Everyone say hi to my good friend Red Rum

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, Red Rum is a funny microbiologist who is the best friend of Evo and the second best friend of Evo's imaginary friend, Evo. He is from the Netherlands, and is the most famous horse in the country.
Red Rum said:
Evo, I don't think the rest of the forum has seen that photo. And now they think you're talking to yourself about something you sent yourself.
They're used to that by now. :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Red Rum, welcome to the forums!
Or is it too late for a GOOBF card? :cry:

Evo said:
They're used to that by now.
Oh yeah, self-talking, self-gifting, imaginary friends, we've seen it all :biggrin:

arunbg said:
Not too late <sticks GOOBF card into arunbg's computer>

And another GOOBF card for starting the Food Thread. It's in the GD Classics.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=752487&postcount=45

Oh yeah, self-talking, self-gifting, imaginary friends, we've seen it all :biggrin:
:redface: I lead a dull life.

Red Rum, your posts make me hungry.

And I've just had supper.

Evo said:
They're used to that by now. :tongue:

Most definitely. :rolleyes:

arunbg said:

What's a GOOBF card?

radou said:
Red Rum, your posts make me hungry.

And I've just had supper.

Most definitely. :rolleyes:

What's a GOOBF card?
Get Out Of Banning Free!

Red Rum said:
Indeed. I instigated a hygiene inspection before entering the establishment in question. The food was interesting. Very hot and spicey and served on a very large and spongy pancake. The chicken breast was still attached to the bones, which made for interesting eating. The beer was a diappointment because while it's supposed to be Angolan (Monzonga, I believe) it is in fact brewed in Belgium and tastes like a typical strong, top-fermented Belgian beer. There was a second organic and fair trade beer that tasted the same but weaker. The company for whom I work still has a brewery in Angola (I believe we're the only one that stayed open during the civil war) and knowing the conditions prevalent there, I wouldn't recommend Angolan beer anyway...no offence intended to any Angolans on the forum. Mine was poured into a coconut shell.
Sounds pretty good. I wouldn't mind a typical Belgian beer either, though am wondering if it tastes and better or worse in a coconut shell? I've only had frozen, tropical drinks in coconut shells (the sort that get served with cute little paper umbrellas in them).

What type of cuisine was it supposed to be? I ate at an Ethiopian restaurant where the food was similarly served. That was years ago, but I recall my thought when the restaurant was recommended was just what sort of cuisine would be considered Ethiopian, since at the time, all you heard about in the news was the famine in Ethiopia.

I once worked in a dairy plant where the employees piled their food on just such a pancake and all chowed down together at lunchtime. Everything went smoothely until some of the brothers realized that there was an extra mouth participating at the feast who hadn't contributed anything. I'm guessing that it wasn't the first occasion that this indiidual has perpetrated such an activity because after the ensuing melee one guy was left dead on the canteen floor. Now that made for an interesting afterdinner conversation. Had to hire another forklift driver as well.
:bugeye: I was kind of hoping it would be one of the dairy cattle who was helping herself to the food and killed, not the forklift driver!

Evo said:
I want the animals in that restaurant window. :!)

Red Rum said:
Evo, I don't think the rest of the forum has seen that photo. And now they think you're talking to yourself about something you sent yourself. But glad you liked it.

OK, I don't which of you got assigned to monitor Evo's meds this week, but you need to make sure she's actually swallowing the pill, and not just hiding it under her tongue and then spitting it out later. :grumpy:

Math Is Hard said:
OK, I don't which of you got assigned to monitor Evo's meds this week, but you need to make sure she's actually swallowing the pill, and not just hiding it under her tongue and then spitting it out later. :grumpy:

:redface: Sorry. I'll try hiding it in a piece of chocolate next time.

Moonbear said:
:redface: Sorry. I'll try hiding it in a piece of chocolate next time.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

MB, I was thinking the same thing about how the meal sounded like Ethiopian cuisine. I had it years ago, but I remember that instead of stuff getting piled onto the spongey pancake, we tore off portions of the pancake and used it to pick up the food. I found it very challenging, because most of the entrees were the consistency of soupy lentils! I have heard we have a Little Ethiopia area somewhere in L.A. so I am hoping to go try the food again.

The food was Eritrean..

Meds, I'm on meds now? :uhh: What about my friends, they'll still be here, right?

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8576/myfriendsms0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these your pen-friends? :tongue:

radou said:
Are these your pen-friends? :tongue:
Yes, they are. :approve:

The food was Eritrean (Is there an echo in here?)
Which I believe is almost identical to Ethiopian
It was served on a pancake with additional pancakes on the side to pick up the food. And the consistency was pretty much as described above. I wouldn't say it was a totally authentic reproduction. The coffeee was excellent though. I should have brought my camera and photographed the way it was served. the filter was basically some dort of dried straw stuffed into the spout. One of my friends unkindly suggested it was probably ox hair (He was more specific about the bodily part of the ox from which it originated). Inevitably, while pouring, it fell out of the spout and into my coffee cup, imparting an additional novel and possibly unique flavour component.

In general I like Belgian beers because they offer more variety to the standard pilsener, but the phenolic flavour means there's a limit to how much I'm willing to consume. And their use of huge amounts of adjunct tends to induce hangover before the consumer has had a chance to get properly inebriated. And I'm not a fan of lambic and geuse beers because I believe that cheesey (like butyric and iso-valeric acid),vinegar, rancid and lactic flavours just don't belong in beer.
Am I being pedantic?

I worked with a lot of Eritreans when I was in Saudi and I noticed they joined the company looking like marathon runners but after a few months of eating bread and drinking laban (their food was included in their contracts) I had to make them start playing soccer in the evenings to keep them fit enough to work in the plant. At the time Eritrea was still part of Ethiopia and there was a civil war in progress, so most of them were also asylum seekers and many had fought in the war. One guy had children scattered across several European countries in foster homes until the war was over. I had a few Sudanese working for me as well who were also fleeing a civil war. And they all got on just great together.
As for the poor forklift driver, well the incident happened in another of our processing plants that I was only visiting so I don't know what the outcome of the subsequent inquest was but I'm pretty confident the conclusion would have been death by misadventure.

Oh hey, there you are!

I don't know how to respond to your posts...

I like Ethiopian food. My brother used to live in Washington DC right down the street from three great Ethiopian restaurants.

Once, on a climb, about seven of us (my partner & I, a group of four, and this solo guy) combined whatever food we had, and shared a big banquet, and the solo guy who donated a single packet of ramen, ate nearly all of my avocado (which I had carried for six days, an absolute delicacy after a week on the trail). We didn't exactly kill this guy, but we left him all alone at 10,000 feet. He arrived solo, so he can finish solo, we thought. Before we left, I tried to find a snickers bar in his pack, but he had nothing. So I put a big rock in his side pouch.

I want to thank Red Rum for the picture he sent me of him artificially inseminating a cow. I don't know if I have enough wine here to get that picture out of my mind. That's one loooong glove you've got on there. :bugeye:

And white sneakers? You're standing in mud and lord knows what else and your sneakers are spotless.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I want to thank Red Rum for the picture he sent me of him artificially inseminating a cow. I don't know if I have enough wine here to get that picture out of my mind. That's one loooong glove you've got on there. :bugeye:
What I find really amusing is that EVERYONE who has EVER taken an AI certification course comes back with a photo of them with their hand up a cow's butt (that's not the actual artificial inseminating, just the part where you palpate the ovaries to see if they are ready to ovulate yet). It's as if every one has the same thought, "Nobody will ever believe me if I told them I did this if I don't have someone take a picture." :rofl:

And white sneakers? You're standing in mud and lord knows what else and your sneakers are spotless.
That's impressive. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
What I find really amusing is that EVERYONE who has EVER taken an AI certification course comes back with a photo of them with their hand up a cow's butt (that's not the actual artificial inseminating, just the part where you palpate the ovaries to see if they are ready to ovulate yet). It's as if every one has the same thought, "Nobody will ever believe me if I told them I did this if I don't have someone take a picture." :rofl:

Quite correct, Moonbear. I was only helping out with AI on my day off. The AI team consisted mainly of Thais, supervised by a county Cork man who'd just left a farm in China and was appropriately name Tim Lee. I wasn't allowed leave the farm without a letter of permission to travel from my sponsor, so I spent a lot of my spare time (when I wasn't crying) learning about various aspects of dairy farming. We had 4,000 cows, so there was plenty of opportunity. Made me think I should become a vet in my next career.

