Evidence of God: Is it Under Our Noses?

• Thread starter Iacchus32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evidence
In summary: And so the real issue becomes, at what point does a fact become knowable?It's interesting to ponder this question, as it seems that a fact can either be known by all or it can be known by only a select few. It's a matter of speculation, really, and it's up to the individual to decide what they believe.What if there was a fact that only "one" person knew about, nor do I mean a fact specific to that one person, but a general fact that affected everyone? Does this mean the fact is unknowable or, not ascertainable by anyone else? Should it? If one person can ascertain it, then chances are others can ascertain it as well.
Iacchus32
Now there are a great many things in this Universe that we don't know about. But that does not mean they don't exist. There are "factual things" which we do know, and there are "factual things" which we don't know. Which is to say, a fact remains a fact, irregardless.

And yet it's entirely possible for one person or, perhaps a whole group of people (due to the "fact" we're all part of the human condition -- this is the key here :wink:), to ascertain a certain fact (or facts) that others are incapable of. And so the real issue becomes, at what point does a fact become knowable?

Indeed, it would be much easier if it could be accepted uniformly and by everyone. Then there would be no point to disagree. But what if there was a fact that only "one" person knew about, nor do I mean a fact specific to that one person, but a general fact that affected everyone? Does this mean the fact is unknowable or, not ascertainable by anyone else? Should it? If one person can ascertain it, then chances are others can ascertain it as well.

And yet what if it were one of those things which are not readily ascertainable, say like the notion of God? Of course this is probably why it's not widely accepted by everyone -- or, in the case of many who have accepted it, they may have accepted it "blindly" -- but should that have any bearing on whether or not God exists? Should it? The fact is, He either exists or He doesn't exist.

If this is the case, and God does exist, then there should also be "characteristic evidence" to support it. Or how else could you identify it? And yet the problem is, that unless you make the discovery yourself, being that it's not readily ascertained, you may not be able to associate the evidence with the facts. Although it's still evidence! In which case you may have all the evidence in the world -- which I suggest we do if we're speaking about God by the way -- but, unless one is able to make the association, nothing is going to happen.

So what does it mean? Especially when one person presents the evidence and another charges that there is no evidence, when it's really a matter of not being able to make the association? Hmm ... Is it anybody's fault really? I wouldn't think so. So why all the accusations then? Could it be because it has something to do with the notion of God, where the evidence could very well be right under our noses? ... Now that is a distinct possibility! :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Especially when one person presents the evidence and another charges that there is no evidence, when it's really a matter of not being able to make the association? Hmm ... Is it anybody's fault really?

Thats a good question. What exactly are we associating this evidence with? We have no clue. How can we possibly make the association, when we've only got 1 part of the equation?

Honestly, short of God himself coming to us and saying "I'm god, check me out and all my omnipotence" I don't think there is much in the way of evidence.

I couldn't deny gods existence, but more so point out that there has been thousands of gods explained away by science, or just a better understanding of nature. As you said, there are things in the universe that we do not yet know of. Honestly, until we truly understand what a God would want from us, I think it would be premature of us, and insulting to him, to worship him in some form that does not exist.

I mean face it, when it gets down to it, you just don't know. You may have reasoned out that god exist, simply by saying he has to in order for things to be, or have manipulated the numbers of an ancient text to reflect your wishes, but honestly, you just don't know. I don't know, nobody knows.

And a saying I've like is "Any decision based on ignorance is usually wrong"

Of course some things in life you just have to guess at. But what is the difference between a persons guess and evidence?

alot.

Originally posted by Iacchus32
Now there are a great many things in this Universe that we don't know about. But that does not mean they don't exist. There are "factual things" which we do know, and there are "factual things" which we don't know. Which is to say, a fact remains a fact, irregardless.
Invisible pink unicorns come to mind.

And yet it's entirely possible for one person or, perhaps a whole group of people…to ascertain a certain fact (or facts) that others are incapable of.
Yes, for instance, it is a fact that it doesn’t matter whether invisible pink unicorns actually exist or not, for we will foot-slog our way through this life just the same. This is certainly true for me, so I don’t want to be blamed if someone finds they are simply incapable of ascertaining the facts…

And so the real issue becomes, at what point does a fact become knowable?
If what you are saying is ‘acknowledged by all’ (instead of knowable), then in that case I would say: When we all see the unicorn.

