What elements make for a compelling and addictive novel?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, if you were to write a book, you would include strong character development, an engaging writing style, and a topic that you are passionate about.
Loren Booda
If you were to write a book, what basic elements would you include in it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fiction or non-fiction?

lisab said:
Fiction or non-fiction?

At your leisure.

Fiction:

I prefer novels/stories with strong character development. I think it's difficult to have an engaging plot without interesting, developed, and believable characters. It is not impossible, though. Ambrose Bierce's "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" is a good example of a story with an interesting plot and not much character development at all.

Non-fiction:

Accuracy and voice are the most important elements to me in this category. I would assume accuracy is a given, but I think it is easy to leave your voice/personality out of the piece. Depending on the topic of the novel/story, the factual accounts do not have to be dry and humorless. Put your voice into the piece and do not omit emotion.

Have any of you successfully published (not self-published) a book?

Are you looking for information to write a book yourself Loren? If so there are several online resources available including forums where you can ask questions and get advice from published writers.

As for my own personal opinion on fiction I have a bit of a taste for style over substance. An engaging writing style is necessary to a good book. Several famous authors have made a living off of writing a story that anyone could have written but in such an evocative manner that it stands out and makes it a worthwhile read. I hate (exaggerating) Dan Brown but I still made it all the way through four of his novels. He has a certain something about his writing that allows you to tear through a book, hating every second of the terrible plot, without noticing just how engaged you are.

Stat,

Indeed, I have read few novels (seeming to have "selective dyslexia"), but "The DaVinci Code" had chapters of just the right (short) length - representative of our "Sesame Street" generation. Each chapter presented a corny element of suspense, whose denouement would be found in reading "just" one more. I think Dan Brown cleverly pits mathematics against religion, and vice versa, addictive for the modern proponents of either.

I had considered writing a book of science fiction which projects from real physics. Of course, that's pretty much what my website attempts. I looked into a local writer's group, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

I published some poetry in a university literary magazine. Poetry, with (e.g.) its meter, rhyme, alliteration and metaphor can be much like an equation. I also enjoy meditating on caption contests like that here at PF.

1. What is "Everything from A to Z"?

"Everything from A to Z" is a phrase that is commonly used to refer to a comprehensive or complete collection of things or information, covering all aspects or topics from start to finish.

2. How is "Everything from A to Z" relevant in science?

In science, "Everything from A to Z" can refer to the vast range of topics, theories, and discoveries that have been studied and explored. It highlights the breadth and depth of scientific knowledge and the continuous pursuit of understanding the world around us.

3. Can "Everything from A to Z" ever be fully known or understood?

As science is constantly evolving and expanding, it is unlikely that "Everything from A to Z" can ever be fully known or understood. There will always be new discoveries and advancements that add to our understanding of the world and universe.

4. How can one study "Everything from A to Z" in an organized way?

To study "Everything from A to Z" in an organized way, one can follow a systematic approach such as the scientific method. This involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions and advance knowledge in a particular field.

5. What are some examples of topics that fall under "Everything from A to Z" in science?

Examples of topics that fall under "Everything from A to Z" in science include biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, geology, ecology, genetics, and many more. Each of these fields covers a vast range of subtopics and concepts, making up the vast landscape of scientific knowledge.