Are Children Getting More Aggressive and Violent?

• Thread starter Diencephalon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
In summary: Got home from a long day at work around 7:50. Check this out... And feel free to add other work related rants if you wish. In summary, my boss yelled at the kids for me and there wasn't a banishment yet.
Diencephalon
Got home from a long day at work around 7:50. Check this out... And feel free to add other work related rants if you wish.

Employer: CEC Entertainment, Inc. Store #510 :: Princeton, NJ
Position: Costume Character (Chuck E. Cheese)

Today a pack of birthday children decided I was something to beat. I was punched in the face (luckily it was the helmet), and had my helmet jerked around by these little monsters... they tried to rip my Chuck teeth out, they punched me in the stomach, tried to pull my pants down, kicked me in the back, and ended up monentarily strangling me with my Super Chuck E cape (which, on the costume, is strung around the wearer's neck with a black elastic band). Luckily my GM, an Italian American from the Bronx, was there to tell them there was going to be trouble if they didn't stop. Then, when I walked up to the blue screen (Studio C), a kid jumped off the camera rig and tried to pull me over backward. He was saying things like "I'm going to punch you in the face!" and proceeded to stomp on my feet repeatedly.

But in a ray of hope, I beat a guy in a DDR Dance-off inside the costume.

Physics news on Phys.org
where do you work?

yomamma said:
where do you work?

Chuck E. Cheese's in Princeton, New Jersey

Where are the parents of these miniature morons? Oh, they're the big drooling blobs at the tables. :devil:

Big morons = little morons.

Yes, I "do" blame the parents for how their kids act. My kids didn't act like that. :grumpy:

it's the parent's fault. you should talk to someone who can ban them from the resteraunt.

God, the noise there must kill you.

Now I know why my parents wouldn't allow me to go to Chuck E. Cheese's as a kid (well, I was a bit bigger than a kid when they first opened where I lived, but still young enough to be under parental rules). And as an adult, I've never seen a reason to subject myself to a place full of screaming children, so I've never set foot in one. Sounds like a good thing I haven't.

And yes, I agree, children only act like that when they have morons for parents who don't drag their snot-nosed bodies back home when they don't know how to behave properly in public.

I hate Chuck E. Cheeses. Hate it. Just today, when the kids wanted to go into the McDonalds playplace I said "that's as bad as Chuck E. Cheeses. Be glad your dad will take you; the energy in that place makes me crazy."

Diencephalon, you are a brave soul. There *are* good children in the world. But they don't eat (much) at your employer's place. Thanks for the story though - it'll be useful for my kids when they want to know why I don't like Chuck E. Cheese. The thought of poor Chuck E. being beat up by other kids, will make them want to picket for rodent rights.

My best friend's 6 year old tries to beat me up regularly. Somewhere he picked up the instinct to go for the spine and kidneys. Fortunately he isn't uncontrolable and doesn't do this sort of thing unless I'm a willing participant.

Jesus christ... sounds like a case for Amnesty International. I haaaaaaaaate kids. If a kid of mine ever did that, id get a baseball bat... and... uhm... teach him to play... yes... that's it...

TheStatutoryApe said:
My best friend's 6 year old tries to beat me up regularly. Somewhere he picked up the instinct to go for the spine and kidneys. Fortunately he isn't uncontrolable and doesn't do this sort of thing unless I'm a willing participant.
Sounds like the kid has aggression issues, that's really not normal.

I really actually like it there. From many people I hear a lot of complaints about CEC food, but for some reason it's all really really good at the Princeton store. We're also one of the most sanitary Chuck E. Cheese establishments in the entire chain. As the mascot, I meet both bad and good children... I met some kids with a heart of gold as well, who give me tokens, tickets, and big warm hugs. When I am at work, I always have a smile, knowing with satisfaction that I've made some child's day. No longer am I easily humiliated, as part of my job is dancing...a lot.

Regarding noise levels: That takes getting used to. Now nothing really bothers me much anymore... plus, when I'm in the costume, the helmet drowns out all the erroneous background screaming and leaves me with just "Chuck i love you!" or "I want to rip your head off!"

YoMama: My boss actually yelled at them for me, but there was no banishment yet. It's to be expected, so I know my *****ing is probably a bit awkward, but i can (contrary to popular belief) feel inside the costume ;). It's padded so those kidney shots aren't so bad.

Diencephalon said:
I really actually like it there.
You're a good kid. :smile:

Still, the parents (and their children) ought to be taught a lesson. :devil: Those little morons are just going to grow up to be big morons (aside from a miracle).

I can just imagine my future job interviews when I get that Nuclear Engineering degree. Could imagine for example an interviewer for an energy company, reading my resumé

"Employed at CEC Entertainment, Inc. as a costume character/dancer"

It'll spark interesting conversation and convince people I have some form of people skills

Diencephalon said:
I can just imagine my future job interviews when I get that Nuclear Engineering degree. Could imagine for example an interviewer for an energy company, reading my resumé

"Employed at CEC Entertainment, Inc. as a costume character/dancer"

It'll spark interesting conversation and convince people I have some form of people skills
Even better: Dancing Rodent. :biggrin: Now THAT ought to get their attention.

I thought you wrote "Evo childron" :rofl: :rofl:

I think some kids forget there's an actual person inside that costume.. :frown:

Evo said:
He does actually, to some degree. His parents are devorced, and it wasn't a friendly affair. Also most entertainment these days seems to be based around violence. It probably didn't help much growing up around us playing board games about war like Axis & Allies and what not.
I was worried that he might get in fights at school but apearantly that hasn't been an issue at all. Oddly enough his new interest is in golf and we have no idea where that came from. He's a good kid and like I said he only beats up on me when I'm up for it. I'm usually the one who starts it by picking him up and dangling him upside down.

Chuck E Cheese was a fun place to go to as a kid.

The OP's incident sounds a bit like Kramer's run-in with the "little fists of fury".

All i have to say is go watch city of God.

Knavish said:
I think some kids forget there's an actual person inside that costume.. :frown:
Actually, that's the point, they're supposed to think it's really Chuck E. :biggrin: The rotten ones probably are more aware there's a person inside than the sweet ones are. No wonder poor Chuck E. has to wear a helmet!

It doesn't matter if it's a costumed character, another kid, a grown-up, or a pet, hitting is NEVER okay. If I ever have kids and they hit someone while out in a restaurant (or anywhere), that would be it, I'd be paying the check while dragging the kid out by the shirt collar (and I'd make them apologize and give ALL their tokens to whoever they hit, since they wouldn't be returning for a LONG time to cash in their tokens).

I remember my bother worked at CEC...for one day. he said it was awful

wow -I totally sympathize with this story. I remember I worked so hard to get elected high school mascot but I quit after 2 weeks. I wore this bear costume and when I walked through the stadium there was always an assortment of ten year olds waiting to beat the stuffing out of me - and of course I couldn't fight back. Little brats!

I make fun one one if my "friends" for being the school mascott. especially after I tried it...once. and it's not only the fact that he's the mascott, that he thinks he;s cool while i the costume And acts like an idiot.

I have a confession to make.
I am the parent of one of "those" kids. My first son had his 6th yr B-day party there. Everything was going well, until I heard a little girl scream ...LETS GET'EM.
This group of normal loving children, became a killer pack of wolfs right in front of my eyes. One of them ripped his tail{Chucky} off and began beating the poor Rat with it. While others pulled/hit at him, trying to get his head off.
The Rat was looking for his "magic" excape door, but with his head now sideways, he couldn't see, and was feeling his way around the wall. He balled himself up on the floor and protected his vital organs.
This took place in a matter of a minute or two. I yelled at the other parents to grab there kids. I looked for mine, and in the madness he had grabed the tail and gotten onto the stage and was swinging it over his head while dancing to "Every little thing she does was magic".
Once order was restored, we were asked to leave, and I was too ashamed to ever go back. My son never acted this way befor or after this event, and yes he was punished when we got home.
I still have no idea why it happened

what did your kid say when you asked?

hypatia said:
Once order was restored, we were asked to leave, and I was too ashamed to ever go back. My son never acted this way befor or after this event, and yes he was punished when we got home.
I still have no idea why it happened
I think this phenomenon would make an interesting psychological study. Perhaps some grant money could be found for it?

I wonder why incidents of rug-rat violence like this never break out at Disneyland? Or do they? :bugeye:

Years later he said, it was like they were possessed by a evil spirit. We never found out which little girl led the attack. And every child with us had a parent with them.
The kids had already played, and had pizza and pop. We were waiting for the cake, everyone was having a good time..then BLAM

Maybe its something they put in the pizza sauce?

Heh, that all I ever wanted to do when I was little: wrestle with my dad. I was a very.. violent child. I got in fights with just about everyone, not so much because I hated them, but I just wanted to see if I could beat them up (I was a pretty big kid too). :biggrin: Terrible, huh?

I use to go to CEC all the time. But I was always afraid of people in customs. Once at my B-day party the guy dressed up as Chucky was right behind me, I turn around then screamed and ran out of the building.

hypatia said:
I have a confession to make.
I am the parent of one of "those" kids. My first son had his 6th yr B-day party there. Everything was going well, until I heard a little girl scream ...LETS GET'EM.
Maybe there are subliminal messages in the music? I've never heard of character maulings at Disney World. :bugeye:

I think it's a little kid conspiracy! : I think that little thread groot is in on it too...

Evo said:
Maybe there are subliminal messages in the music? I've never heard of character maulings at Disney World. :bugeye:

More likely too much caffeine, sugar, bright lights and loud sounds. It's called over-stimulation!

sugar does not cause hyperactivity..

yomamma said:
sugar does not cause hyperactivity..
In small children, you'd be amazed what the sugar in a little candy or cake will do, but sugar plus caffeine, plus bright lights, plus lots of sound, plus lots of other screaming children definitely leads to hyperactivity. :biggrin:

Actually, what's worse is when they start to come down off the sugar high, and turn into grouchy little monsters.

Today wasn't quite as bad. I was only Chuck once because I worked the late shift. I got swarmed and pulled, but the kids were angels today. Now to think about this from a physics standpoint, what do you suppose will happen during my next shift? ;P

Yeah. The worst I ever did with Chuck as a kid was play Mortal Kombat with him. I knew it was someone in a costume and those people don't need beatings. Oddly enough.

I'm waiting for that huge riot that starts to beat me down. Because of the incidents with the tail, like the one that was mentioned, the Chuck E. Cheese costume no longer has one. He also no longer has whiskers. A kid punched me in the face today, but that's about it. Otherwise I had to work Kid Check (ew...) I can't wait for a riot. My boss will be all over those insane kids ready to give a beat down. he he

People think working at CEC is bad but it really just... maybe I'm just really really tolerant. :P