Ever want to be sick?

Can't say I'm envious of people with the flu. The upper resperatory symptoms I can handle. The fatigue and all that other stuff is really annoying though. I try to spend a few hours on Saturday chilling at home and watching TV anyway, so I get my lazy time in.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I find a temperature of 102 to be most agreeable.
Try 104 or 104.5F, which I managed to do a few years ago. I have very strange dreams, and soaked bedsheets in sweat.

My max temperature was 107 when I have measles as a kid.

Borek
Mentor
the worst part is where one goes AH, AAH, AAAH, then the sneeze dies no atishoo.
Look into the Sun.

Oh, wait, you are Brit. You don't have Sun. But any bright light will do.

I've been sick once in the past 8 or so years, and it was last year. Had the flu for a day. Slept something like 17 hours and downed a quart of orange juice. Felt great the next day.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Look into the Sun.

Oh, wait, you are Brit. You don't have Sun. But any bright light will do.
The trick I've heard is "think of a cow."

I've had mixed results with that.

turbo
Gold Member

Have you tried the "don't think of a banana" method? It's like trying to get an annoying song out of your head. The more you try, the more it is embedded.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo
Gold Member
There's a good book on this topic:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0898622239/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I read it for a social psych class.
Interesting. I had a problem with this suppression recently. For some reason, I decided to dig up a Sting video (looking for the music only, actually) of "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying" and the odd visuals embedded the music in my brain to the point where I was actively trying to concentrate on other music, and .... well, you get the idea. Hope you enjoy the video...

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek
Mentor

I am using bright light method with succes most of the time. I just have to look directly at the bigthest spot, so not at huge lamp, but just at bulb. Halogens are very good, they are small and bright.

russ_watters
Mentor
Sometimes I am envious of people who get the flu. I would love to be in bed a few days watching TV, no matter how crappy I would feel.

I remember one really awful job I worked at where a team member got appendicitis. No one sent him sympathy cards - we were all jealous as hell. It was that bad.
One of the best weekends I had last year was the 4-day weekend that my hernia surgery allowed me. I got to spend 4 straight days on my couch watching movies, only getting up to eat and pee. It was wonderful.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sounds lovely. Where can I get one of these hernias?

turbo
Gold Member
Sounds lovely. Where can I get one of these hernias?
Wanna help me move this engine block?

Edit: You could help me shovel that snow that is falling tonight, though I could have used some help taking care of all the crap that slid off my roof a couple of weeks ago......

Last edited: