Envious of Sick? Working in Awful Jobs is No Fun

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, people who get the flu are envious of others because they would love to be in bed watching TV, but they can't because they need to work. Sometimes, even when they are sick, they have to drag themselves in because the project is so important. A temperature of 102 is most agreeable.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sometimes I am envious of people who get the flu. I would love to be in bed a few days watching TV, no matter how crappy I would feel.

I remember one really awful job I worked at where a team member got appendicitis. No one sent him sympathy cards - we were all jealous as hell. It was that bad.

Physics news on Phys.org
No! The trick is to just say you are sick and lie in bed watching TV =-)

Likes gracy
dontdisturbmycircles said:
No! The trick is to just say you are sick and lie in bed watching TV =-)

But you don't want to use up those sick days because at some point you might really need them. And sometimes, even when you are sick, you have to drag yourself in anyway because the project is so freakin' mission critical it's like you are working in an E.R.

Math Is Hard said:
But you don't want to use up those sick days because at some point you might really need them. And sometimes, even when you are sick, you have to drag yourself in anyway because the project is so freakin' mission critical it's like you are working in an E.R.
What if you don't have sick days? In my freshman year in college I got mono and bronchitis back-to-back. My greatest comfort was my best friend (a leggy blond whose father was a professor at Harvard) who made me tea and held me. Eventually, it got so bad that I had to be hospitalized (dehydration, enlarged spleen, and other stuff), but it was really nice just to have somebody around who cared.

I find a temperature of 102 to be most agreeable.

Phrak said:
Not a good thing!

turbo-1 said:
What if you don't have sick days? In my freshman year in college I got mono and bronchitis back-to-back. My greatest comfort was my best friend (a leggy blond whose father was a professor at Harvard) who made me tea and held me. Eventually, it got so bad that I had to be hospitalized (dehydration, enlarged spleen, and other stuff), but it was really nice just to have somebody around who cared.

I forgot about the sympathy. That sounds good, too. I'll skip the enlarged spleen part.

Phrak said:

What I need is a custom illness. Maybe no fever - just sniffles and a sore throat. Mostly, I need to look sick so I'll get sympathy and have justification to stay in bed a few days. I need to catch up on People's Court.

Math Is Hard said:
What I need is a custom illness. Maybe no fever - just sniffles and a sore throat. Mostly, I need to look sick so I'll get sympathy and have justification to stay in bed a few days. I need to catch up on People's Court.
I wish. I'm feeling sick, but I need to work nonetheless. In fact, I'll be spending my evening preparing (another) presentation :cry:

If you had the real flu it would be more than a few days in bed.

Fever is awful! I prefer to work 24/7 but not feeling bad at all!

Monique said:
I wish. I'm feeling sick, but I need to work nonetheless. In fact, I'll be spending my evening preparing (another) presentation :cry:

That's a drag. The last time I gave a presentation I had allergies and my eyes were all swollen up and red. I looked like I had been crying. It was awful.

*pours hot blueberry tea into Monique's computer*

Kurdt said:
If you had the real flu it would be more than a few days in bed.

I think last time I had it I was knocked down for about 5 or 6 days. I got stuck for 3 hours between two Korean business men who were sick as dogs on a flight back from Houston. There was no escape.

Lisa! said:
Fever is awful! I prefer to work 24/7 but not feeling bad at all!

Don't you sleep?

I just recovered from an enjoyable cold, no headache or fever, just rocket powered sneezes,
the worst part is where one goes AH, AAH, AAAH, then the sneeze dies no atishoo.

wolram said:
I just recovered from an enjoyable cold, no headache or fever, just rocket powered sneezes,
the worst part is where one goes AH, AAH, AAAH, then the sneeze dies no atishoo.

I'll take that! Do you have any germs left?

*kisses Wolram*

:bugeye: You want the flu?!
Trust me, I wasn't watching television, during my flu last week. I just went to sleep since I had a fever on and off every few minutes.

Wolly, I hate it without the atishoo! Makes me feel so incomplete.

Flu sounds horrible christina, hope you are proper well now.

I never get medically sick i think the last was when i was a kid and had measles.

Math Is Hard said:
Don't you sleep?

Very little since I'm suffering insomnia. :rolleyes:

I had that nasty flu for a week last year. After they got the (12 hours of virtually non-stop) vomiting under control and made sure my pancreas was ok (just swollen) , it WAS actually nice to be at the hospital away from all "the guys" for a while (and they even had a touch of flu themselves, so no visiting even!).

But just two weeks ago, P (our oldest) had appendicitis.. and that was pretty scary. It happened during the Superbowl weekend, so the surgeons didn't come in and operate til the next morning... so it was found to have burst. Thankfully he's our trooper, unlike his younger brother. He got through surgery ok, had a week in the hospital, and then finished all his antibiotics at home last week and looks to be completely clear. Phew. He really didn't like being hospitalized though... he was all happiness for about 5 days after returning home.

Guess it's all a point of view.

Remind me to never get a life-threatening illness on Superbowl Sunday! :eek:

physics girl phd said:
But just two weeks ago, P (our oldest) had appendicitis.. and that was pretty scary. It happened during the Superbowl weekend, so the surgeons didn't come in and operate til the next morning... so it was found to have burst... .

If so, that's appalling. Or is it a conclusion based on casual observatios? Could it be that there was a valid reason that no emergency surgeon was avaible in time (overload)?

several years ago, i got pneumonia. i normally hate going to the doctor, and didn't really know i had pneumonia, just a chest cold, so put it off. that is, until i could keep my fever down and went to the emergency room. i passed out in the parking lot on the way to the door and got toted in by a couple of employees outside on smoke break. then it took a couple of months to get over the infection, and several more months to recover from the effects. that one nearly killed me at a relatively young age. i have no desire to get sick at all, now.

Andre said:
If so, that's appalling. Or is it a conclusion based on casual observatios? Could it be that there was a valid reason that no emergency surgeon was avaible in time (overload)?

It's highly suspicious. The one justification that I can think of is that P is special-needs... and there are some concerns about anesthesia for him (his weight and muscle tone are interesting, and he used to have breathing trouble)... so they may have wanted to wait for full-time, normal, experienced staff.

But I think really the situation is this... Hospitals in our small-to-mid-size city don't seem to want to do any form of operations on weekends at all, they want to stabilize you and wait til Monday; but I can't imagine Superbowl Sunday helped... there would be a particular reason to be hesistant about calling the "on-call" staff (yes, in a mid-size town in the South, of course the surgeons are all male!).

But P didn't stabilize... he got progressively worse through the evening and morning... even vomiting up blood from his irritated stomach lining... and still no movement to surgery til the surgery ward opened at 7AM... when he was first to go.

But all that matters now is it ended well. He's back to "eating it all" and begging for bus rides. No lasting damage (they still were also able to do it lacroscopically... apparently a good sign that there were no major complications, even though surgery went an hour longer than it had been predicted to us). Therefore we thankfully don't have to request all records, attempt to sue the hospital, etc.

Phew.

So yeah -- you don't want appendicitis. From what I hear (from normal adults), it still sucks.

Can't say I'm envious of people with the flu. The upper resperatory symptoms I can handle. The fatigue and all that other stuff is really annoying though. I try to spend a few hours on Saturday chilling at home and watching TV anyway, so I get my lazy time in.

Phrak said:
Try 104 or 104.5F, which I managed to do a few years ago. I have very strange dreams, and soaked bedsheets in sweat.

My max temperature was 107 when I have measles as a kid.

wolram said:

Look into the Sun.

Oh, wait, you are Brit. You don't have Sun. But any bright light will do.

I've been sick once in the past 8 or so years, and it was last year. Had the flu for a day. Slept something like 17 hours and downed a quart of orange juice. Felt great the next day.

Borek said:
Look into the Sun.

Oh, wait, you are Brit. You don't have Sun. But any bright light will do.

The trick I've heard is "think of a cow."

I've had mixed results with that.

Math Is Hard said:

Have you tried the "don't think of a banana" method? It's like trying to get an annoying song out of your head. The more you try, the more it is embedded.

turbo-1 said:
Have you tried the "don't think of a banana" method? It's like trying to get an annoying song out of your head. The more you try, the more it is embedded.

There's a good book on this topic:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0898622239/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I read it for a social psych class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
There's a good book on this topic:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0898622239/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I read it for a social psych class.
Interesting. I had a problem with this suppression recently. For some reason, I decided to dig up a Sting video (looking for the music only, actually) of "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying" and the odd visuals embedded the music in my brain to the point where I was actively trying to concentrate on other music, and ... well, you get the idea. Hope you enjoy the video...

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:

I am using bright light method with succes most of the time. I just have to look directly at the bigthest spot, so not at huge lamp, but just at bulb. Halogens are very good, they are small and bright.

Math Is Hard said:
Sometimes I am envious of people who get the flu. I would love to be in bed a few days watching TV, no matter how crappy I would feel.

I remember one really awful job I worked at where a team member got appendicitis. No one sent him sympathy cards - we were all jealous as hell. It was that bad.
One of the best weekends I had last year was the 4-day weekend that my hernia surgery allowed me. I got to spend 4 straight days on my couch watching movies, only getting up to eat and pee. It was wonderful.

<h2>1. What is the main argument of "Envious of Sick? Working in Awful Jobs is No Fun"?</h2><p>The main argument of "Envious of Sick? Working in Awful Jobs is No Fun" is that being envious of someone who is sick and unable to work is misguided, as working in a terrible job can also have negative effects on one's physical and mental well-being.</p><h2>2. What evidence does the article provide to support its argument?</h2><p>The article provides several examples of how working in awful jobs can lead to stress, anxiety, and even physical health issues. It also cites studies that show a correlation between job dissatisfaction and poor health outcomes.</p><h2>3. Does the article suggest that being sick is preferable to working in a terrible job?</h2><p>No, the article does not suggest that being sick is preferable. Rather, it argues that both situations have their own challenges and should not be compared or envied.</p><h2>4. How does the article address the societal pressure to work and be productive?</h2><p>The article acknowledges the societal pressure to work and be productive, but also emphasizes the importance of finding a job that brings fulfillment and does not negatively impact one's well-being. It also suggests that society should value and support individuals who are unable to work due to illness or disability.</p><h2>5. What is the overall message of the article?</h2><p>The overall message of the article is that both being sick and working in awful jobs can have negative effects on one's well-being, and neither should be glorified or envied. It advocates for a more balanced and understanding view of work and health in society.</p>

1. What is the main argument of "Envious of Sick? Working in Awful Jobs is No Fun"?

The main argument of "Envious of Sick? Working in Awful Jobs is No Fun" is that being envious of someone who is sick and unable to work is misguided, as working in a terrible job can also have negative effects on one's physical and mental well-being.

2. What evidence does the article provide to support its argument?

The article provides several examples of how working in awful jobs can lead to stress, anxiety, and even physical health issues. It also cites studies that show a correlation between job dissatisfaction and poor health outcomes.

3. Does the article suggest that being sick is preferable to working in a terrible job?

No, the article does not suggest that being sick is preferable. Rather, it argues that both situations have their own challenges and should not be compared or envied.

4. How does the article address the societal pressure to work and be productive?

The article acknowledges the societal pressure to work and be productive, but also emphasizes the importance of finding a job that brings fulfillment and does not negatively impact one's well-being. It also suggests that society should value and support individuals who are unable to work due to illness or disability.

5. What is the overall message of the article?

The overall message of the article is that both being sick and working in awful jobs can have negative effects on one's well-being, and neither should be glorified or envied. It advocates for a more balanced and understanding view of work and health in society.