Every now and then I see a reference to PF version 2

• Thread starter hypnagogue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary, PF2 became PF3 because of Server Obselecence and lack of funds. PF1 was a glorious beginning, and PF3 is the end of an era. There is still time for the members to create music like the music in PF2, but it is not yet possible.
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Every now and then I see a reference to PF version 2... I'm a relative newbie here, so was just wondering if anyone could fill me in on what PF 2 was, why it became PF 3, and why (apparently) all the data on PF 2 was lost? Not to mention PF 1. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Aye... Sit down and I shall tell thee a story of yore, of foul demons and heroic knights, of a land lost but remembered. Aye... what fine days those were... (excuse the poetic license)

What is now known at PF is but the third age of many. All under the same name dwelt once PF v1, and PFv2... Through many months there was peace, and the citizens of PF carried with their daily work, and religion forum arguments. But foul evils were abroad, and then before the tide of darkness were carried tales of terror, of Server Obselecence and Lack of Funds. And Greg called upon his horn, and gathered a host of warriors, giants amongst men. With their aid, the evil was defeated. But the old age was past, and a new one emerged in the ashes, borne upon a new, speedier server. But will that evil return? Who knows..

Harken! for I have heard tales, though shrouded in mist and fog, of a bane to this foul demon. And though few have spoken the words, I whisper them now, so heed me well forsakers, for time is but swift, and the foul beast lurks yonder in the fortress Bankrupt Dur- plotting his return.

the words are "paypal for donations"

:wink:

And there was Greg, the One, who is also known as administrator. And he made first the PF, being PF-1, which was the offspring of his thought…and some were with him before ought else was made. But for a long while they sang only each alone or but few together while the rest harkened. Yet ever as they listened they came to deeper understanding and increased in unison and harmony. And it came to pass that Greg called all together and declared to them a mighty theme unfolding, of things greater, more costly, and more wonderful than he had yet revealed. And the glory of PF-1’s beginning and the splendor of PF-2’s end amazed the members such that they bowed their heads, extended arms laden with offerings, and were silent. Then, Greg said to them; of the theme of PF-3 that I have declared to you I Will now that you make in harmony together a great music, and in the knowledge with a flame imperishable ye shall show forth your powers in adorning this theme each with his own thoughts and devices. And a sound arose of endless interchanging melodies woven in harmony that passed beyond hearing into the depths and into the heights and the music and the echo of the music went out into the void, and it was not void…
Never since the theme of PF-3 have the members made any music like to this music though it has been said that a greater still shall be made by the choirs of the members after the end of days…then the themes shall be played aright and take being in the moment of their utterance. For then all shall understand fully his intent and their part, and each shall know the comprehension of each and to their thoughts will be given the secret fire…

Sound familiar?

I wish I could post a sound byte here to let you all know just how hard I was laughing reading through this.

I'm still wiping tears away.

lol

Incase you didn't figure it out, pfv2 was the last forum before the upgrade.

lol

Fine woihk lads !
Originally posted by Zantra
Harken! for I have heard tales, though shrouded in mist and fog, of a bane to this foul demon. And though few have spoken the words, I whisper them now, so heed me well forsakers, for time is but swift, and the foul beast lurks yonder in the fortress Bankrupt Dur- plotting his return.

the words are "paypal for donations"

:wink:
Do not worry mate ! There is still time for us to prepare
the horses and sharpen our swords. Then we will fight the
cover of darkness brought by the evil 3 headed server owners
with the green scrolls of universal magic and satisfy their
eternal hunger using the everpresent and all powerful $hwartz.

hyp, PF 2 is availible on CD you can ask Greg about it if
you're intersted. PF 3 was "born" at the end of March
earlier this year (or was it the beginning of April ?).

BH, were you a member of PF1 ?! I joined PF2 14 months ago
and I believe you joined later, didn't you ?

Peace and long life.

but of the many paths we follow in life

we know not where any may path may end. And as we wind our way through the peaks and valleys of truth and splendor, and as we ponder the many mysteries of the great unknown, in passing one might recall that lonely voice from the night. He then might ask himself: Who was that unmasked alien? For long ago he warped into the aether, and he was never heard from again.

1. What is PF version 2?

PF version 2 is the second version of the popular open-source firewall software known as Packet Filter or PF. It is used to filter and manage network traffic on Unix-like operating systems.

2. What are the main differences between PF version 1 and version 2?

The main differences between PF version 1 and version 2 include improved performance, scalability, and support for new features such as IPv6 and stateful failover. Version 2 also has a redesigned configuration syntax and includes bug fixes and security updates.

3. Is PF version 2 compatible with older configurations?

Yes, PF version 2 is compatible with older configurations from version 1. However, some syntax changes may be required for certain rules and features. It is recommended to consult the PF version 2 documentation for more details.

4. How can I upgrade to PF version 2?

The process of upgrading to PF version 2 may vary depending on your operating system and current version of PF. Generally, it involves installing the new version and converting your old configuration files to the new syntax. It is recommended to carefully review the documentation and perform a test upgrade before making any changes in a production environment.

5. Is PF version 2 still actively supported?

Yes, PF version 2 is still actively supported and regularly receives updates and bug fixes. The latest version as of January 2021 is 2.4.5. It is recommended to regularly check for updates and upgrade to the latest version to ensure optimal performance and security.