Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evidence against Gauss's Law?

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1

taylaron

Gold Member

I've stumbled upon a website that claims that he has created a hollow spherical electromagnet that could contain plasma.
    http://justodians.org/SphericalMagnet/PatentApp.htm
    I dont know the credibility of his claims but I would appreciate an analysis of his "invention". Does this device disprove Gauss's law: that the field inside a closed loop is zero? Or is there a mono-directional field (in relation to the center) that increases in strength as it becomes further away from the exact center of the sphere?

Regards- Tay

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I didn't spend much time reading it. The key phrases are "this invention is given freely to all people", and the fact that he says he filed the patent application in 2004. That means it was rejected.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3

taylaron

Gold Member

That could very well be; but just because it was supposedly rejected, doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work. I admit it could be complete garbage.
    But theoretically, could the device work? Is the theory sound enough? Although I suppose that is different from my original question. I think I solved my original question (answer is no) because the flux in the center of the "ball" would be zero and there would be surrounding that point.

-Tay

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook