Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ever wish the ground would just swallow you up?

1. Apr 24, 2004 #1

jimmy p

Gold Member

Ever been in a cringeworthy situation where you wish the ground would swallow you up?? Tell all!!

I'll go first..

Ok, i have a friend from Hong Kong, and we had this ongoing joke that everything that came from Hong Kong/China/Japan was real dodgy, especially cos he used to go to Hong Kong and bring back some REALLY sketchy things. (one of his favourite lines was "cheap Chinese crap!!!" when things didnt work!)

Anyway, he used to work in a sandwich shop, and one day i went to pop in and see him, and there was this queue of people. While my friend was serving a customer his till stopped working and he said "why wont this damn thing work?!" and at which point I noticed the till had "CASIO" written on the side....you can guess what's coming next... I said "that is because it is cheap Japanese crap". The looks i got from the people in the queue were looks of pure evil, and the mutters werent too pleasant either. I was SO embarrassed, but my friend got a good laugh at me because of it.

(on the plus side, i cleared the queue pretty quickly!)

ok, your turn!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2004 #2
    A couple of days ago I had a semi-embarassing moment. No one part of it was really bad, but the small things added up. I was standing in line at a gas station and when I pulled out my wallet I dropped it on the floor. I bent over to pick it up and smacked my head on the counter took a step back and knocked a box of jolly ranchers off the shelf all over the floor and when I bent over to pick them up I smacked my head again.

When days start out like this I usually go back to bed.

another good one is when I called my new girlfriend by my old girlfriend's name.

4. Apr 24, 2004 #3
    Oh! I almost forgot! You want to talk about embarassing listen to this one.
    About 10 years ago when I was still in college I was working the graveyard shift and going to class in the morning. I had a very boring chemistry class first thing in the morning and I was always falling asleep in there. You know that feeling you get like you are falling as you begin to fall asleep? I was sitting there nodding off, then all of a sudden I got that feeling and my whole body twitched. My arm shot forward and the pen in my hand flew out and hit the girl sitting in front of me in the back of the head.

5. Apr 24, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

LOL all three of those made me chuckle...the first one mostly... OK everyone else, dont be shy, own up to your misdemeanours.

6. Apr 25, 2004 #5
    Oh here's another one. I know this one guy who started a thread on physics forums that he thought everyone would love. then when no one really seemed to think it was any good he started begging people to start posting to it.

7. Apr 25, 2004 #6
    haha..Welcome back tribdog!!

8. Apr 25, 2004 #7
    Actually this is a pretty good idea for a topic. I just thought of another one. I love super glue. The stuff is amazing. If you know how to use it and don't use too much you can fix anything. I don't like the minitoothpaste containers it comes in though. It always seems to leak after you've used it for a while. And the strange thing is you can't feel super glue if it's at room temperature when you get it on your skin, unless you touch something that is. So you can probably see what's coming. I was glueing something together- don't remember what- and I stopped to go to the restroom-big mistake.
    My left hand was glued to my Levi's and two fingers and a thumb on my right hand were glued to my penis. Left hand came free no problem. Thumb and index finger also came off without too much pain. Middle finger was extremely glued. I had to climb into a tub of hot water (with my shirt on I couldn't take it off) and soak for about half an hour gently trying to remove my finger from my crotch.
    edit: forgot to say why it was so embarassing. My brother walked into the bathroom and saw me sitting in the tub. He told everyone in the house and I had to explain what I was doing to my family. "Yes, mom. I'm okay. NO I don't need any help. Just stay out. No I'm not on drugs. Stay out!"

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  9. Apr 25, 2004 #8
    I farted in church once. Farts reverberate off wooden pews.
    Once during a test in high school I sneezed and blew a big loogie into my hands. I got up to go to the bathroom to wash my hands and the teacher asked where I was going and I had to explain the problem in front of the whole class.

10. Apr 25, 2004 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I was sitting in a very elegant restaurant one evening, we had been to a concert and I was wearing a gown that was cut almost to the waist in the front and was almost backless. Not too much keeping it on my shoulders. Well, I leaned over a bit and the dress slipped off my left shoulder and exposed my entire left front down to the waist.

Luckily we were seated in a corner niche, I don't think anyone saw it. But I was terribly embarrassed. I should have used some of Tribdog's super glue. :tongue:

Tribdog, you are a riot!!!

11. Apr 25, 2004 #10
    Evo, I really don't understand the logistics of your story. Could you please recreate it, photograph it, and put the images somewhere I can get access to them? I'm sure this will help me understand more clearly.

12. Apr 25, 2004 #11
    You guys are a RIOT!!!

(1) Said the f-word in front of a minister when I dropped my Bible.
    (2) Trying to be friendly, I assured a woman I met that she didn't look a day over 50, after mis-hearing her say she was sixty-eight. Turns out she was 38.
    (3) Got flustered the other day and took off to my physics test without all clothing...when I realized I had forgotten something, I got so embarrassed that I started laughing hysterically. Prof asked me what the heck my problem was...I don't think up lies very easily, so I stupidly said I had forgotten my panties. I just wanted to fall over dead. Then he dryly remarked I had two different shoes on, too. So then I started crying. STRESS!

13. Apr 25, 2004 #12

jimmy p

Gold Member

this is fun, I like hearing people embarrass themselves. When i was about 10, i poured paint all over my principal's new shoes... that was pretty embarrassing. What else, oh yeah when i was about 8, i was sitting behind this girl I liked and my friends were taking the piss outta me because of it, and my glasses steamed up. And everyone in my class laughed at me. :( Now i dont wear glasses......

14. Apr 25, 2004 #13
    I was on the same corner with this girl at work whom I have a crush on, then all of a sudden I smelled something funky from her direction. I didn't bring it up. She must be dying inside already.

15. Apr 26, 2004 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

LOL... I remember going up to collect an award and falling over in front of EVERYONE while on my way up there... :frown:

16. Oct 10, 2004 #15
    When was this? Granted I am what 8 years younger than you and I don't remember much before AZ. I'll have to ask Dan.

I have one for you. Can't remember if Tribdog (don't know if you want your real name floating around here or not) was there or not but, once while school clothes shopping in Reno I, being young and fascinated by the patterns made by the tile in the floor, was adamant about only stepping on the dark tiles. Needless to say I was engrossed in my persuit of excellence and didn't see the large plate glass window approaching at an awfully high rate of speed (for an 8 year old). The window won. I even had customers come from inside the store to check out the poor kid with the bruised head.

Speaking of bruised heads, have any of you ever gotten a large suction cup and stuck it to your forehead so you could pretend you were a robot and it was your joystick? No? They tend to leave a nice hickey that is pretty hard to cover up even with moms makeup.

Mike

P.S. Before anyone asks, yes, tribdog is my older brother.

17. Oct 10, 2004 #16

Evo

OMG!!!!!!!! There is more than one of you???? :biggrin:

(Bows to tribdog's younger brother)

WOW. :bugeye:

TELL US MORE!!!!!!

18. Oct 10, 2004 #17
    Actually there are 3 of us. Watch out. :surprised But feel lucky myself and the middle brother don't know a whole lot about physics. We don't have quite the intellectual abilities of Trib. I am more of the electronics type. Couldn't ever bring myself to reading Quantum Physics books for fun like someone we all know.
    I will get with the family and try to get some good dirt for you all because since Trib is 8 years older I wasn't privy to a lot of the good stuff. I'm sure you will be hearing from me shortly.

Mike

19. Oct 10, 2004 #18

Evo

I can't wait!!!! :biggrin:

I hope we get to know you better too. :smile:

20. Oct 10, 2004 #19
    I'm sure you will.
    BTW I am the better looking of the bunch :biggrin:
    Mike

21. Oct 11, 2004 #20

Tsu

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?