psinter
lisab said:
Las Vegas is in Nevada - next door to California :oldbiggrin:
Oh my. I got it wrong. Thanks for the correction. To Las Vegas, Nevada it is then. :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
[...] or Fiji [...]
I guess you haven't seen their recent weather reports? :oldeek:

lisab said:
In this context, does "remote" refer to how far off the beaten trail they are, or does it mean there is only a small possibility that you'll actually do it?

Small chance. But greater than zero, definitely.

Speaking of leaving (almost) everything behind, I did exactly that a few months ago. (But I did research things quite a bit before doing so.)

I often think about leaving for mars, it would be a new kind of loneliness. Certainly not something I am not used to though. It would be beautiful. Its a bit different from ops usual response, another planet and all.

Last edited:
If someone really wants to do this, I would suggest this book. "The Partner" by Grisham. If you want to go, you may as well plan it out.

Even otherwise, the most fun would be to get lost in the same city as your parents. Live for 20 years or so and then suddenly they chance upon you in the market place and you go..:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

At age 29 I packed up everything and went to a new city where I had visited a week before and found a job (after spending 6 months as a ski bum). I knew no-one. I was both nervous and thrilled (exhilarated?), because I knew this would be a unique experience, probably be the only time in my life when I would be in a new place with no where to stay and no friends, and no support network. It is a unique sort of aloneness, knowing it was a permanent move and I was starting over. Hard to describe. I moved into a motel and proceeded from there.

Likes Sophia and WIN
strangerep said:
Speaking of leaving (almost) everything behind, I did exactly that a few months ago. (But I did research things quite a bit before doing so.)

i see. where did you went to and what you did?

meBigGuy said:
At age 29 I packed up everything and went to a new city where I had visited a week before and found a job (after spending 6 months as a ski bum). I knew no-one. I was both nervous and thrilled (exhilarated?), because I knew this would be a unique experience, probably be the only time in my life when I would be in a new place with no where to stay and no friends, and no support network. It is a unique sort of aloneness, knowing it was a permanent move and I was starting over. Hard to describe. I moved into a motel and proceeded from there.

cool.. its take a big courage to do so =)

i did move to a new country(from SEA to Germany) for my engineering undergraduate under scholarship along with some other students. But not sure its as awesome as moving to a total new place to start a life though. Kinda always have the little dream back in the head to go somewhere new and start all over... as I am graduating soon as well. and there's always this little fear and nervous that follow behind the curiousity.

WIN said:

ever thought of this:

I can travel far to somewhere and live my own life but I have my relatives who care about me and who I should take care of. If I were them, I would be very sad to find out the one I care about was no longer in sight.
Also, I can't stay long in one place except my home. So I want to fly to all over the safe places around the world if I can.
If I have enough money, maybe I will travel to Czech to visit @Sophia :DD

My first teaching job was as the math teach in a very small high school on Washington state's Olympic Peninsula. The school was K-12, with about 140 students in grades 9 through 12. I didn't know anyone there.

Not quite the same as hopping on a plane and heading off to some island somewhere, but the location was fairly remote, with the nearest actual grocery store, bank, etc. 40 miles away.

I stayed there for two years, and went back to college for my masters' after that.

Silicon Waffle said:
I can travel far to somewhere and live my own life but I have my relatives who care about me and who I should take care of. If I were them, I would be very sad to find out the one I care about was no longer in sight.
Also, I can't stay long in one place except my home. So I want to fly to all over the safe places around the world if I can.
If I have enough money, maybe I will travel to Czech to visit @Sophia :DD
That would be fantastic! :-)
Maybe we'll start a PF couch surfing service :-)

WIN said:
and there's always this little fear and nervous that follow behind the curiousity.
Humans are designed to be connected socially, so abandoning that feels strange. But, you can do that with the confidence that you will adapt and make new connections, because that is how we are wired. That doesn't mean you truly forget about or abandon your old friends, just that you strike out on your own in a new environment and see what develops. Life might not give you another chance, so seize the moment with confidence when you have the opportunity and slightest inclination. I never regretted it. The loneliness of settling into a new environment is something you don't get to experience often.

I guess this is the first and most apt place to post this smilie:

:eynman:

CrazyNinja said:
I guess this is the first and most apt place to post this smilie:

:eynman:
Feynman couldn't have survived without female attention, and would have made sure there were women in a place to get to know before deciding to move far away...

WIN said:
i see. where did you went to
A very secure gated community in another state (but forgive me if I don't divulge the exact location).

and what you did?
Well, I was retired, and I sense that I'm at a much later stage of life than yourself.

Nevertheless, it's been both sad (leaving many years of my life behind), but also a relief (leaving many years of my life behind).

What really matters is what one can take away when one leaves a situation. Afaict, one can only take knowledge and $$$'s (assuming one has acquired some of the former, and/or made some of the latter). This, then, can be a guide for what to do next: what can one learn and what can one earn? :oldbiggrin:

Same place I live now...in my own mind...the commute is short

Likes Sophia
I always think of living in the U.S. I'm sick of where I am living now.

philton said:
I always think of living in the U.S. I'm sick of where I am living now.
Which is?