Can every open subset of R be written as a countable union of open intervals?

• Thread starter Buri
  • Start date
In summary: It's closed under addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division (since it's the set of all infinite subsets of the set of all real numbers), and it's also closed under the operations of inclusion and exclusion. So its description as a union of disjoint open intervals is non-trivial.
Buri
I'm currently reading Real Analysis by Stein and Sharkarchi and they state the following theorem:

Every open subset O of R can be written uniquely as as a countable union of disjoint open intervals.

They prove it and I understand the proof. I was just playing around with open sets, but it seems like there's no punch to it, so to speak. If I take (0,1) the 'countable union of disjoint open intervals' is the set itself and if I take the union of two open intervals then again its the set itself. I guess the open set would have to be something weird to be more interesting. Is there maybe any more interesting examples of an open set being written as a countable union of disjoint open intervals?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the complement of [tex]\{0\}\cup\{1/n~\vert~n\in \mathbb{N}\}[/tex], but that's also trivially a union of open intervals. But it's more interesting...

Or take the complement of the Cantor set...

I think you're looking for an example of an open subset of R whose description as a union of disjoint open intervals is non-trivial. How about this: Define the set F by

[tex]F = \{\frac{1}{p^n} : p\ is\ a\ prime\ and\ n \in \mathbb{N}\} \cup \{0\}[/tex]

Then F is closed (since it contains its only limit point 0), so R - F is open. However, it seems to me that writing R - F as a union of disjoint open intervals is complicated.

Thanks to both of you! For some reason I hadn't thought of taking closed sets and looking at their compliments. So thanks!

Just to clarify my definition of the set F: p is supposed to run over the entire set of primes, not a single fixed value. Also, the complement of the Cantor set is an excellent example.

1. What is an open subset of R?

An open subset of R is a subset of the real numbers that does not contain its boundary points. In other words, for any point in an open subset, there exists a small enough interval around that point that is entirely contained within the subset.

2. What is the difference between open and closed subsets of R?

The main difference between open and closed subsets of R is that open subsets do not contain their boundary points, while closed subsets do. In other words, for any point in a closed subset, there exists a small enough interval around that point that contains both points within the subset and points outside the subset.

3. How do you determine if a subset of R is open?

To determine if a subset of R is open, you can use the definition of an open subset mentioned in the first question. This means checking if for every point in the subset, there exists a small enough interval around that point that is entirely contained within the subset.

4. Can every subset of R be classified as either open or closed?

Yes, every subset of R can be classified as either open or closed. This is because the concepts of open and closed subsets are mutually exclusive and cover all possible subsets of R.

5. What are some common examples of open subsets of R?

Some common examples of open subsets of R include open intervals, open rays, and open sets in topology. For example, the set (0,1) (all real numbers between 0 and 1, not including 0 and 1) is an open subset of R.