How do atoms create life and everything else in the universe?

• Thread starter renigade666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, the conversation discusses the perplexing concept of how simple atoms can combine to create complex living organisms. The analogy of a computer program and building blocks is used to illustrate how this is possible. The lack of understanding in chemistry may contribute to this confusion, but the concept of arrangement is highlighted as the key factor in creating complex systems. The idea of human reasoning is also briefly mentioned in this context.
renigade666
Hello,

I’ve looked over the other forums, and thought that this would be the best place for this.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while and it has been very confusing.

If atoms are the building block of matter, therefore everything is made up of atoms, how is it that atoms could create live, breathing, reproducing organisms?

What I’m trying to get at, (if anyone else is on the same level of thinking as me) is it just me or is it hard to imagine that these simplistic atoms, when joined together in a certain order, can create anything and everything in the universe? :bugeye:

It just might be due the lack of my chemistry education, but this is quite puzzling to me.

Anyone help me out please? (providing you understand what I'm trying to ask here)
Thank you,
Ren

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to wonder how simple building blocks can combine to form complex systems. Consider a computer program: just 1s and 0s. Combining these differently can produce a word processor, or an audio clip, or a game, all very different results from the same 1 and 0 components. Consider bricks. Combine them differently to form either a school of a driveway. Complex systems such as living systems are what they are not because they are made up of different elements but because these elements are arranged differently.

To be fair... a computer program does not have 'reasoning' (I believe that's the word I am looking for) like humans do, no matter how sophisticated it is.

I look at humans and think how amazing it is to beable to live and breath these atoms, which sustains everything.

1. What are atoms?

Atoms are the basic building blocks of matter. They are extremely small particles that make up everything around us, from the air we breathe to the food we eat. Atoms are made up of a nucleus containing positively charged protons and neutral neutrons, surrounded by negatively charged electrons.

2. How many atoms are there in the world?

It is impossible to determine the exact number of atoms in the world because they are constantly moving and changing. However, it is estimated that there are around 1078 to 1082 atoms in the observable universe.

3. Can atoms be seen?

No, atoms cannot be seen with the naked eye as they are too small. The diameter of an atom ranges from 0.1 to 0.5 nanometers, which is about 100,000 times smaller than the width of a human hair. They can only be seen with the use of powerful microscopes.

4. How do atoms combine to form molecules?

Atoms combine with other atoms through chemical bonds to form molecules. These bonds are formed by the sharing, gaining, or losing of electrons between atoms. The type and strength of the bond determine the properties of the resulting molecule.

5. Are all atoms the same?

No, there are different types of atoms known as elements. Each element has a unique number of protons in its nucleus, which determines its chemical properties. There are currently 118 known elements, with hydrogen being the lightest and uranium being the heaviest.