What is the maximum distance a promotor can be from a gene in higher eukaryotes?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, it is difficult to define a promoter in higher eukaryotes due to the presence of non-coding DNA and regulatory elements. The transcription start site can be determined by isolating mRNA and observing how far upstream it goes. Promoters can be several kilobases long and can also exist downstream and within the gene. The 5' untranslated region (UTR) is important for transcription and contains regulatory elements. Identification of promoters is usually done through nested deletions, but the presence of enhancers and repressors can complicate the process.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone know how far upstream a promotor can go from a gene in higher eukaryotes??

It is very difficult to define a promotor (which contains regulatory elements for a gene), since it is all non-coding DNA with lots of 'junk' in it..

It is fairly easy to determine the transcription start site (TSS) at the 5'UTR, you just isolate mRNA's and look how far upstream they go, and that way determine the major initiation site..

anything upstream of that would be promotor and I guess that the regulatory elements with the most impact would be directly flanking this TSS?

Biology news on Phys.org
ummm...I am thinking several kilobases, but I am not entirely sure.

uh huh: Alberts, on page 400 says that they are known to be up to 50kb away.

I know that the identification of promoters is usually done be nested deletions. DO you know about them? They get the gene and its upstream/downstream region and cut out small sections of it, starting way upstream, working their way down. For each section they measure its rate of transcription. This way they identifiy what sections influence the transcription rate etc.

What is the 5'UTR? I've never heard of it. And how do you 'look upstream' from the mRNA's? Oh, do you mean that once u have the mRNA's, you can line the mRNA code up with the DNA code and then count 35 upstream on the DNA and find the TATA box etc...?

Regulatory elements can actually exist downstream and within the gene as well as upstream.

Originally posted by Another God
ummm...I am thinking several kilobases, but I am not entirely sure.

uh huh: Alberts, on page 400 says that they are known to be up to 50kb away.
Whoohoo! That is a long bit to analyze, isn't it?? [:P] right now I am focussing on a 500 bp bit and there are hundreds of transcription factor binding sites!

I know that the identification of promoters is usually done be nested deletions. DO you know about them? They get the gene and its upstream/downstream region and cut out small sections of it, starting way upstream, working their way down. For each section they measure its rate of transcription. This way they identifiy what sections influence the transcription rate etc.
That is correct, you can transform a cell line with pieces of promotor (of different sizes) and determine which piece of promotor is able to restore the original level of transcription (by luciferase assay for instance). The tricky part is that there are enhancers and repressors binding the the noncoding DNA, how do you take those into account if they are lying on different part of the promotor?

What is the 5'UTR? I've never heard of it.
That is the 5'Untranslated Region, transcription of a gene starts with an ATG right? That is the start codon, the place of the transcription start site. That DOESN'T mean that the protein start there, though. During translation the enzyme complex will bind to this 5' region, translation start usually 30 bp downstream. The 5'UTR is thus conserved after splicing, it is noncoding DNA, which usually contains sites for enhancers or repressors.

And how do you 'look upstream' from the mRNA's? Oh, do you mean that once u have the mRNA's, you can line the mRNA code up with the DNA code and then count 35 upstream on the DNA and find the TATA box etc...?
Well, you can look at a protein and determine the introns and exons on the DNA right? But how do you determine where the TSS (transcription start site) is, where the promotor ends and the 5'UTR starts? You isolate mRNA and you sequence them in 3'to 5'direction, where the sequence ends, that is where the TSS is.

Regulatory elements can actually exist downstream and within the gene as well as upstream.
Yes, I've also heard those can be in introns, but mainly upstream, since that is where the enzyme complexes bind.

1. What are promoters?

Promoters are specific DNA sequences located upstream of a gene that serve as binding sites for transcription factors. They are responsible for initiating the process of gene expression by recruiting RNA polymerase, which is essential for creating the mRNA transcript of the gene.

2. How do promoters work?

Promoters work by interacting with transcription factors and RNA polymerase to initiate transcription. Transcription factors bind to specific sequences within the promoter region, helping to recruit RNA polymerase to the site. Once RNA polymerase is bound, it can begin the process of transcribing the gene into mRNA.

3. What is the function of promoters?

The main function of promoters is to regulate gene expression by controlling the rate at which a gene is transcribed into mRNA. They also play a role in determining the specific tissues or cell types in which a gene will be expressed.

4. Are all promoters the same?

No, not all promoters are the same. Different genes have different promoter sequences, and this can affect the efficiency of transcription and the level of gene expression. Additionally, different types of promoters may be activated by different transcription factors, allowing for further regulation of gene expression.

5. Can promoters be mutated?

Yes, promoters can be mutated. Mutations in promoter sequences can affect their ability to bind to transcription factors and regulate gene expression. These mutations can lead to changes in the amount or timing of gene expression, which can have significant impacts on an organism's development and function.