Ai

I'm sure the AI team used to select cows that were on the verge of exploding any second with a view to getting me completely covered in cow ****e, but I always managed to effect my egress in a timely fashion.

Chi Meson said:
Oh hey, there you are!

Once, on a climb, about seven of us (my partner & I, a group of four, and this solo guy) combined whatever food we had, and shared a big banquet, and the solo guy who donated a single packet of ramen, ate nearly all of my avocado (which I had carried for six days, an absolute delicacy after a week on the trail). We didn't exactly kill this guy, but we left him all alone at 10,000 feet. He arrived solo, so he can finish solo, we thought. Before we left, I tried to find a snickers bar in his pack, but he had nothing. So I put a big rock in his side pouch.

Nice one, Chi. Not sure I approve of the rock. I find the old pebble in the boot trick to be much more personally satisfying

Chi Meson said:
and the solo guy who donated a single packet of ramen, ate nearly all of my avocado (which I had carried for six days, an absolute delicacy after a week on the trail). We didn't exactly kill this guy, but we left him all alone at 10,000 feet. He arrived solo, so he can finish solo, we thought. Before we left, I tried to find a snickers bar in his pack, but he had nothing. So I put a big rock in his side pouch.

:rofl: Vengeance was yours. :devil:

Btw, I wonder how AI-ing two cows at the same time would look like. That would make even a greater picture, and probably a superior postcard.

Edit: oh, I almost forgot. One probably needs the other hand to grab a handle or something to prevent getting lost in the cow's interior.

radou said:
:
Btw, I wonder how AI-ing two cows at the same time would look like. That would make even a greater picture, and probably a superior postcard.

Edit: oh, I almost forgot. One probably needs the other hand to grab a handle or something to prevent getting lost in the cow's interior.

I guess if you stood the two cows back to back rather than side by side, but god help you if they both choose to explode simultaneously .

Red Rum said:
I guess if you stood the two cows back to back rather than side by side, but god help you if they both choose to explode simultaneously .

I'm trying to picture that, and it looks pretty interesting.

Wouldn't mind if these were Milka-cows, though. :biggrin:

http://www.kraftfoods.com.ua/kraft/images/uauk1/pictures/3.1_milka_cow.jpg

Red Rum is pretty funny. I was laughing quite a bit.

Welcome to PF!

radou said:

I just had an idea for some novelty oven mitts.

Math Is Hard said:

Why, does the cow have lasagna or some other delicious dish inside at a high temperature?

radou said:
Why, does the cow have lasagna or some other delicious dish inside at a high temperature?
You mean you didn't know?

Evo said:

Is this something along the lines of a "bun in the oven"?

Evo said:

Why, yeees, of course I knew. o:) :tongue2:

Red Rum said:
Is this something along the lines of a "bun in the oven"?

Buns?

This thread makes me hungry. Constantly.

Math Is Hard said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good thing I didn't start eating dinner yet...I'd have been laughing food out my nose! Oh, the image! :rofl:

<sigh> Indiana (Red Rum) Jones is vacationing in the jungles of Brazil. :frown: If he doesn't get a blow dart through the neck, I will get a post card, if he makes it out alive, which makes me happy. My last postcard from him was from Russia. :smile:

Last edited:
Evo said:
<sigh> Indiana (Red Rum) Jones is vacationing in the jungles of Brazil. :frown: If he doesn't get a blow dart through the neck, I will get a post card, if he makes it out alive, which makes me happy. My last postcard from him was from Russia. :smile:

Wow! Sounds like my kind of life!:cool: