Can a Butcher Accurately Measure Fat Content in Ground Meat?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, determining the fat content of ground meat to within a percentage point involves measuring and following specific protocols, as outlined in documents such as 9 CFR 319.15(a) and MCO 10110.15C. This information can be found on the USDA and military websites.
Loren Booda
How does a butcher determine the fat content of ground meat to within a percentage point?

Biology news on Phys.org
They http://www.hobartcorp.com/assets/specsheets/F-7514.pdf , of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've whet my appetite with food for thought, but where's the beef?

On page 2, of course.

'twould that all scientifically-minded questions were so easy to answer...

How do they measure the large-scale curvature of the universe?
How do they determine how many physical dimensions there are?

A farmer was asked at his road-side stand how he could sell rabbit-meat sandwiches for only $1 each, and the farmer admitted that he used a bit of horse-meat to "extend" the rabbit-meat. When pressed, he admitted that the horse-meat to rabbit-meat ratio was about 50:50. When he was asked how he measured that ratio, the answer was "one horse, one rabbit".

Wow... I thought the information would be easy to find. It's not.

The USDA website was not particularly helpful, but I did locate a reference to '9 CFR 319.15(a)' which covers allowable fat content in ground meat. I could not find the actual document, nor could I find any documentation on how fat content is to be determined, nor the allowable variability.

Oops- here it is:

http://cfr.vlex.com/source/1058

Seriously, the first response had it. It's measured. If you want more details, you can always count on the military to have specific protocols.
http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO%2010110.15C.pdf

I feel better knowing that a good majority of its fat is rendered when I cook 80% lean ground beef.:tongue:

What is "Everything but the gobble"?

"Everything but the gobble" is a phrase commonly used in scientific research to refer to all aspects of a study or experiment, except for the main or most important factor or variable being studied.

Why is it important to consider "everything but the gobble" in scientific research?

Considering "everything but the gobble" allows scientists to identify and control for potential confounding variables that may influence the results of their study. This helps ensure that the observed effects are truly due to the main variable being studied and not other factors.

How do scientists determine which factors to include in "everything but the gobble"?

Scientists use their knowledge of the topic and previous research to identify potential confounding variables that could influence their results. They also conduct pilot studies or use statistical techniques to determine which factors are most likely to have an impact on the outcome.

Are there any limitations to the concept of "everything but the gobble" in scientific research?

Yes, there are limitations to this concept as it is impossible to control for every single factor that may influence the results of a study. Additionally, the definition of what constitutes the "gobble" or main variable may vary among researchers, leading to different interpretations of what should be included in "everything but the gobble".

Can "everything but the gobble" be applied to all scientific studies?

Yes, the concept of "everything but the gobble" can be applied to most scientific studies, regardless of the field or topic. It is a useful approach for controlling for potential confounding variables and ensuring the validity of research findings.