…The fact is, He either exists or He doesn't exist.
There is another fact; ‘we’ don’t know the answer.

So what does it mean?
It means you will have to make up your mind for yourself, and I hope you will allow me to do the same.

…Especially when one person presents the evidence and another charges that there is no evidence, when it's really a matter of not being able to make the association?
What association?...that someone else makes an assertion, they cannot be wrong, and therefore I should simply believe whatever they do?

… Hmm ... Is it anybody's fault really? I wouldn't think so.
Could it possibly be God’s fault?
Nah, couldn’t be.

So why all the accusations then?
What accusations, that your word isn’t good enough for me?
That isn’t an accusation, that’s a fact.

Could it be because it has something to do with the notion of God, where the evidence could very well be right under our noses?
Could be anything, that’s the problem.

... Now that is a distinct possibility! :wink:
How about an extinct possibility!
At any rate, possibilities aren’t enough cause to get me excited, sorry.

Originally posted by megashawn
Thats a good question. What exactly are we associating this evidence with? We have no clue. How can we possibly make the association, when we've only got 1 part of the equation?

Honestly, short of God himself coming to us and saying "I'm god, check me out and all my omnipotence" I don't think there is much in the way of evidence.
Of course if God really does exist, then we might want to consider the fact that "we" are the evidence, and that this is the only way we'll really be able to solve the puzzle. In other words by having it communicated to us on a "personal level." :wink:

Neither am I saying it's necessary for God to make a cameo appearance by the way!

Originally posted by BoulderHead
Invisible pink unicorns come to mind.
If such things do exist, then yes it becomes a fact. Of course a lot of that might depend on the definition as well.

Yes, for instance, it is a fact that it doesn’t matter whether invisible pink unicorns actually exist or not, for we will foot-slog our way through this life just the same. This is certainly true for me, so I don’t want to be blamed if someone finds they are simply incapable of ascertaining the facts…
This is where I bring up the notion of a specific fact versus a general fact, which affects all of us.

If what you are saying is ‘acknowledged by all’ (instead of knowable), then in that case I would say: When we all see the unicorn.
No, but isn't a fact knowable when at least one person can acknowledge it?

There is another fact; ‘we’ don’t know the answer.
Then that means there must be at least two of you. :wink:

It means you will have to make up your mind for yourself, and I hope you will allow me to do the same.
If science has a right to its own opinion, and enforce it in a way that it's going to affect me directly, then yeah, I have a right to voice my opinion.

What association?...that someone else makes an assertion, they cannot be wrong, and therefore I should simply believe whatever they do?
People make assertions all the time, right or wrong.

Could it possibly be God’s fault?
Nah, couldn’t be.
Who's that? Well just don't go pointing your finger at me, Okay?

What accusations, that your word isn’t good enough for me?
That isn’t an accusation, that’s a fact.
What you're telling me is you don't like to be told what to do (or how to think). Who does?

Could be anything, that’s the problem.
Or, it could even be the air that we breath.

How about an extinct possibility!
At any rate, possibilities aren’t enough cause to get me excited, sorry.
Actualy I'm more into probabilities myself. :wink:

Person A has an extrordinary ex-
perience that person B has never
had.

Person A reports the experience to
B.

B finds it impossible to believe.

Person A is miffed.

Person A accuses B of being closed
minded.

Is B actually closed minded or
merely inexperienced?

This is where I bring up the notion of a specific fact versus a general fact, which affects all of us.
Well bring ‘em on and I’ll ascertain them.

No, but isn't a fact knowable when at least one person can acknowledge it?
You tell me because there are, after all, insane people living in this world who believe all sorts of things to be fact.

Then that means there must be at least two of you. :wink:
‘We’ means simply you and me. You might know something but if I don’t know it too, than We do not know it.

If science has a right to its own opinion, and enforce it in a way that it's going to affect me directly, then yeah, I have a right to voice my opinion.
Is this the old persecution complex I smell?
Science doesn’t have an opinion, people do. Anyway, is ‘science’ affecting you so negatively that you must complain?

People make assertions all the time, right or wrong.
Yeah, and some of them might be scientists. Who cares?

Or, it could even be the air that we breath.
Like I said, that’s the problem.

