Evidence for spatial variantion of the fine structure constant

In summary, Webb et al's article presents evidence for spatial variation of the fine structure constant, with the existence of a direction where it is the smallest and the opposite direction where it is the largest. This finding is still controversial and has not been confirmed independently. The possibility of the direction of our group of galaxies affecting the constant is also discussed, but the implications are uncertain.
exponent137
Webb et al wrote article "Evidence for spatial variantion of the fine structure constant".
http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.3907.
As I understand there exists direction where fine structure constant is the smallest and the opposite direction, where it is the largest.

Do maybe these directions have and meaning, maybe direction of our group of galaxies?
Regards

Astronomy news on Phys.org
exponent137 said:
Webb et al wrote article "Evidence for spatial variantion of the fine structure constant".
http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.3907.
As I understand there exists direction where fine structure constant is the smallest and the opposite direction, where it is the largest.

Do maybe these directions have and meaning, maybe direction of our group of galaxies?
Regards

The findings are still a bit controversial I think, as far as I know they haven't been confirmed independantly.

There was one measurements, which shows that alpha is constant. But, afterward Webb showed that that their measurements are wrong. Anyway, let as assume that Webb's measurements are correct. Is it possible that this is consequence of this, that, for instance, our group of galaxies travel direction of "dipole"?

I don't see how that would affect the alpha constant.

I also do not see, how precisely. But there is many possibilities for disturbing such precise measurements.

It is not a sin to see what this direction means in universe. Maybe nothing, maybe something.

Last edited:

1. What is the fine structure constant?

The fine structure constant, also known as the Sommerfeld constant, is a dimensionless physical constant that describes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles.

2. Why is there evidence for spatial variation of the fine structure constant?

There have been multiple studies that have observed small variations in the fine structure constant when looking at different regions of the universe. This suggests that the constant may not be as constant as previously thought and could be influenced by the environment it is measured in.

3. How is the fine structure constant measured?

The fine structure constant is measured through precise experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy, which involves studying the light emitted or absorbed by atoms. The value of the constant is then derived from these measurements and compared to theoretical predictions.

4. What implications does spatial variation of the fine structure constant have?

If the fine structure constant is found to vary in different regions of the universe, it could challenge our understanding of fundamental physics and the laws of nature. It could also provide insights into the conditions of the early universe and the possibility of multiple universes.

5. What evidence supports the idea of spatial variation of the fine structure constant?

Several studies have found evidence for spatial variation of the fine structure constant, including observations of light from distant quasars, analysis of the cosmic microwave background, and measurements of atomic spectra from different parts of the universe. However, more research and evidence is needed to confirm this phenomenon.