Evidence for a finite universe

In summary, there was hope that the WMAP findings would provide evidence for a finite universe, but the data only showed an error bar for the parameter Omega-sub-naught which could indicate a finite or infinite universe. Further discussion on the topic can be found in the "Poll: How do you picture expanding space?" thread.
Eh
A short while back, there was talk that the WMAP findings would help cosmologists finds evidence to support the notion of a finite universe. Since finding duplicate images of the same galaxies at several locations in the sky is so difficult, it was hoped that data from WMAP may also provide evidence for such a finite universe. I recall reading something very brief in regards to these findings, but have since lost the link. Has anything come out of this?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Eh
A short while back, there was talk that the WMAP findings would help cosmologists finds evidence to support the notion of a finite universe. Since finding duplicate images of the same galaxies at several locations in the sky is so difficult, it was hoped that data from WMAP may also provide evidence for such a finite universe. I recall reading something very brief in regards to these findings, but have since lost the link. Has anything come out of this?

I just posted a link to WMAP report by Bennet et al
on the "Poll: How do you picture expanding space?" thread.

WMAP data has an error bar on a parameter Omega-sub-naught which if it is 1 or less the universe is infinite and if it is strictly greater than 1 the universe is finite

the error bar goes from 1.00 to 1.04

for more on that see my post on the other thread

Oh, specifically I meant a finite, flat multiply connected universe.

1. What is the evidence for a finite universe?

The most compelling evidence for a finite universe comes from the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a relic of the Big Bang. This radiation is found to be nearly uniform in all directions, indicating that the universe is finite and has a finite age.

2. How does the expansion of the universe support the idea of a finite universe?

The expansion of the universe, as supported by evidence from the redshift of distant objects, suggests that the universe is expanding from a single point, indicating a beginning to the universe. This supports the idea of a finite universe with a specific starting point.

3. Can the concept of a finite universe be proven through mathematical equations?

Yes, the concept of a finite universe can be mathematically proven through various equations, such as the Friedmann equations and the Hubble law. These equations show that the expansion of the universe is finite and has a starting point, supporting the idea of a finite universe.

4. Are there any other scientific observations that support the idea of a finite universe?

Yes, there are several other scientific observations that support the idea of a finite universe. These include the observation of the large-scale structure of the universe, the abundance of light elements, and the rate of expansion of the universe, all of which point towards a finite universe with a beginning.

5. How does the concept of a finite universe fit with the theory of general relativity?

The concept of a finite universe is consistent with the theory of general relativity. In fact, Einstein's equations of general relativity predict a finite, expanding universe, which has been confirmed by various observations. This further supports the idea of a finite universe with a specific starting point.