Actualy I'm more into probabilities myself. :wink:
Me too, but only when I subjectively deem them to be >0.$hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Person A has an extrordinary ex-
perience that person B has never
had.

Person A reports the experience to
B.

B finds it impossible to believe.

Person A is miffed.

Person A accuses B of being closed
minded.

Is B actually closed minded or
merely inexperienced?
Or, person A is not miffed, but person B insists that person A is full of crap, in order to try to get person A really miffed, and then continue to blame the whole thing on person A. In which case was it "right" for person A to bring it up in the first place?

Neither does this discount the possibility that person B just doesn't understand.

Last edited:
Neither does this discount the possibility that person B just doesn't understand.
Or person A either.

Well bring ‘em on and I’ll ascertain them.
I doubt it, besides that's not the point of this thread anyway.

You tell me because there are, after all, insane people living in this world who believe all sorts of things to be fact.
Well, I suppose it is possible to imagine things. :wink:

‘We’ means simply you and me. You might know something but if I don’t know it too, than We do not know it.
Except that "we" doesn't have to imply "you and me."

Science doesn’t have an opinion, people do. Anyway, is ‘science’ affecting you so negatively that you must complain?
Sure it does, otherwise it wouldn't exercise it by publishing the results.

Then again maybe it's not science I have a problem with, but with what people do with the science that I have a problem with?

Yeah, and some of them might be scientists. Who cares?
Am I saying somebody has the right to assert their view over someone else's? No, not really.

Like I said, that’s the problem.
In what way?

Me too, but only when I subjectively deem them to be >0.$hit.
Are you trying to tell me something that I don't already know?

Or person A either.
But doesn't anybody know anything around here? Or, do we have to rely on Science for the answers? That's my whole point! :wink:

In which case was it "right" for person A to bring it up in the first place?

Here person A might start to
realize the problems inherent in
having had an extrordinary exper-
ience (knowledge of God, for
instance) that no one else of
his acquaintance has had.

How do you communicate it and be
taken seriously without being
able to cause B to experience the
same thing?

I doubt it, besides that's not the point of this thread anyway.
Well, I think you misunderstood what I was implying.
Well, I suppose it is possible to imagine things. :wink:
That is why you cannot simply take someone’s word, understand me?
Except that "we" doesn't have to imply "you and me."
You can run with it anyway you please but it was me who first said ‘we’ and it is me now explaining how I meant it to be understood.
BH-

Iacchus-
Sure it does, otherwise it wouldn't exercise it by publishing the results.
Well, I don’t believe that part about science having an opinion, but you on the other hand are certainly entitled to yours. In this case, and believing as I’m sure you do that we all have a right to an opinion, why should it bother you at all?
…Then again maybe it's not science I have a problem with, but with what people do with the science that I have a problem with?
Well then, you’ll have to make up your mind who or what to be upset with. Why not start a new post when you have it sorted out and tell me all about it?

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
How do you communicate it and be
taken seriously without being
able to cause B to experience the
same thing?
Basically you just learn not to expect a whole lot. :smile:

But doesn't anybody know anything around here? Or, do we have to rely on Science for the answers? That's my whole point! :wink:
Well correct me if I’m wrong but you seem to have some answers not provided by science don’t you?
[edit]
In fact, the majority of people on this planet would seem to be religious. Doesn’t that sound like people don’t have to rely on science to you?
[/edit]

Rephrase your question and I’ll give you a better answer.

Well, I think you misunderstood what I was implying.
It is possible. :wink:

That is why you cannot simply take someone’s word, understand me?
If I didn't say it, then I should have said at some point in this thread. I think it's there somewhere?

You can run with it anyway you please but it was me who first said ‘we’ and it is me now explaining how I meant it to be understood.
Yeah, but what gives you the right to lump me in with you? Comprender?

Well, I don’t believe that part about science having an opinion, but you on the other hand are certainly entitled to yours. In this case, and believing as I’m sure you do that we all have a right to an opinion, why should it bother you at all?
Sort of like ripples in a pond I guess? :wink:

Well then, you’ll have to make up your mind who or what to be upset with. Why not start a new post when you have it sorted out and tell me all about it?
Actually I never said I was incapable of getting upset, but when I do get upset I don't stay upset for very long. :smile:

Yeah, but what gives you the right to lump me in with you? Comprender?
The same thing that apparently allows you to do it with me;
...Or, do we have to rely on Science for the answers? That's my whole point!

