Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Everything Can Kill You

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This thread is motivated by this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=515565

We have a lot of discussion in this forum about things that might kill you (cell phones are popular right now). To help illustrate the fallacy for the thread above, this thread is dedicated to finding out if there is anything that can't kill you. Because as we all know, everything from knives to iPods to TV to cute little kittens can kill you (and as every cat owner knows, kittens will kill you on purpose!) My position is that everything can kill you. So hit me: try to find something that can't kill you.

Rules: "Things" means physical objects. I don't want to get into a pseudophilosophical argument about whether or not "love" or "music" can kill you.

So have at it!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2
    Gelatin nailed to a tree?

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3

Evo

I can't think of anything that can't kill you.

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4

Evo

What if you try to eat it and choke to death on it?

6. Jul 20, 2011 #5
    Then it wouldn't be nailed to a tree.

7. Jul 20, 2011 #6

Evo

Some people claim that smelling underarm deodorant will kill them from yards away.

Of course there is no evidence that a "smell" can do you any harm. There would actually be a need for a certain amount of a substance to enter your bloodstream. Anything else is imaginary, there is no scientific support for it. Of course imaginary fears can kill people.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. Jul 20, 2011 #7

russ_watters

You can't nail gelatin to a tree. Again, no psuedophilosophical arguments about whether imaginary things can kill you.

Caveat: Trying to nail gelatin to a tree could cause puncture wounds and tetanus, both of which can kill you.

9. Jul 20, 2011 #8
    any physical object can kill you, amass enough of it and you can suffocate on it

10. Jul 20, 2011 #9

S_Happens

Gold Member

Some things you'd certainly have to get creative with.

I wonder if anyone has ever choked on a lifesaver candy. Barring making it a projectile, I can't come up with anything. I'm not familiar enough with diabetes (or lifesavers actually) to know if that small candy could cause a problem.

I've got a lot of spare cardboard pieces/small boxes from recent packages. There's not enough to crush or suffocate anyone. Maybe if one of the pieces made it's way to a tiled area like the kitchen it could pose a slipping hazard...

11. Jul 20, 2011 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Love can kill you, ever so slowly.

Peanut butter can't kill you. It is absolutely perfect in every way and the only side effect from large consumption is extreme happiness.

I win.

12. Jul 20, 2011 #11
    Cats can kill you

13. Jul 20, 2011 #12
    I just tested this, results were conclusive with Pengwuino's argument. The paper will be published in the next issue of Nature.:approve:

14. Jul 20, 2011 #13

chiro

Science Advisor

One of the fundamental notions in toxicology is that its the amount of whatever that can kill you (i.e. the dose). Even water fits into this category.

15. Jul 20, 2011 #14

disregardthat

Science Advisor

As we know, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, so we can reduce this search to what actually makes you stronger. Since we are talking about physical objects, we can always lift them to increase muscle strength, and that would make us stronger.

Conclusion: nothing can kill you, only make you stronger. This amazing feat of logic will put an end to the crazy claims of crazy scientists.

16. Jul 20, 2011 #15
    A puff of argon, blown on my left foot.

17. Jul 21, 2011 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

18. Jul 21, 2011 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neutrino flux.

19. Jul 21, 2011 #18
    well, i'd sort of agree with minute outgassing from random products, but then you run into something like a toxic FEMA trailer, and suddenly being locked up fairly tight in an aluminum can with formaldehyde and whatnot from insulation and such... and you've got a problem.

i suspect that guy would maybe get some peace of mind from a simple activated charcoal air filter. it's a good general purpose adsorbent for small molecules. that is, assuming he's in a goldfish bowl and not some drafty shack.

now, my diet mt dew is chock full of benzoates and brominated veggie oil. but still, we love mt dew...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmCh_0AsEyk

20. Jul 21, 2011 #19
    A life-support chamber?

21. Jul 21, 2011 #20

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hey, you only get to name the object, not specify it's manner of confinement or the means by which you come into contact with it. Otherwise "vial of poison, locked away in a vault where it can never touch me" would qualify.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook