1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Every finite domain is a division ring

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    I am taking a first course in algebra and I am having issues with a detail in this proof that every finite domain is a division ring.

The argument that I used is that (because of cancellation in domains) left & right multiplication by a nonzero element r in a domain R gives a bijection from R to rR and R to Rr, respectively.

Since rR and Rr are contained in R, we must have rR = R = Rr. If I knew that 1 was in R at this point I would be done since I could argue that each element has a right and left inverse in R.

But, I don't know how to prove that 1 is in R, so all I can say is that for each pair of elements r and x, there are elements a and b such that ra = x and br = x.

Choosing x = r, for each r, there are elements such that ra = r and br = r. This seems potentially useful in showing that 1 is in R but I cannot complete the proof!

Any help at all is greatly appreciated. :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook