Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Everything's soO pretty!

1. Jan 28, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Today we got our first real snow this winter! I opened the door to the garden and through the gloomy light I could see everything covered with a crisp layer of fresh snow..

It was so beautiful!! The sun was just coming up when I was sitting in the train and everything had this blueish white undisturbed cover, it was just like a postcard picture I just came home (9 pm ) and the ride back was just as pretty

Ain't life beautiful? Those little pleasures.. I know, you people in the States must be very annoyed with the snow and cold temperatures

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love snow. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, when I want snow, I drive a couple of hours to Lake Tahoe. When I'm tired of it, I drive home. It's nice.

- Warren

4. Jan 28, 2004 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm usually quite comfortable with snow, ice, and "cold" temperatures, but these last two years have been downright silly!

I guess I'm kinda just used to it I guess; the thing I think is really pretty (though dangerous) is when all the trees get that ice covering. Doesn't happen very often, though.

5. Jan 28, 2004 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Coming from the young man who's body has turned into that of a 96 year old's as a result of shoveling and scraping over the last 3 days:

Winter can bite my ass.

6. Jan 28, 2004 #5
    Yea we in the UK just got our first real snow for years, but it looks like most of it will be gone by morning.

I went driving after the snow shower had finished and the roads where soo slippery it was unbeleivable. Then we found a nice car park to play about in, havnet had that much fun in ages. Jimmyp enjoyed it too, i think.

7. Jan 28, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

oh MAN that was fun!! yeah i bet those people WERE cheering us on as well...oh yeah, and that cute blonde girl DID want me!!

8. Jan 28, 2004 #7
    Doesn't snow where Im at, except that one time in 1977. Im not real sure I could acclimate to a cold climate though, Im cold in 55 degree Fahrenheit weather, and its bone-chilling to me when its around 45-48.

9. Jan 28, 2004 #8
    It never snows here. :frown:

I really enjoy cold temperature. In school, teachers and friends always ask me "are you not cold?" as I don't wear more than 2 long sleeves clothes and I don't wear a jacket even if it is a cold day (around 10 degrees celcius), while they usually wear more than 5 clothes + think jackets in such a low temperature . I'm sure if you guys come over here, you probably won't think of the word "cold".

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  10. Jan 29, 2004 #9
    Coming from the tropics, you can imagine how jealous I am of all of you. I am envious of even KL! The temperature here is a boiling 30 degrees celsius with a real feel of around 40 degrees celsius the whole year round because of the humidity. I would kill for cooler temperatures!

11. Jan 29, 2004 #10
    Then you should come to Norway, Monique! Here the snow is around 30 cm thick. Glimmering crispy surface and there snows tiny snowcrystals all day. The temperature reached 17 degrees last week. Now it is around 6-7.

12. Jan 29, 2004 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

it rained today and now everything is slush!

13. Jan 29, 2004 #12
    We had no rain in Southampton, but alot of ice, most of it thawed but there is still quite abit of patchy ice around. Keeps the drivers on their toes.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2004
  14. Jan 29, 2004 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

keeps their toes on their brake pedals. lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?