Well correct me if I’m wrong but you seem to have some answers not provided by science don’t you?
[edit]
In fact, the majority of people on this planet would seem to be religious. Doesn’t that sound like people don’t have to rely on science to you?
[/edit]

Rephrase your question and I’ll give you a better answer.
Was a rhetorical question. Doesn't require an answer. In which case we don't have to answer back.

Do you know what, there's something about your ideology that seems well suited for twisting everything that I say into something that was never implied -- which, I really don't care for. Got it! ...

You see this is another trick and it's called subversion.

Was a rhetorical question. Doesn't require an answer. In which case we don't have to answer back.
*suggestion*
Stop wasting time with rhetoric.

Do you know what, there's something about your ideology that seems well suited for twisting everything that I say into something that was never implied -- which, I really don't care for. Got it!
My ideology?
Really, I thought you were the one doing the twisting, not me. At any rate, it is a fact that the author of a statement has a responsibility to make his/her thoughts as well written and coherent as possible, so don’t shuck that responsibility off on the reader. As I was attempting to touch on, you changed your gripe from science to what people do with science. I am merely trying to find out what your actual argument is so I can respond accordingly, that is all.

*suggestion*
Stop wasting time with rhetoric.
Listen, I made a perfectly valid point. If you don't want to accept it for I'm trying to say that's fine. And if I say we, it doesn't necessarily include you, Okay?

My ideology?
Really, I thought you were the one doing the twisting, not me. At any rate, it is a fact that the author of a statement has a responsibility to make his/her thoughts as well written and coherent as possible, so don’t shuck that responsibility off on the reader. As I was attempting to touch on, you changed your gripe from science to what people do with science. I am merely trying to find out what your actual argument is so I can respond accordingly, that is all.
I'm not going to argue with you okay?

Listen, I made a perfectly valid point. If you don't want to accept it for I'm trying to say that's fine. And if I say we, it doesn't necessarily include you, Okay?
Whatever you say.
I'm not going to argue with you okay?
Again, I’m asking you to state your point (aka: argument), not get involved in a shouting match with me. I have tried to address your points in a very up front and direct manner. The facts are, in imho, that you already know the answers to your questions but simply don’t like them. Let’s rehash something;
But doesn't anybody know anything around here? Or, do we have to rely on Science for the answers? That's my whole point!
So, if that is the whole point then it should be quite apparent what the answer is. There are in fact people on this very forum who do not rely on science for the answers, and there are people who do. The answer to your question depends on who you ask, plain and simple.
Science doesn’t have all the answers that people seek, nor is it likely discover them anytime soon. That does not mean, however, that the answers can be found by some other method either. So, in the end it is up to the individual to arrive at their own conclusions, and because no two people are the same there will not be a consensus. What is true for you is true only for you and not necessarily me. It is pointless to ask who is right and who isn’t because this is not something given for us to know.

You are a free agent in this world, there is no reason I can think of(and you never enumerated any) why you should have a problem with science (or whatever it was you were talking about).

Whatever you say.

Again, I’m asking you to state your point (aka: argument), not get involved in a shouting match with me. I have tried to address your points in a very up front and direct manner. The facts are, in imho, that you already know the answers to your questions but simply don’t like them. Let’s rehash something;
The whole point of this thread -- which, I think zoobyshoe hit pretty close to home on -- is what is it like to have access to knowledge (as much as I don't like that word) beyond the everyday perception of things? And what exactly does that entail when trying to communicate it to others? Especially when it involves getting people to think beyond a convention such as science. Which, at least to zoobyshoe, megashawn and myself seemed clear enough.

Couldn't you garner at least this much from the title of the thread and the first couple of paragraphs? But no, you wanted to get to the pink unicorns right off the bat and begin discounting my very first point. Whereas if you go back and re-read your first post, it's obvious that you didn't get it -- or, perhaps it was intentional? -- with all your deriding remarks and attempts to discount my words?

But doesn't anybody know anything around here? Or, do we have to rely on Science for the answers? That's my whole point!
So, if that is the whole point then it should be quite apparent what the answer is.
This has to do with zoobyshoe's illustration about person A trying to explain something to person B, and my suggesting person B doesn't understand, and you coming back and asking, "What if person A doesn't understand either?" which to me is the same as saying nobody understands, and discounts the whole point of this thread (much as your unicorn remarks did). In which case all we have to fall back on is science for an answer. And nobody is challenged to think -- particularly for themselves -- beyond the convention of science.

Perhaps now you can see what my problem is with people who rely exclusively on science for an answer?

Last edited:
As said in this thread, there are those who rely totally and exclusively on science for answers and information and there are those that don't. This makes niether group right or wrong, ignorantor educated, realistic or delusional. It simply is a fact.

I personally have evidedence that God exists. I can and have shown this evidence to anyone who cares to read these post as has Iacchus and others. This evidence is rejected, denied and claimed to be delusional, imaginary, or out and out lies.

The evidence, models, speculations and theories of science have at one time or another been touted as proof of this or that including that God does not exist and anyone who believes in God is believing in fairytales.

Time and time again it has been said that their is no evidence that God exists. Time and time agian it has been said the the Big Bang has been proven on the slim observation of two phenomena that may or may not be related and may or may not have anything to do with the Big Bang which is only a speculated model and not even really a theory, a mere possibility.

We theist believe in both science and God, objectivity and subjectivity, materialism and immaterialism, physics and metaphysics.
Scientific objective materialist believe or so they say in material objects and science only and anyone who believes in anything else is at least by implication a fool.

Again, I, we believe in the existence of God and have sufficient evidence to support our belief. Some of those who do not believe in
God say we have no evidence and the lack of evidence proves that there is no God.

Neither I nor anyone else can prove to anyone that God is;nor, can we show you God. We can only point the way. If you or anyone else refuse to look or to see that's your problem not ours nor does it prove that we are stupid or delusional.

Is that clear enough for you, BH?

And yet you see the whole point about God is, if He does exist, then the whole idea becomes all-inclusive, in which case there's no sense in demanding proof, because the "evidence" is all around us. And it becomes merely a matter of deciding where to begin our search.

Thanks for your reply Royce! :wink:

Well first off I apologize for being such a gruff SOB, but I might not be through just yet.
Couldn't you garner at least this much from the title of the thread and the first couple of paragraphs? But no, you wanted to get to the pink unicorns right off the bat and begin discounting my very first point. Whereas if you go back and re-read your first post, it's obvious that you didn't get it -- or, perhaps it was intentional? -- with all your deriding remarks and attempts to discount my words?
Well, in all fairness I will read the entire post over again…later. You could have tried harder to see my point too, but in any event I’m standing behind my unicorn analogy. Since the people who those claiming special knowledge are trying to convince cannot see this ‘evidence’, as you have called it, we may as well be talking about invisible pink unicorns.

Since the person A and B seemed to work with you, try this;
Person B hasn’t seen them, nor can person A show them to person B. Furthermore, there is no good reason why person B should simply believe what person A tells him. The experience/s apply only to person A. There is no point for person A to lose any sleep over this (even though they do it all the time). No reason except perhaps for Ego. You see Iacchus, I ‘know’ that everyone reading this thread already understands the difficulty of getting others to believe what we say is true. I begin thinking about why people feel the need to convince others in the first place. In all the great universe one tiny little human, seemingly insignificant, must cry out loudly to be believed. Tell me it isn’t just to satisfy the ego.

I view this thread as something akin to an invitation to a group therapy session where those wishing to can join hands and bemoan their fate. There’s not much point to it except to rehash what has already been touched upon dozens of times in other threads.

There, is that mean enough?

All you have, Iacchus32, is a 'what if'...what if God exists, what if I am right, what if we just ignore anything that might constitute a fact, and just stick with the cozy what if?

You have been repeatedly dismissive of facts that disagree with you.What is worse, you have claimed that somehow you sitting in your room with the lights out and some soft music playing is a better method for gathering information than, say, 150 years of anthropological research. You make this claim based, apparently, on the idea that something that you come up with on your own is better than something you read about.

That's odd, because them you quote the Bible, which is a book of things written down by other people. I guess the difference is, the Bible isn't based on evidence and research, so you can accept it too, huh?

I view this thread as something akin to an invitation to a group therapy session where those wishing to can join hands and bemoan their fate. There’s not much point to it except to rehash what has already been touched upon dozens of times in other threads.

It is first that we do not bemoan our fate as you put it. Some of us actually find joy in our fate, or luck, or gift, or blessing that we have found our God and want to share that joy with others, while at the same time seeking affirmatiom of our beliefs, to find others that have had similar experiences so that we affirm what we've seen or found and not that we are really as crazy or dellusional as we are afraid or may think we are.

Your invisible pink unicorn may be real and may even be abundant; but, so far you are the only one that has mentioned it or not seen it. When you produce 5,000 years of writing, testimony and personal experience from millions of sources including some of the best thinkers in history, we may begin to accept that it may be possible but since the is no scientific evidence to support pink unicorns invisible or not we relligate you to the realm of crackpots, fools, uneducated, supersitious, deluded, wishful daydreamer believers.

We are not trying to change anybodies mind or make anyone think as we do. We only present a different interpetation of reality in line with our personal experiences. It is you materialist who have been disrespectful and insulting. We have on occasion replied in kind because we get tired of it. We are human too. Would you not respond in kind if I called you a fool etc. etc. etc. evertime you posted something. Its not about ego, fool, it's about feelings and respect for others and their thinking.

There is no need to be insulting or disrespectful because someone has a thought that differs from yours. That to me is ego or rather lack of it or certainty. To immediately become defensive and strike out at a none believer is an indication that you are not too secure in your own beliefs. You being the generic you and not the personal you.

There I have had my little tyrraid. I will not step down off of my soap box and turn the over the floor to others.

Last edited:
Well first off I apologize for being such a gruff SOB, but I might not be through just yet.
Well, in all fairness I will read the entire post over again…later. You could have tried harder to see my point too, but in any event I’m standing behind my unicorn analogy. Since the people who those claiming special knowledge are trying to convince cannot see this ‘evidence’, as you have called it, we may as well be talking about invisible pink unicorns.
Actually I thought I had worded things in such a way to exclude the possibiltiy of any "imaginary friends." In fact it was the first and foremost thing I wanted understood, that we were talking about things which were "factual." Otherwise, there would be no point in trying to discuss this thread.

Having said that, I think it's fair to say that I can see your point about the pink unicorns, otherwise I wouldn't have done my utmost to keep them out of the thread.

Since the person A and B seemed to work with you, try this;
Person B hasn’t seen them, nor can person A show them to person B. Furthermore, there is no good reason why person B should simply believe what person A tells him. The experience/s apply only to person A.
If this is just a ploy to keep me from talking about it then it won't work. While I'll grant that we all experience things differently, but that doesn't mean we aren't capable of experiencing similar things, otherwise why should I bother typing all these little character things on the computer screen here?

There is no point for person A to lose any sleep over this (even though they do it all the time). No reason except perhaps for Ego. You see Iacchus, I ‘know’ that everyone reading this thread already understands the difficulty of getting others to believe what we say is true. I begin thinking about why people feel the need to convince others in the first place. In all the great universe one tiny little human, seemingly insignificant, must cry out loudly to be believed. Tell me it isn’t just to satisfy the ego.
No, it isn't just to satisfy the ego, although I admit I have one and I do like to have fun. In which case I can't concede that ego is not a part of it either. I also admit that it satisfies the need to learn as well as the need to be understood. And yet if a distinction is to be made, it would be between that of the ego and the soul, where the ego is more materially bent and the soul is more spiritual.

Then by all means, go "haunt" some other thread.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Zero
All you have, Iacchus32, is a 'what if'...what if God exists, what if I am right, what if we just ignore anything that might constitute a fact, and just stick with the cozy what if?
No Zero, the "what if" exists in your mind, not mine. Am I cozy? I don't know if cozy is the right word either?

You have been repeatedly dismissive of facts that disagree with you. What is worse, you have claimed that somehow you sitting in your room with the lights out and some soft music playing is a better method for gathering information than, say, 150 years of anthropological research.
Bones in the ground are just evidence of bones in the ground. They are not evidence that I have a soul.

You make this claim based, apparently, on the idea that something that you come up with on your own is better than something you read about.
Not so. I base it on the fact that I have the ability to see things for myself, otherwise I would have no ability to see anything, even those things which science claims.

That's odd, because them you quote the Bible, which is a book of things written down by other people. I guess the difference is, the Bible isn't based on evidence and research, so you can accept it too, huh?
Well it just didn't appear out of nowhere and it is based upon the human condition, so in that sense it can be construed as evidence.

Originally posted by Royce
It is first that we do not bemoan our fate as you put it.
The fate I’m talking about bemoaning is not being able to convince others that what you believe is true, and I see this going on all the time. People just hate this, and they complain about it constantly.
Some of us actually find joy in our fate, or luck, or gift, or blessing that we have found our God and want to share that joy with others,
I find it interesting how people always feel the need to ‘share’ these things. As long as we are sharing;

No philosophy, no religion, has ever brought so glad a message to the world as this good news of Atheism.
-- Annie Besant

…while at the same time seeking affirmatiom of our beliefs, to find others that have had similar experiences so that we affirm what we've seen or found and not that we are really as crazy or dellusional as we are afraid or may think we are.
Ah, that’s more like it. I find that deep down virtually everyone seems to have their doubts, and this despite how strongly they may claim to believe in something. So you see, it’s like I was saying, it’s all about ourselves.
Your invisible pink unicorn may be real and may even be abundant; but, so far you are the only one that has mentioned it or not seen it. When you produce 5,000 years of writing, testimony and personal experience from millions of sources including some of the best thinkers in history, we may begin to accept that it may be possible but since the is no scientific evidence to support pink unicorns invisible or not we relligate you to the realm of crackpots, fools, uneducated, supersitious, deluded, wishful daydreamer believers.
What is real for you, is only real for you. It makes no difference whether you are talking about invisible pink unicorns or God. I have no reason to believe in either of them and they are therefore on equal standing in my mind until such time as I have reason to believe otherwise. I’m sorry if it insults you to have your God and the unicorns put on the same shelf as I have done but ultimately, and to borrow your own phrase “that’s your problem”.
We are not trying to change anybodies mind or make anyone think as we do.
I think this statement is patently false. To affect a change in people’s thinking is exactly what is being attempted.
…We only present a different interpetation of reality in line with our personal experiences. It is you materialist who have been disrespectful and insulting. We have on occasion replied in kind because we get tired of it. We are human too. Would you not respond in kind if I called you a fool etc. etc. etc. evertime you posted something.
But I’m not calling you a fool, I’m simply saying I don’t share your interpretation of reality.
Its not about ego, fool, it's about feelings and respect for others and their thinking.
Bull$hit, its all about the ego. You said it yourself that; “…while at the same time seeking affirmatiom of our beliefs, to find others that have had similar experiences so that we affirm what we've seen or found and not that we are really as crazy or dellusional as we are afraid or may think we are.”

It’s all about ourselves.

There is no need to be insulting or disrespectful because someone has a thought that differs from yours.
Don’t be so thin-skinned.

To immediately become defensive and strike out at a none believer is an indication that you are not too secure in your own beliefs.
The “seeking affirmation…” I quoted you on above is truly an indication of insecurity in your own beliefs. Yet while having these insecurities many would attempt to convince others they knew the truth.

Actually I thought I had worded things in such a way to exclude the possibiltiy of any "imaginary friends."
Guess again.
In fact it was the first and foremost thing I wanted understood, that we were talking about things which were "factual."
Oh, I think I finally get it; we are supposed to simply presuppose the existence of god as fact and carry forward from there.

Not happening.

Having said that, I think it's fair to say that I can see your point about the pink unicorns, otherwise I wouldn't have done my utmost to keep them out of the thread.
No, you simply attempt to elevate your god above my unicorns, expecting me to believe that there is a difference.

If this is just a ploy to keep me from talking about it then it won't work. While I'll grant that we all experience things differently, but that doesn't mean we aren't capable of experiencing similar things, otherwise why should I bother typing all these little character things on the computer screen here?
Do you want a brutally truthful answer?

No, it isn't just to satisfy the ego, although I admit I have one and I do like to have fun. In which case I can't concede that ego is not a part of it either. I also admit that it satisfies the need to learn as well as the need to be understood. And yet if a distinction is to be made, it would be between that of the ego and the soul, where the ego is more materially bent and the soul is more spiritual.
What soul?
It sounds very much like this soul, if such a thing actually exists, has an ego too.

Then by all means, go "haunt" some other thread.
Just consider me your friendly neighborhood ghostbuster.

Guess again.

Oh, I think I finally get it; we are supposed to simply presuppose the existence of god as fact and carry forward from there.
If you don't consider the possibility, if only for the sake of discussion, then there's nothing to be discussed.

Not happening.
So what's your point?

No, you simply attempt to elevate your god above my unicorns, expecting me to believe that there is a difference.
There's a vast difference between what I believe and what I expect you to believe ... But now that you mention it, what's the difference between a pink unicorn and the formula E=MC2? Neither one is physical, and both are abstract? Hmm ... :wink:

Do you want a brutally truthful answer?
I'm afraid I don't follow?

What soul?
It sounds very much like this soul, if such a thing actually exists, has an ego too.
Actually I think it depends more on whether you're a materialist or a spiritualist, in which case the one is transcendent and the other isn't.

Just consider me your friendly neighborhood ghostbuster.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Last edited:

And yet it's entirely possible for one person or, perhaps a whole group of people (due to the "fact" we're all part of the human condition -- this is the key here :wink:), to ascertain a certain fact (or facts) that others are incapable of. And so the real issue becomes, at what point does a fact become knowable?

Could it be because it has something to do with the notion of God, where the evidence could very well be right under our noses? ... Now that is a distinct possibility! :wink:

Iacchus32, You have made the greatest assessments I have ever seen from such a site. Really, very good questions.

100 people can tell you the sky is pink and one will tell you it is blue. Who do you believe? The one that is right. But how do you know that "one" is right? I can't wait to type this next portion...

Let us not look at the answers but the facts! The fact is you don't know. The fact is you know what knowledge is. The fact is you know what faith is. Relating this to the existence of God, you have, since birth, acquired knowledge until now... yet still do not know answer of whether God exists or not. Eliminating the hordes of knowledge built up on this subject (which seems endless)... the only way to find out the real answer is to, now, perform the necessary steps to acquiring faith. God's word points to Christ (Bible scholars know this); therefore, through Him the answers are reveal, by faith. Just as if you went to college to get the knowledge you desire, by faith, you can go to Christ for the faith you desire and the answers you long for. In the quest for faith and the proof of the existence of God... there are obstacles as there are in gaining knowledge:

1. "Colleges" who lack a real, quality curriculum are abundant.
1a. "Christians" who lack real, quality faith are abundant.

2. "Philosophers" repeatedly display knowledge they DON'T have.
2a. "Christians" repeatedly display the faith they DON'T have.

3. People often forget about the educated idiots that make our children stupider.
3a. People forget about the devil.

Everything respectable has something opposite and equally disrespectable. Beware on your endeavor. Now go find the answer to your questions. Once you find the answer, warning... you will have the burden of pursuading the rest that what you have found is fact! But, don't take my word for it... find out for yourself like I said and become part of the 1% that the God recognizes as His own.
(P.S. Miracles still happen. Oops, am I supposed to be saying that here?)

Ho-hum...
Do you recite this out of a Book or something?

But, don't take my word for it...
Actually, yes, do take his word for it. That's what faith means, remember?

Originally posted by Opinion
Let us not look at the answers but the facts!
Sounds good.
The fact is you don't know.
Sounds real good.
The fact is you know what knowledge is.
Not sounding as good.
The fact is you know what faith is.
Uncertain feeling.
Relating this to the existence of God, you have, since birth, acquired knowledge until now... yet still do not know answer of whether God exists or not.
Feeling better now.
Eliminating the hordes of knowledge built up on this subject (which seems endless)... the only way to find out the real answer is to, now, perform the necessary steps to acquiring faith.
Oops, nausea setting in.
God's word points to Christ (Bible scholars know this); therefore, through Him the answers are reveal, by faith. Just as if you went to college to get the knowledge you desire, by faith, you can go to Christ for the faith you desire and the answers you long for. In the quest for faith and the proof of the existence of God... there are obstacles as there are in gaining knowledge:
*reaches for maalox*

So, we don’t know and lack proof of the existence of God. Finding ourselves dissatisfied in this situation it is now time to simply believe in something comforting. With faith, we may faithfully believe that not only have we adopted the correct faith (or, holy book, for some) but that we may now know all the answers we long for. In short, lack of knowledge and proof may lead to faith, and faith provides knowledge and proof of God.

Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.
- Ambrose Bierce

It’s seems so easy I may have to give a try...

not!