Everything in a given environment have the same temperature

• Thread starter quasi426
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary: I was thinking that the metal would be colder because of the lack of contact with your skin. Thanks for your help.
quasi426
Does everything in a given environment have the same temperature. For example does everything inside a refridgerator have the same temperature like a cup of water and a block of steel and a plastic cup. (say the setting of the fridge is at 5 C degrees, if a thermometer is placed on all these items, will they all yield a 5 C degree temperature reading.) Of course assuming these items have been in the environment for a long time and the environment is using energy to maintain this constant temperature.

Science news on Phys.org
The temperature does not depend on the type of material.
But, how cold something at a low temperature feels if you touch it depends on more than temperature. The coldness sensation also depends on the heat conductivity and the specific heat capacity of the material.. So steel at 5 C will feel colder than plastic at 5 C, because the heat flow into your hand is faster.

I have an answer already formed in my head but I don't want to give it away.

Why don't you consider the system by which the fridge regulates its temperature - the thermostat etc, and if the doors are completely air tight, and if the fridge won't radiate or absorb heat etc.

NS

The answer is yes, they all have the same temperature if you wait
for everything to reach equilibrium- for an ideal fridge.

This will never happen in a real refridgerator for all the things you cited.

Last edited:
Meir Achuz said:
But, how cold something at a low temperature feels if you touch it depends on more than temperature. The coldness sensation also depends on the heat conductivity and the specific heat capacity of the material.. So steel at 5 C will feel colder than plastic at 5 C, because the heat flow into your hand is faster.

This is exactly what I was thinking. We feel heat conductivity and not temperature. Thanks. Does anyone have a biological reference?

An additional factor in human feeling of heat/cold is that whether something feels hot or cold depends in part on what a finger, for exampe, has touched previously. The standard experiment is to place a finger of one hand into a cup of hot water and the a finger of the other hand into a cup of cold water. Then place both fingers into a cup of luke warm water. The finger that was in hot water will feel cold while the finger that was in cold water will feel hot.

quasi426 said:
This is exactly what I was thinking. We feel heat conductivity and not temperature. Thanks. Does anyone have a biological reference?
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but if you touch a piece of metal and a piece of wood, both at room temperature, the metal will feel cold and the wood will not. This is because our sense of touch/temperature depends more on heat transfer rate than it does on temperature itself.

reasonmclucus said:
An additional factor in human feeling of heat/cold is that whether something feels hot or cold depends in part on what a finger, for exampe, has touched previously.
Quite correct. The brain adjusts its sensory inputs over a period of time. An old bar trick, for example, is to secretly pinch an ice cube between your thumb and forefinger for a while, and then bet someone that you can hold a lit cigarette by the ember without flinching. As long as you restrict it to a few seconds, you won't feel the heat and it won't cause a burn.
Another thing that seems counter-intuitive at first is that frostbite and a burn are essentially the same injury and feel the same. Somebody like Moonbear would be best to follow up on this.

Meir Achuz said:

Hmmm ... I am thinking it's the other way around. Metal, due to free electrons, conducts heat better than plastic. So heat will flow from your hand into the steal at a greater rate than it will from your hand to to the plastic.

russ_watters said:
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but if you touch a piece of metal and a piece of wood, both at room temperature, the metal will feel cold and the wood will not. This is because our sense of touch/temperature depends more on heat transfer rate than it does on temperature itself.

Yeah that is what I was saying. But I guess I said heat conductivity instead of heat transfer because they are similar.

ddesai said:
Hmmm ... I am thinking it's the other way around. Metal, due to free electrons, conducts heat better than plastic. So heat will flow from your hand into the steal at a greater rate than it will from your hand to to the plastic.

Thank you. I did mean heat flow out of your hand.
Heat flow into your hand would be why hot metal in burns your hand, while wood doesn't.

Final comment-

If your hand is 92 degrees then a 92 degree piece of wood and steel will feel
the same. I've tried it.

I've noticed that sometimes when one has a fever, they may not be able to tell how bad of a temperature increase they have incurred when one feels their own forehead as opposed to someone else feeling it.

1. What is the significance of everything having the same temperature in an environment?

When everything in a given environment has the same temperature, it means that the energy distribution within that environment is balanced. This can help to regulate the climate and maintain a stable living environment for organisms.

2. How does the temperature of an environment affect living organisms?

The temperature of an environment can greatly impact the survival and behavior of living organisms. Extreme temperatures can be harmful or even fatal to some species, while others have adapted to thrive in specific temperature ranges.

3. What factors can contribute to a consistent temperature within an environment?

Several factors can influence the temperature within an environment, including sunlight, humidity, air circulation, and the presence of bodies of water or landforms. These factors work together to create a balance and maintain a consistent temperature.

4. Can the temperature of an environment change over time?

Yes, the temperature of an environment can change over time due to natural processes such as climate change or human activities like deforestation and pollution. These changes can greatly impact the balance and stability of the environment.

5. How do scientists measure and monitor the temperature of an environment?

Scientists use various tools and techniques to measure and monitor the temperature of an environment. This can include thermometers, satellites, weather stations, and computer models. By continuously monitoring temperature changes, scientists can better understand how an environment is affected by various factors over time.